Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
crahol
crahol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Using WiFi to Transfer from Calibre to Kindle 3

I'm new at this, so please be patient. I cannot figure out how to transfer my converted ebook from calibre to my Kindle 3 through the WiFi. I have Calibre set up so that it is supposed to transfer the ebook to my free gmail account, and I set this up as an approved e-mail account in my Amazon/kindle account. But when I try to sync through my Kindle 3, it doesn't transfer the ebook. Also, there is no "Transfer" button on my tool bar. If someone could provide me with a step by step instruction on how to accomplish this, i would be grateful.
Thanks,
Craig
crahol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I'll answer as best I can then let the experts take over.

You don't "sync" with your kindle.

The 'transfer' button on Calibre is that square thing with the three blue 'knobs' on top.

There should be an arrow, click on the arrow, and choose "email to xxx@xxx"

If that option doesn't appear, its not set up to go.

Or....you can use your usb cord and transfer books that way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
crahol

yes that worked to get the ebook transferred to my gmail account. Now how do i get it onto my Kindle 3 via the WiFi?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Just email the book (as an attachment) from your gmail account to your Kindle email address then have your Kindle connect to a WiFi network to download the book.

I use the xxx@free.kindle.com email address, and have a wireless home network, so I just switch WiFi on in the Kindle, it hooks up to the network, and the book downloads onto my Kindle (no 3G on this Kindle, just WiFi).

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by crahol View Post
yes that worked to get the ebook transferred to my gmail account. Now how do i get it onto my Kindle 3 via the WiFi?
It shouldn't be going to your gmail account.

It should be going directly to your Kindle.

For instance, in the top "big" box, my email says xxxxx@kindle.com
Make sure that email is also on your kindle account at amazon.

Make sure also you've checked the 'auto send' box.

At the bottom, where it says "send email from" is my gmail address.

When you are finished, make sure also, at the very top, you check "apply".

Now....when you click on that 'send' button on Calibre, the address should show xxx@kindle.com
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crahol View Post
You can't send books directly from your computer to the Kindle via WiFi. They have to go the email route and your Kindle will receive them that way.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
crahol

Desertgrandma: Where is this top big box located?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
crahol

JDMike: what doies that mean in layman's terms and how do I acomplish it?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
crahol

DMSmile: How do I figure out what my free.kindle.com e-mail address is?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
crahol

DSMille: I figured that Kindle e-mail address out by lookign on the Kindle menu. And it worked! Hooray! Thank you soooo much.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You need to start by opening "Preferences" & then "Sharing Book by Email" in Calibre.
In the top window, you will need to add an email address as follows:
Yourkindlename@kindle.com and put a check mark in the box next to it.
Make sure you click "Apply" at the top of the window.
Select the book that you want to send to your Kindle and then click on the "Connect/Share" icon on the Calibre menu bar.
One of the choices when the menu drops down is "email to yourkindlename@kindle.com

that should do it for you.,

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Glad to see you got it to work, crahol.

You might want to try what the others are suggesting, now, and set Calibre to send direct to your Kindle's email address, so you don't have to do the double step to get the book from Calibre to your Kindle.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
You have two options:

1 - via email as described above, or

2 - using the remote server in Calibre (see preferences)

You can access the Calibre remote server through your Kindle 3 browser. There should be plenty of info available using search.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
OBoyle
Sr. Reader, Jr. Member
OBoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
You have two options:

1 - via email as described above, or

2 - using the remote server in Calibre (see preferences)

You can access the Calibre remote server through your Kindle 3 browser. There should be plenty of info available using search.
By any chance, does any (or all) of this mean that I could send a book from my Calibre library to someone else's Kindle address?

Thanks.

JLOB
OBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
No reason why not, but you need the other person to list your email address as an approved email sender in their "manage my Kindle" page, and the book will need to be drm free.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote