Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #46
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Many thanks for your support.

Finally, regarding financial compensation, at this point I'm more than happy with the enthusiastic emails I'm getting and hearing from you guys enjoying Marvin. Btw, what would you think is a fair price?

Kris
Hard to say. Most 'premium' apps for iPhone are being priced at $1.99-$2.99. Since yours is an iPad first app, you could probably charge $2.99-$3.99. I read so much on my iPhone that I'd gladly pay that much, but I doubt I am typical.

You may find it is more interesting to offer your app for free with an optional in-app purchase ($1.99, let's say) that unlocks certain non-essential but useful features such as: summary creation, deep view, additional themes, increased number of books in library (i.e. maximum of 5-10 titles in your library for unpaid version, unlimited for paid). That approach is having a lot of success lately.

Last edited by holymadness; 12-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #47
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Hard to say. Most 'premium' apps for iPhone are being priced at $1.99-$2.99. Since yours is an iPad first app, you could probably charge $2.99-$3.99. I read so much on my iPhone that I'd gladly pay that much, but I doubt I am typical.

You may find it is more interesting to offer your app for free with an optional in-app purchase ($1.99, let's say) that unlocks certain non-essential but useful features such as: summary creation, deep view, additional themes, increased number of books in library (i.e. maximum of 5-10 titles in your library for unpaid version, unlimited for paid). That approach is having a lot of success lately.
The "lite" version approach should work. That way people can freely evaluate the app, without being forced to buy something they might not like. Then if you like it, purchase the unlock in app.

I like it. I know of several apps I have purchased under that approach.

Cheers

Art
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kris is offering it for free right now, so we are able to evaluate it. I agree that free lite version perhaps with ads would be ideal once he gets it updated, and a paid version at $4.99 USD or less.

Good work Kris! Your app already rivals Bluefire which has been out for a long time now.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #49
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another suggestion, if I may.

When you get around to implement OPDS support, please make downloading multithreaded. Every reader out there, except for Stanza is busy indefinitely while downloading. Imagine downloading a large book on a slow connection. Annoying to say the least.

Stanza downloads multiple books in the background. Even offers the choice to download all the books in a page, such as when you visit a series page and you decide to get them all.

Failing multiple concurrent downloads, then a queue that continues in the background while you surf the catalog or continue reading would be good.

And on the order of format support, I would like to see one other format. CBZ/CBR (comic books). I am half tempted to ask for PDF, but I really don't like the format on principle.

Cheers

Art
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
artbatista
Groupie

I hope you don't mind, but the more I use Marvin, the more suggestions come to mind.

Feature request:

An icon on the status bar to quickly switch between night and day modes.

Art
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #51
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I've been in touch with Kris by email, but I will add my main wish list item here as well...

I gotta say it... Auto-scroll! Having just acquired a Nexus 7 and explored Moon+ Reader, I'd love to see both a standard auto-scroll, and a "rolling blind" style auto scroll. I do think MoonReader's 5 autoscroll modes are overkill, but simple pixel by pixel scroll, and rolling blind by pixel would be fabulous! And gesture controls for scroll speed, stop, start.

Most of my other wishes are already on the roadmap, but Goodreads integration/bookshelf syncing would be nice.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
And on the order of format support, I would like to see one other format. CBZ/CBR (comic books). I am half tempted to ask for PDF, but I really don't like the format on principle.
That is probably going too far with formats IMO, especially the PDF.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #53
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I too would suggest forgetting about Mobi support even Amazon Japan now only publishes in ePub so maybe we will eventually see the death of it as a format in the future.

I would like the night / day toggle button too. Marvin has taken over from Bluefire for me on my Mini.

Thanks for a great app.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #54
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks for all your suggestions and tips. I have made a note all of your ideas for development. Give me time

Unless there is an overwhelming demand, I doubt I'll ever add PDF. There are many fantastic PDF readers out there that already do a great job. Goodreader comes to mind.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #55
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Currently when you turn a page, Marvin alternates between showing the name of the book and the name of the author in the title of the page.

Following Shykat's suggestion, I added a "percentage in the book" counter in the title as well. Now the title alternates between book/author/percentage.

You can see what it looks like here: http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

Let me know what you think.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #56
kguil
Addict

@artbatista: I added a button in the Dropbox view that allows you to open the official DB app if your book isn't in the list (due to the 1000 book limit). It will be in the next update arriving about next week. You can see what it will look like on Marvin's website.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #57
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
I do have to say this is really first class - an excellent app already.

Well done - most impressive.

A couple of things to think about next year when you upgrade:

As mentioned before - ability to alter paragraph spacing.

Also - I do like the ibooks shelf system where I can see all the covers in their glorious colour, so something like that would for me be the icing on the cake.

Marvin is now already my preferred reader.

Out of interest - how did the name come around? Anything do do with paranoid androids or ( given the glasses icon) Hank Marvin?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #58
kguil
Addict

Thanks Richard!

Hmm... was meaning to keep that a secret But your first guess is correct. Now everyone knows I'm a geek. The spectacles are the ones I wear. Wanted to "put a little of myself" in the app.

Added the shelves idea to the to-do list.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #59
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I have a question for you, Kris. Is there, or will there be, a 'minimalist' reading mode that removes everything from the screen but the text, as in the Kindle app? Or will the book name and progress be on permanent display on the top and bottom, as in iBooks?

Last edited by holymadness; 12-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #60
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Off topic - I remember listening to the very first episode of HHGTTG in 1970 something. Absolutely excellent radio.

Keep up the brilliant work.
Closed Thread