Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Comics on iPad

Good demo here towards bottom of page of a comic app on an iPad

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Comi...ad-100117.html

I really think this is 25% of what I will use my iPad for.

Web
Comics
TV/Movies
Games

As long as all of those are GREAT on the iPad I will be very happy.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Comics are the clincher for me. Comiczeal (http://www.bitolithic.com/ComicZeal/comiczeal.htm) works well on the iPhone considering the small display, but it should be awesome on the iPad. And they will be just one of the companies along with ComiXology working on an app. The iPad just looks like the perfect form factor for comics, magazines, text books etc.

Don't get me wrong I still love my eink device (prs-505) and will continue to use it for novels. But surely I can't be the only person on here looking forward to having an iPad as a companion device to go with their eink one? Then again the Notion Ink Adam looks interesting too, but I doubt it'll be as sleek as the iPad

EDIT: oh and tbh stustaff we seem to be the only ones liking the iPad atm. Anyone else want to join us?

Last edited by deltop; 01-29-2010 at 05:26 AM.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Comics are the clincher for me. Comiczeal (http://www.bitolithic.com/ComicZeal/comiczeal.htm) works well on the iPhone considering the small display, but it should be awesome on the iPad. And they will be just one of the companies along with ComiXology working on an app. The iPad just looks like the perfect form factor for comics, magazines, text books etc.

Don't get me wrong I still love my eink device (prs-505) and will continue to use it for novels. But surely I can't be the only person on here looking forward to having an iPad as a companion device to go with their eink one? Then again the Notion Ink Adam looks interesting too, but I doubt it'll be as sleek as the iPad

EDIT: oh and tbh stustaff we seem to be the only ones liking the iPad atm. Anyone else want to join us?
I love the idea, but I think it looks awful (bad design, Apple, cheap looking design) and it's too restrictive both in line with my politics and on a practical level. I'll wait to see what Asus do or any of the other slew of tablets that are bound to turn up soon and at a lower price (especially the Adam, which looks awesome).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love the idea, but I think it looks awful (bad design, Apple, cheap looking design) and it's too restrictive both in line with my politics and on a practical level. I'll wait to see what Asus do or any of the other slew of tablets that are bound to turn up soon and at a lower price (especially the Adam, which looks awesome).
I'm liking the design but will reserve judgment until I've actually tried it. I think if the reports are true then the asthetics will be easier to appreciate when actually using the thing.

It IS a very restrictive platform true enough, I'd also prefer a more open os too. I guess it all depends for me on wether companies that produce apps I like will be supporting Android as well as the Apple app store.

I just can't see tablets that use a full os such as Win7 having a decent battery life or a fast startup. So android or an apple device for me most likely. It's limiting when it comes to applications but I want a reading/entertainment device not a mobile computer system. Anyway lots can change in 60 days
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
While not sold on the iPad, I am certainly open to it. Not really a comic reader, but I must say I like the way at least pictures of the iPad look with the book reader. The screen, more than likely, will not have the eye strain issues since it is not a florescent back lit display. I see it as a potential laptop/eReader replacement.

I will not however be an early adopter. I want to know it's read world battery life, for 100% sure it will read non-drm books, and the durability factor. I also of course want to know the bugs and "issues" that will become apparent when people actually own it and use it. Since it will be two months before it even goes on sale, it will be a while before those basic questions are answered.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert