Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
High error rate

My wife and I both have Kindles and the error rate is annoying us immensely.

For example, in 'Staring at the Sun' by Julian Barnes, I've encountered 5 obvious errors in about the first 10% of the book. I've tediously identified their locations for subsequent reporting to Amazon.

Location 71
"his head jerked on Lis neck..."
Should be "his...".

Location 266
"Uncle Leslie went firsthand pulled out both laces..."
Should be "first and...".

Location 437
"I'm sure J will..."
Should be "I will...".

Location 456
"TU tell you..."
Should be "To tell you...".

That took close to an hour of re-reading and message composition. (I've
given up on finding the 5th error.)

So having paid £5.22, am I now to be an unpaid proofreader?

It's clear that these books are being scanned and then being VERY poorly
checked.

I realise that the publisher is the primary villain here, but it's Amazon
I'm paying. Their management of publishers is plainly poor, and customers are suffering.

And to repeat a point that appears to have been made by many over a year
or two, in various forums including Amazon's own Discussions, they should
add a menu item in the Kindle software that would allow users to quickly
report errors AS THEY ARE FOUND. That would considerably speed up their
communication to the publisher and hence correction and re-issue. With a
copy of the revised version going automatically to original purchasers.
It's astonishing that they have not acted on this after so many requests.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
It doesn't really make a lot of sense to complain about this here. Demand your money back and put some pressure on the publisher.

PS: On the K5, you can report errors as you find them.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It doesn't really make a lot of sense to complain about this here. Demand your money back and put some pressure on the publisher.

Damn that's a good feature. Wish the K4 had it.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I've come across errors in every Nora Roberts' book I've borrowed from Overdrive. Very frustrating.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
For what it's worth, in my experience Amazon CS takes those complaints seriously and if there is an update they will offer that to you or a return.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Amazon will definitely provide a refund if the book is that badly edited, and they will stop selling a book that has verifiable errors until the publisher fixes them. I have "returned" a couple of poorly formatted books myself.

I can say that after having read hundreds of Kindle books in the 4 years that I've owned a Kindle, only perhaps a dozen of them have had significant formatting/OCR errors.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 08-17-2012 at 07:26 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I've come across errors in every Nora Roberts' book I've borrowed from Overdrive. Very frustrating.
A lot of backlist eBooks have OCR errors. It seems the publishers don't give a crap. Just scan, OCR, format and done. SO they botch the OCR and they botch the formatting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
For what it's worth, in my experience Amazon CS takes those complaints seriously and if there is an update they will offer that to you or a return.
I've seen them actually yank a title shortly after I complained about it. I'd say that's pretty serious.

I've run into a bad egg a couple of times, but normally ... the ebooks I purchase are quite error-free (or at least no more typos than the average print book has). Maybe I'm just lucky. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, there are generally more errors in eBooks then pBooks. I'm reading Th Shadow of the Wind and it seems to have been a PDF source. There are errors in a lot of the italics that are with non-italic words and also, some of the parenthesis have an extra space at the close. Basically, these errors could have been spotted and fixed have someone just read it instead of the robotic method of convert, format and done without looking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
They're definitely OCR errors, like "hinn" for "him".

Funny thing is I initially make a correction while reading, then the brain says 'huh' and I go back and re-read and see the mistake. LOL

ETA: Sad they didn't make more of a 'human' effort to edit these titles before they put them online. *shrug*

Last edited by copyrite; 08-17-2012 at 07:51 PM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
They're definitely OCR errors, like "hinn" for "him".

Funny thing is I initially make a correction while reading, then the brain says 'huh' and I go back and re-read and see the mistake. LOL

ETA: Sad they didn't make more of a 'human' effort to edit these titles before they put them online. *shrug*
Sadly, pirated versions of many books have a reputation of having many fewer errors than the official versions, having been cleaned up by the pirates after the DRM was stripped. It seems like the paid versions of books should not be WORSE than the pirate versions if the publishers do not want do drive their customers away based on quality issues instead of just DRM issues.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
How can you report errors as you find them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can you report errors as you find them?
Mark and long-tap a word and wait for the dictionary to come up. Click "More", "Report Content Error".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote