Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Verizon said you just go into the store and they do it there for the upgrade. (It looks like it is just a sim card honestly, but I also think they are doing just a straight hardware swap.)

It has weight. 1.5 pounds, and you can tell, but I don't mind it.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
No- you need to send it in for a hardware change. Motorola/Verizon pick up the tab for the whole thing including shipping.

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Equipment/xoom_upgrade.html

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/xoom/upgrade/

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-26-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Very interested, but I think it's not ready for prime yet, they just wanted it out now in order to get a head start on the iPad 2.

For now, my Droid 2 Global and my rooted Nook Color are fine with me. In the coming months I might change my mind, but for now I won't buy anything that's obviously not done a'cookin and needs to put back in the oven so to speak.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

The store said that was not the case. They said it was just come in the store. Of course they could be wrong, but be weird for them to say that.

Something tells me you can do a hardware swap, since everything is getting wiped with the upgrade anyway, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Maybe that is why the store said to me you just come in.

It's only missing Flash. What else is not ready on it? Well and the 4g and micro SD slot, but the software is fine. It isn't like it is broken.

I mean browsing is quick and you have tabs ( it looks like chrome). I mean quick too. Apps run great like angry birds, and kindle, and nook. So does other ones I grabbed. NES emulator was great. I mean I haven't seen anything that tells me, this is a beta, or they rushed it. Only 2 things say rush to me, and that is Flash, and the SD card slot, but I think that has to do with the 4g slot, because when you pull it out there is a fake 4g sim card in there along with a fake microsd card

Last edited by rock; 02-26-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #20
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there's is a component for the LTE that they have to install.

Of course it's your choice- believe Verizon's pages concerning the upgrade path or believe the guy in the store.

TechCrunch review and Engadget said the reason the microSD is not working is because the Sim slot is not switched on in the software. I don't quite understand why they are connected but...
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariel9898 View Post
Very interested, but I think it's not ready for prime yet, they just wanted it out now in order to get a head start on the iPad 2.
My thought as well and in my opinion why they havent priced and launched the wifi only version or versions with less onboard memory.

Moto and Verizon both know the iPad2 is coming soon. So why price yourself against the "old" model. Wait for the launch of the new iPad and its price structure and then they can price against it.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
there's is a component for the LTE that they have to install.

Of course it's your choice- believe Verizon's pages concerning the upgrade path or believe the guy in the store.

My policy is to never believe the (salesman) guy in the store. Though the tear-down website I saw makes it look pretty simple to swap the 3g card (internal) for the 4g card....for what that's worth.

BTW I was was just at costco and they had a huge display (box fulls) of the Purchase Xoom cardboard cards, but I did not see one on display. I did not not ask at the kiosk because I was afraid I'd end up buying one....

I'm doing my best to resist my carnal urges and wait for the next wave...

Last edited by kennyc; 02-26-2011 at 12:00 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
rock
Addict

Like I said, they could be having a hardware swap for upgrades to, but keeping that on the hush hush. I didn't even asked the rep, she told me on her own to bring it in for the upgrade. Don't forget they do get told more in the stores. They didn't even announce the$600 thing until release date, but all verizon employees knew it in advance.

But like Kenny said, I heard it is just a sim card, and you can see where it goes. (where the MicroSD slot is, It says on the plastic 4G upgrade sim, or something like that don't have it on my at the moment.

Last edited by rock; 02-26-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

BTW I was was just at costco and they had a huge display (box fulls) of the Purchase Xoom cardboard cards,
oh really... we were going to make a costco run today. probably best to avoid it. I'm not ready to buy a Xoom just yet
Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #25
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My policy is to never believe the (salesman) guy in the store. Though the tear-down website I saw makes it look pretty simple to swap the 3g card (internal) for the 4g card....for what that's worth.

BTW I was was just at costco and they had a huge display (box fulls) of the Purchase Xoom cardboard cards, but I did not see one on display. I did not not ask at the kiosk because I was afraid I'd end up buying one....

I'm doing my best to resist my carnal urges and wait for the next wave...
Poor Kenny. I know the feeling, if its any consolation. It's a good thing Chris and my Scottish soul both insist on researching any future tech purchase exhaustively, or we'd probably already have a Viewsonic G Tablet. I'm avoiding the Verizon store religiously for the time being, though. Not that I could buy anything that big without consulting Chris first anyway, but I don't want to want one that badly, if that makes any sense.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I just got back from the Verizon store where I spent about 30 mins with it. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes the iPad look boring, seriously. Honeycomb is just an amazing OS. That thing is crazy. I'm very jealous of the people who bought one. Moto did I very very nice job
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I just got back from the Verizon store where I spent about 30 mins with it. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes the iPad look boring, seriously. Honeycomb is just an amazing OS. That thing is crazy. I'm very jealous of the people who bought one. Moto did I very very nice job
Now I have to go look at it!!! Darn YOU!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If only I could as well. Not available in the UK yet
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Its really wild the way you flow through the homescreens etc its just soo buttery smooth and fun to use. Go have fun
Old 02-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #30
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
If only I could as well. Not available in the UK yet
Not yet but it looks like you guys will get the wi fi only version before us though