Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any way to buy previous editions from Amazon, as I believe one could (?) from FW?
Even at Fictionwise only the previous half dozen or so issues were available. I'm not sure if you can choose to start with an older issue at Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I'm also going to miss buying Asimov's discounted at Fictionwise. As a substitute, I see that Lightspeed can be purchased in epub directly from their website: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/ebooks/ (I haven't actually purchased it this way, so not sure about DRM). It also looks like it can be discounted at kobo.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I'm also going to miss buying Asimov's discounted at Fictionwise. As a substitute, I see that Lightspeed can be purchased in epub directly from their website: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/ebooks/ (I haven't actually purchased it this way, so not sure about DRM). It also looks like it can be discounted at kobo.
I looked into them a couple of months back and I'm pretty sure they're DRM free. Additionally, if you purchase a lifetime subscription for $500 (iirc), you get all issues past, present, and future in multiple formats.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I looked into them a couple of months back and I'm pretty sure they're DRM free. Additionally, if you purchase a lifetime subscription for $500 (iirc), you get all issues past, present, and future in multiple formats.
Where did you find the lifetime subscription? It sounds interesting but I can't find it.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Where did you find the lifetime subscription? It sounds interesting but I can't find it.

Graham
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/su...-subscription/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Harry, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America negotiated a deal with Dell Magazines that allowed them to sell back electronic issues of ANALOG and ASIMOV'S, but only going back a limited number of months (six, I believe). The reason was that the magazines only acquired (and paid for) First Serial Rights, and allowing back issues to be perpetually for sale was cutting into the authors' abilities to sell reprint rights to their stories to anthologies, and depressing the market for authors' own story collections.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Ah, thanks. I misread hwlester's post. I thought it was referring to Asimov's. Sorry.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did a trial subscription of Analog this morning. Unfortunately, the current issue is the January/February 2013 issue I bought from FictionWise with the last coupon... As someone pointed out, it does appear to be DRM-free, although it can't be directly loaded from the Nook site. (I downloaded to the Nook for Android, then opened the epub in Sony Reader for Android to test.) Someone also pointed out that Fictionwise's files were smaller which also appears to be true (504k vs. 1.1M). Not sure where the difference is, but I suspect it's HD images for the color nooks.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't see a January/February 2013 issue of Analog at Fictionwise.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I don't see a January/February 2013 issue of Analog at Fictionwise.
I'm wondering if they pulled it. It was posted, along with the January 2013 issue of Asimov's, just before the shutdown announcement. Both no longer seem to be on Fictionwise.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Someone also pointed out that Fictionwise's files were smaller which also appears to be true (504k vs. 1.1M). Not sure where the difference is, but I suspect it's HD images for the color nooks.
Well, I compared the FW version with the B&N version and other than a couple of whitespace formatting differences in the OPF file and the addition of a nook-specific tag in the OPF file, the contents are identical. The difference is that the Nook version is uncompressed while the FictionWise is compressed. So... If they are DRM-free and you want to shrink them, you can extract them and re-compress them.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #27
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I don't have any any Andriod devices but I do have an ipad, so I have done a trial subscription to Asimov's. (I'm in the UK). But I don't want to read on the ipad, as I do all my reading on my Kobo. However there does not seem to be any way to get the epub from the Nook ipad app onto my PC so I can then transfer to the Kobo. Also the subscription has not appeared in my Library on the Nook web-site, so I cannot download from there to my PC/Kobo.

In short, I'm stuck. This is so frustrating...I have bought this magazine for years, first in paper and then from FW. And now I can no longer read it! (I don't consider the ipad a reading device). Don't the publishers want my money?

Is Andriod more open than the ipad? It seems that if you download the mag to an Andriod device, you can then get the epub of the device into Windows?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There is software that extracts files from the backup of the iPad that iTunes makes
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Even better, I think I have cracked it! I used Nook for PC for download the epub to my PC. On Windows 7 the epub gets saved to C:\Users\user\Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\your email address. As others have said, the epub is not encrypted so it is a simple matter to transfer to the Kobo.

Nook for PC is not (yet) supported in the UK so it is not listed as one of the supported devices when you purchase the subscription on the Nook UK web site. But you can download Nook for PC from the USA site (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-for-pc/379003591/) and it works fine. Also the subscription is not showing in My Library on the Nook web site, but I'm not worried about that. The main thing is that it appears in the Nook for PC library (under eMagazines).

This should work out better/cheaper than FW, where they stopped subscriptions some time ago, so I have had to buy each issue individually. Now I can have a cheaper subscription from B&N.

Also the epub format I think is very similar to the format FW was selling recently. The Asimov's epub on FW changed format internally a few months ago. The old format had much better use of css and was produced by converting from another format to epub using Calibre (obvious because of all of the Calibre styles in the css). The format changed a few months ago on FW, and the same new format is being used by B&N (presumably it is the supplier who changed the formatting). Now the formatting is more "primitive" - less css, no paragraph indents, limited use of style classes and no evidence of Calibre. I always do my own styling anyway, so I can use my existing styling that I have been using when I got the mag from FW.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Harry, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America negotiated a deal with Dell Magazines that allowed them to sell back electronic issues of ANALOG and ASIMOV'S, but only going back a limited number of months (six, I believe). The reason was that the magazines only acquired (and paid for) First Serial Rights, and allowing back issues to be perpetually for sale was cutting into the authors' abilities to sell reprint rights to their stories to anthologies, and depressing the market for authors' own story collections.
Thanks, Robert - that makes sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote