Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, p-books are still mobile.
True, but not devices.

BOb - Still wishing for a way to ignore threads.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #62
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Considering this whole web site is about ebooks and the devices used to read them on, I don't see how a thread on reading pbooks would apply to the web site. There are plenty of web sites around if you just want to talk about books and reading.
This is somewhat unnecessarily aggressive. This forum is still about reading, and the man has the right to talk about just books (in no relation to ebook readers) if he wants to, although admittedly this would probably not be the best forum section to do it in.

Seriously though Bob, what's with the aggression? Since when does this forum bite people who bring up their objections to ebooks and ebook reading?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #63
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
True, but not devices.
I don't see "device" anywhere in the site name.

Quote:
BOb - Still wishing for a way to ignore threads.
You could always not open them, that works well for me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This is somewhat unnecessarily aggressive. This forum is still about reading, and the man has the right to talk about just books (in no relation to ebook readers) if he wants to, although admittedly this would probably not be the best forum section to do it in.

Seriously though Bob, what's with the aggression? Since when does this forum bite people who bring up their objections to ebooks and ebook reading?
Silly posts receive ad-hoc replies
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #65
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
I have come to the conclusion that ebooks are good, but libraries are way better.
I don't totally disagree but here's my very simplistic view on buying vs. library (which really isn't "vs."). Authors *need* people to buy books. If only libraries were purchasing books, authors would not have enough money coming in to make writing a full time career. It's ordinary people buying books (paper and ebooks) that help to make writing a career. I also think ebooks will be better for authors in the long run if the prices are low enough so that *everyone* can afford to purchase them. With a paper book, once it's purchased, that's it. The book can be loaned around and even re-sold and the author will not see another penny.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is somewhat unnecessarily aggressive.
Sorry, I disagree. It was just my opinion.

Quote:
This forum is still about reading, and the man has the right to talk about just books (in no relation to ebook readers) if he wants to, although admittedly this would probably not be the best forum section to do it in.
I never said he couldn't talk about it. Did I? Don't I also have the right to state my opinion that threads about abandoning all ebooks and reading devices is antithetical to this web site?

I didn't mean to offend anyone, promise.

BOb
Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #67
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Random thoughts:

1) As mentioned, anyone can start his or her own thread. Whether it's much read, however, is problematic.

2) Unlike, balok, I've got so many public domain books and purchased books that I'll never finish them in my life-time.

3) I didn't think you offended anyone, pilotbob. However, the suggestion about ignoring threads is very valid. (I ignore a lot of threads.)

4) I like silly threads, and many will get a response.

5) Read any good books lately, or is everyone just hanging out here?

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #68
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Considering this whole web site is about ebooks and the devices used to read them on, I don't see how a thread on reading pbooks would apply to the web site. There are plenty of web sites around if you just want to talk about books and reading.
The thread would be about abandoning ebooks, not necessarily about reading paper books. Is this site an appropriate forum for discussing reasons not to buy an ebook gadget?
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #69
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Is this site an appropriate forum for discussing reasons not to buy an ebook gadget?
Oh yes! Absolutely!

At least half of our Which one should I buy forum content consists of reasons not to buy any given device, of course those same reasons may be reasons to buy for a different person.

It's far better for a person to consider the "cons" before they buy than after -- even if they end up deciding not to buy. Better a happy non-current-buyer than an unhappy former one.

By all means: if you're interested in starting such a thread, go for it!

I do suggest that our Which one should I buy forum might be the best place for it. You're more likely to reach the people most interested in the question over there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #70
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The thread would be about abandoning ebooks, not necessarily about reading paper books. Is this site an appropriate forum for discussing reasons not to buy an ebook gadget?
That's not for me to decide. Go ahead and start the thread. I'm sure it will be a busy one actually. Although most people may not agree with your premise.

BOb
Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #71
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well, I live a solid 20 - 25 minutes from a library

So I went digital about 7 years ago - gutted it out on pocket pc devices for all that time. Have bought about 280 books - half of them being drm'ed. And, I love, love, love not having to hike to library every two weeks, carrying a load about 20 books in since there's not nearby parking, waiting in line to check out, and never being able to get new books because that entails reserving them and then picking them up w/in 3 days of coming in - I simply can't make it to the library that quickly.

W/ the Sony PRS 505 - I have been blowing through some books - I am able to read much faster than on my pocket pc devices. I have been able to get back my entire collection (since I bought my last phone that was incompatible w/ Microsoft Reader). And, I am a happy camper.

I do trek now for my daughter - she has the same bad habit - 20 books every 2 weeks (more if I could stand to lug them back and forth)- and our library system is very small so the young people's book selection is quite limited and she's read everything appropriate on the classics / Gutenburg site. And, since it's not her money - I won't buy her digital books :-)

I'm going to have to purchase a library card for the next county over once she finishes all the books in our system.

Michelle
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #72
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
My use of the 500 is still a twice daily pleasure with no fading whatsoever. Although the bigger iLiad is a nice looker.... Naaaahh!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 PM   #73
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Yes, but I think you would be in the minority, but that's hardly a reason NOT to talk about something.

Have fun!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:15 AM   #74
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Abandoning ebooks...hahaha

Well, I for one have abandoned pbooks. At least, pnovels. Anything that is just text or that does not gravitate around pictures has been abandoned. I see just one reason to go on reading paper books: unavailability in digital format (well, yeah, smell too, but that can be fixed). When I read pbooks, I would take what I could find, which when you read foreign books is not that much. Buying from Amazon from Spain (there is no Amazon.es) duplicated the book price, and I would just get paperbacks.

The paper quality, font size and the like I had to accept as it was. Furthermore, Paperback is not the best format to read long books. They are hard to handle one handed, and you normally end up reading curved pages in awkward positions and angles. Now, all that was taken for granted and passed unnoticed, since it had always been that way.

Hardcovers offer better quality, but are heavier and more cumbersome to handle. Whoever has read a fat hardcover in bed goes probably through the same process. One page laying to one side, the next to the other side, and sometimes with the book on top. The book is only balanced when you are reading the central part of the text, the pages levitate if not pinned...

I shifted to reading on an Axim X50v three years ago. Boy, how I loved it. I could read one handed in any position, whether in bed, sitting, or in the restroom (one of my favorite places, pity my legs go numb ). The drawback, if any, was that I lost text format. Nevertheless, I shifted for good and I even got in digital format books that I already had in paper.

This January I got my 505, which totally displaced the Axim. Hardcovers normally have a good paper quality that displays better than that of the Reader, but my believe is that many books I read are not worth the extra price. Apart from that difference, which does not make the Reader's image bad at all, The reader offers just advantages.

Of course, you have a point when saying you prefer free paper books to paid ebooks, but that is not a format issue. Would you prefer free pbooks to free ebooks? If not, you are one of us all the same.

Ereaders offer you customized font and paragraph format you can easily standardize to anything you read (This is ever important for people, aged or not, with sight problems), perfect and comfortable (lightweight) one handed reading position in any situation, amazing portability and simplified and extended instant purchase of books. Apart from that, you are reducing your use of paper, which, no matter how romantic, is not precisely one of the most ecologic products we use.

If you still do prefer paper books, then you probably are just rejecting the current technology. E ink can only get better. For most of us, when rejecting one ebook Reader, it is just in favor of another brand Reader, not in favor of going back to paper. That won't happen. E ink could be (and will be) better, but it is already pretty good.

Anyway, I think you can share your thoughts with us whenever and wherever you want, since we often go offtopic ourselves (not that I think your posts are offtopic in this thread at all, they are just a little bizarre ), except maybe in the technical threads. Feel free to comment whatever, whenever, and this thread is as good as any to share your thoughts.

In the end, it is reading that matters, not the tool.

Last edited by Peto; 09-25-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #75
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
I'm going to have to purchase a library card for the next county over once she finishes all the books in our system.
Many (most?) local libraries will acquire any book you ask for, as long as it fits within their acquisitions policy, which usually covers all novels, for example. They can also do inter-library loans (ILL), usually for free. So it may not be necessary to switch libraries just yet. Besides, the other library's collection is probably very similar to your current one.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote