Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
My poor Vox

I was one of those who bought a Vox right after it hit the market. Had a few glitches, but I learned to deal with them, and I used the Vox a LOT. Last summer DH won an iPad and promptly passed it on to me. I moved back and forth between Vox and iPad, but eventually I found myself using the iPad more and the Vox less because while I preferred the Vox's size, the iPad just worked better in every way.

I've been away from home for a few months and the Vox has been off for a period of months. Until today...and wow, is it Sluggish! I mean, beyond my being able to attritube it to my being more accustomed to the hardware of the iPad being up to what the software wants to do.

I uninstalled Lookout, thinking maybe it was bogging the whole thing down. It helped a wee bit, but not totally. I did unplug and reconnect the battery, which did correct the sleep of death thing. I've done some reading, which is ok, but I think running a browser is out of the question, it just freezes and crashes.

Has anyone else taken a Vox for a spin after an extended hibernation and found it to be slowwwwwww? I'm going to see if it perks up after I use it some more. If not, it may be time for a factory reset.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Maybe give it an hour or two turned on while it chugs through it's updates. I found that even two days powered off had several updates waiting to come down .
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've allowed a whole lot of updates. Where I am now I actually have a great Internet connection, unlike the satellite ISP I have at home, so this is a good time to update all the devices. I'm still finding the Vox very sluggish compared to before its hiatus. And browsing on the Internet is pretty much impossible now. The device freezes constantly and it's just plain annoying. I haven't tried Angry Birds or other big apps like google maps. I sure do like that the sleep of death thing is fixed. Now I don't have to leave it plugged in all day when I'm not using it.

I'll keep at and see if it improves. I've been reading a kindle book and it's fine with that, although the app is often slow to open. I must confess I haven't launched the kobo app yet. Maybe letting that update will help.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic

Well, Angry Birds froze the Vox on a black screen. I rebooted, tried again, had to remove the back cover and push the reset button. I had also tried the kobo app and it was just annoyingly slow as well. (And the preview banner on purchased books bug is still there and this time not removable by my usual methods.) After using the back reset button, other reading apps (Sony & Aldiko) worked fine. It's looking like the Vox will end up being just a dedicated reader, unless I feel like doing the factory reset thing.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
EazySteve
EazySteve began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Did the vox ever update to ICS?
EazySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazySteve View Post
Did the vox ever update to ICS?
Nope and I doubt it will happen either now that the Arc has replaced it.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Has anyone else taken a Vox for a spin after an extended hibernation and found it to be slowwwwwww? I'm going to see if it perks up after I use it some more. If not, it may be time for a factory reset.
Yup, me. I hadn't used it much - read any - since getting my iPad and then my Nexus 7.

Just after Christmas I brushed the dust off the case, hunted down the Kobo charger and charged it up. I then switched it on and waiting seem never ending for it just to power up.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
EazySteve
EazySteve began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Any outside dev support in upgrades?
EazySteve is offline   Reply With Quote