Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #1951
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
Oh yeah... that was indeed a big letdown in aevery possible way. especially after Losing my religion.

Ah the Dead Kennedys. I actually like them for some reason.

I think the Dead Kennedys are just more intelligent overall, well Biafra is at any rate. There's lots of punk/American hardcore that isn't mindless and one-dimensional though. I'd cite Minor Threat and the band that followed Fugazi as examples. Although Fugazi might be considered post-hardcore I suppose.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #1952
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I think the Dead Kennedys are just more intelligent overall, well Biafra is at any rate. There's lots of punk/American hardcore that isn't mindless and one-dimensional though. I'd cite Minor Threat and the band that followed Fugazi as examples. Although Fugazi might be considered post-hardcore I suppose.
I don't know anything about the american punk tradition, so I just looked up Fugazi and came upon this track:

This is really really great imo.

Edit: and now I have heard it all. Damn it's good.

Last edited by Laz116; 08-07-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #1953
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
If I ever hear Shiny Happy People again I might go insane
I've never heard it, but I'm always up for a challenge.

vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #1954
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I've never heard it, but I'm always up for a challenge.

Is that the fire of hell slowly consuming them at their happiness in the background?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #1955
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
I don't know anything about the american punk tradition, so I just looked up Fugazi and came upon this track:

This is really really great imo.

Edit: and now I have heard it all. Damn it's good.
Fugazi are one of the best bands to have existed. Ian Mackaye, when he was in Minor Threat, basically invented American Hardcore along with Rollins and his band Black Flag. Some others you might like from that genre: The Minutemen, Drive Like Jehu, Refused (they're a Swedish band and I've linked to them before here, but here's another vid because I like them. If you want to know what all the crappy emo/screamo music came from, this is probably the band - although it's watered down and terrible now.

Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #1956
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
[quote=Laz116;547410]The original is great. Why the cover?

For some reason I find comfort in a group of Belgian teenagers singing "I'm so @##$$%# special."

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 08-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #1957
Laz116
Guru

Quote:
Fugazi are one of the best bands to have existed. Ian Mackaye, when he was in Minor Threat, basically invented American Hardcore along with Rollins and his band Black Flag. Some others you might like from that genre: The Minutemen, Drive Like Jehu, Refused (they're a Swedish band and I've linked to them before here, but here's another vid because I like them. If you want to know what all the crappy emo/screamo music came from, this is probably the band - although it's watered down and terrible now.

Also very good (but not quite the revelation as the fugazi track). I'll have to check out the other references tomorrow. Right now I think I can only manage to backtrack Fugazis catalogue.

Something noisy I like (don't be put off if you have have heard some of their "noisy" 60ties type songs before, this is really what I like about noisy rock... when it's at the very point where the melody is consumed by noise:

Last edited by Laz116; 08-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #1958
Laz116
Guru

[QUOTE=Madam Broshkina;547442]
Quote:
The original is great. Why the cover?

For some reason I find comfort in a group of Belgian teenagers singing "I'm so @##$$%# special.
Ha ha... and singing it in a very conform way. It's all very ironic.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #1959
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Also very good (but not quite the revelation as the fugazi track). I'll have to check out the other references tomorrow. Right now I think I can only manage to backtrack Fugazis catalogue.

Something noisy I like (don't be put off if you have have heard some of their "noisy" 60ties type songs before, this is really what I like about noisy rock... when it's at the very point where the melody is consumed by noise:

I do like that, it's LO-FI like Boss Hog, or The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I'll be looking into more of their music.

EDIT: not the best example of LO-FI, but I've just discovered that some untalented rapper has taken the name Boss Hog and now Youtube is flooded with his videos

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-07-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #1960
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
"I Know It's Over" - The Smiths

Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #1961
Moejoe
Banned

Rage Against the Machine - Calm Like a Bomb

Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #1962
Moejoe
Banned

Clutch - Burning Beard

Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #1963
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am listening to Suni-ai by Snatam Kaur - and smiling.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #1964
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Cats are evil, but Liszt is cool. Piano Concerto #1. Be sure to listen to all four movements. I listened to this a lot in my youth (on 8-track) and realized quickly that Liszt and I had one trait in common: Go FAST! Now go slooooow. Now be INTENSE!!! Now be sweet and gentle. Now be ANGRY! Now be playful. Now repeat many times changing as often as possible in the space of 15 minutes.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #1965
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Joni Mitchell - Hejira:

Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the shums, blues, listening, shumswrisomkw, unutterable silliness, youtubed! :)