Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #31
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I see that 5.x is the latest. I also see the status bar in "most" cases, but not when I have a book open in the Kobo reader or Overdrive. Presumably that's when one would want to know if the battery is close to dying. However, I have seen a warning pop up when the battery is supposedly down to 10%, but can't remember if it was with a book open or not. This was when I tried to charge a 50% full battery using a cheap 500ms USB charger, so I think the indication was spurious anyway. So, until Kobo fixes the battery indicator to be more reliable, would Battery Indicator Pro really be reading the battery condition independently, or what the Vox tells it? Do you see different levels in the Vox battery icon and the BIP indicator, or does the latter replace the former?
I've had the low battery indicator pop up in the middle of Overdrive and a book on my Kobo App. It's frustrating that you cannot see the battery level (and an accurate one, at that) when reading.

I am going to wait until they've fixed the battery indicator before I go looking for an app to show it to me! Kind of pointless, at the moment. As long as I charge my Vox on a daily basis, I am usually fine, anyway...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #32
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
I would love to be able to turn the button backlight off.
In low-light situations, there are many possibilities to further decrease the display brightness, like JuiceDefender or ScreenFilter, but the button backlight always stays on, radiating like a lighthouse (very useful to see where you're going when you walk around the house with the lights off).

For an eReader, it would make sense that the button backlight has an airplane mode like button.

The perfect option would be to have a setting that timeouts the button backlight. After 10 seconds it can turn off, and as soon as I tap again on any button, the lights go on again and I can use the buttons normally.
This would really make sense if it is associated directly some kind of trigger. For example, when any application hides the status bar (i.e. all reader and video apps). Or maybe when the brightness drops below a certain value, i.e. 10%.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #33
BWinmill
Nameless Being

A lot of my wish list has been addressed by others, so here's some more:

Support for more formats. I have Kobo's reader, Overdrive's reader (handle's Adobe's DRM), Adobe Reader, Amazon's reader, and a DjVu reader installed on my Vox. There are a few other common formats out there too, and they require separae apps. Kobo could integrate all of that (except for encrypted MOBI) into their reader and make everyone a lot happier. After all, it would make it easier to find stuff in library (everything is in one place) and reading life would be more meaningful (I like the basic stats).

Ensure that the reading experience is on par with the Touch. There are a lot of small things to deal with here. The dictionary, highlights, and notes are poorly integrated. Kobo uses it's own menu for some things, and Android's menu for other things. I have to tell it to update the library manually. We need a true factory reset (this is arguably more important on the Vox since more people are hacking it).

As for the hardware stuff, I definitely agree that the next version needs a sliding or recessed power switch, a longer cable on the charger, and a better speaker. And please work on the weight! I have no idea why, but it feels like it weights 10 times more than the Touch even though it's only twice the weight. So trimming a few grams will probably make it much more pleasurable to read on.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Better Google Integration

Since this is an Android device I'd like to see better integration and synching with Google apps such as the Contacts in GMail. You don't need to re-invent the wheel with your own contacts and people, especially since they won't even import contacts from GMail!

I'd also like to see Less reliance and connectivity with Twitter and especially Facebook. Some people may Choose to use Facebook, fine, they take their chances with privacy concerns, etc. But all roads from Kobo should not lead to Facebook by default. This is not a Facebook device, is it? Or are they paying you a lot for this? In that case your independence has been compromised!

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Since this is an Android device I'd like to see better integration and synching with Google apps such as the Contacts in GMail. You don't need to re-invent the wheel with your own contacts and people, especially since they won't even import contacts from GMail!

I'd also like to see Less reliance and connectivity with Twitter and especially Facebook. Some people may Choose to use Facebook, fine, they take their chances with privacy concerns, etc. But all roads from Kobo should not lead to Facebook by default. This is not a Facebook device, is it? Or are they paying you a lot for this? In that case your independence has been compromised!

I have my Gmail syncing with my Vox email client. In doing so, it brought over my contacts and calendar entries. My complaint with that now is that whenever I type, the auto suggest brings up people in my address book. Don't type their names much. What I would like is to import a dictionary. Anyone know how to do that?

As for Facebook... you don't have to integrate with it. My Mother-in-law got a Vox for Christmas. She doesn't have a FB account, so I just skipped over it for her. No problems.
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #36
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
What I would like is to import a dictionary. Anyone know how to do that?
You might want to look at an alternate keyboard like swype (my choice!) or swiftkey x.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #37
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I have my Gmail syncing with my Vox email client. In doing so, it brought over my contacts and calendar entries.
Mail was simple to setup. But the only way I managed to get the Calendar and Contacts to work was by adding the Google Apps. Did you do the same, or am I missing something?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #38
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Mail was simple to setup. But the only way I managed to get the Calendar and Contacts to work was by adding the Google Apps. Did you do the same, or am I missing something?
If you search around this forum, there are instructions for setting up sync to google without installing the apps.

[edit]: Here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=sync+google
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #39
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
I would love to be able to turn the button backlight off.
In low-light situations, there are many possibilities to further decrease the display brightness, like JuiceDefender or ScreenFilter, but the button backlight always stays on, radiating like a lighthouse (very useful to see where you're going when you walk around the house with the lights off).
I doubt the button lights can be easily dimmed. What I find works is a simple strip of white paper, about 1/2" x 4". I stick it in the bottom of the book cover frame when reading in the dark in night mode. The button lights are subdued to where they are not much brighter than the text with the screen filter and the buttons still work. If you don't use a book cover, try a piece of masking tape.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #40
BlueSky22
BlueSky22 began at the beginning.

I would like to see a file manager installed so people like me without wifi could download apps and sideload them via USB connection. There are several apps already installed, but there seems to be some important ones like this missing!
BlueSky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #41
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I doubt the button lights can be easily dimmed.
The button light goes off when you touch them, so they can turn off and can turn on again. Good chances it's a software question.
On my telephone I have a script to turn off the button backlight, which can be controlled through /sys. I just didn't find the relevant file in /sys on the Vox - either they named the file something completely different or they don't have the kernel module in it. They should put it in.

I have a cover where the Vox is fixed with 4 little straps. Got some velcro and electrical tape and can velcro the tape on the two lower straps. During the day, I velcro the strap on the back of the cover.
Still, it could be so much easier.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, vox, wishlist