Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
A question about page number in PRS-505

I have a Sony PRS-505. I made some books from text file from Gutenberg Project using Calibre software. I noticed on the right side of certain pages, there are a small font number. I suppose it is page number of the book.

Obviously, this page number is not the screen page number, it seems to be something more like paper page number, since changing the screen font will not change this number. However, the books I purchased form Sony Reader store did not have the page number on the right side, and the total page numbers changes with the font size.

The question is: how this page number is determined? With a certain paper book size as a reference? Does this page number has any real work paper book page number relevance? Is this page number a Calibre feature or has something to do with Sony PRS-505?

Thank you.

Tao
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll get the marginal page number with any ePub-format book, so your books from the Sony store must be old LRX-format ones if you're not seeing it with those.

Each "page" represents 1024 compressed characters in the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The total page number shown at the bottom right resembles the original page number on my pdf files. The current page I'm on is only true if I read in font size S. Once I switch to another font size on the reader, the current page indexed shows the number as long as I'm on that current page. Sorry, this explanation isn't that good. What I want to say is, that if I read in a larger font size than S (which shows the original formatting), the page number (e.g. 1) stays on 1 even if I have to turn the page 4 times to get to page number 2. Once I reach page 2, the current page index updates to 2. I've also had that it showed 1-2, meaning that on the current displayed page you could find the original page break.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is a problem with Sony Readers and their implementation of the ePub format. It's currently a bit broken until Sony issues a firmware update for the 505, which we can only hope comes some day.

Until then, I recommend you use LRF format in Calibre conversions. It's the PRS-505 native format and still the best choice on that device, imo.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I doubt any FW updates from Sony. I bought my 505 beginning last year. There was one update out by that time. Considering that the 505 has been sold in other countries at least 2 years prior to my purchase without any updates, I think they rather bring new devices rather than FW updates.
That's why I "russified" my 600 one week after purchase. I rather wait for new hacks.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
This is a problem with Sony Readers and their implementation of the ePub format. It's currently a bit broken until Sony issues a firmware update for the 505, which we can only hope comes some day.
Sorry, what do you mean when you say that it's "broken"? This is the standard behavior of page numbering in an ePub file, and it works the same way on all devices which use Adobe's ADE software to display ePub files. In what way do you consider it be "a bit broken"?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Wasn't aware that it's standard ePub formatting, I just assumed it was part of the Sony 300/505/600/700's problems with displaying ePub properly, such as lack of full justification (which IS fixed on the PRS-900).

You mean there's really no way to get device-specific page numbers with ePub? I like one screen to equal one page.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, this is just the way that page numbering works in an ePub file using ADE. It's the same on all devices. The whole point of it is that it's device-independent.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Teddman
Addict

You say "using ADE," so does that mean if you avoided ADE and converted an RTF file to ePub with Calibre and synced it to your Sony Reader, it would have device specific page-numbering (one page = one screen)? I ask because it seems like the original poster didn't use ADE.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

ADE is the name of the software on the Reader which displays ePub files. When you display an ePub (or a PDF) file, you are using ADE.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post

Until then, I recommend you use LRF format in Calibre conversions. It's the PRS-505 native format and still the best choice on that device, imo.
LRF is not nearly as good as ePub. LRF uses simulated italics, simulated bold, and if you want to embed your own font, you are well and truly screwed as the book reading then becomes a chore. ePub can embed fonts quite nicely without a slowdown. Thus you are able to get nice italics and bold or whatever else you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, what do you mean when you say that it's "broken"? This is the standard behavior of page numbering in an ePub file, and it works the same way on all devices which use Adobe's ADE software to display ePub files. In what way do you consider it be "a bit broken"?
Actually, the 900 doesn't have the right margin page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Really? Where does it show page numbers then?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

On the status bar.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the 900 doesn't have the right margin page numbers.
True, but it still "counts" pages the same way.

Tags
calibre, calibre conversion, page numbers, sony 505