Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
I'm so sorry!!! I didn't mean to copy the WHOLE error message. Pardon me for the long post! That was my first post in the forum. Now I'll get kicked out for being stupid!
Neh, only people with ONE post are kicked out, you're safe

Next time use the crossed-eye symbol, it will wrap your text in spoiler tags which you can click on afterwards to reveal the text.

Regards,

Joop
Old 01-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
"may not be apparent", I can't think why you might think that but yes, it does explain it.

BUT, I've added a screen cap to show what it looks like. In my case it makes the catalog confusing.

Is there a way to turn it off and have a straight alphanumeric sort?
Definitely confusing with lots of numbers in the titles, I agree.
I will look at adding an option to use straight alphanumeric sort.

G
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
I'm so sorry!!! I didn't mean to copy the WHOLE error message. Pardon me for the long post! That was my first post in the forum. Now I'll get kicked out for being stupid!
GinnyB - this problem is not within the Catalog code

According to Kovid, disk I/O errors occur because of an inability to access the metadata.db for read/write access. Typical cause might be that your database is on a mounted network drive. If that's not the case, please post more details about what you're doing when the error occurs.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-26-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Likely cause: database on network drive
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
woops sorry didn't mean to post that here.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@GinnyB: What operating system are you on?
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post

Next time use the crossed-eye symbol, it will wrap your text in spoiler tags which you can click on afterwards to reveal the text.

Regards,

Joop
Or use "CODE" tags which will make a scrollable text box within your post. CODE tags are inserted with the "#" button when in posting mode, and on the toolbar.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I certainly think that an option to have numerics treated as numerics for sorting purposes would be a good idea (in fact I think it should be the default). I cannot think of a case where I have numerics in a Title/SeriesName where I would want them sorted on the text equivalent of the numerics.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I certainly think that an option to have numerics treated as numerics for sorting purposes would be a good idea (in fact I think it should be the default). I cannot think of a case where I have numerics in a Title/SeriesName where I would want them sorted on the text equivalent of the numerics.

Those Alpha-Numeric values should (normally) sort properly because of the leading 0's

100 < wrong, 3 characters. Make all 3 characters to avoid

all sort correctly because the ASCII weight of a 0 is less than any other digit

Always pad 0's to make all Numeric entries the same length of digits.

In the photo, the DC special should sort AFTER the numbers since the text before this point is the same.

Last edited by theducks; 01-26-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: DC note
Old 01-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #24
GinnyB
GinnyB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JvdW View Post

Regards,

Joop
ha ha! Thank you. I about died when I saw that huge post! I'm home recovering from surgery yesterday so a putzin around with Caibre and reading my Kiindle. (That's the only good thing about having surgery - I can read all day and all night and hubby doesn't complain - I just moan a little and click next page! ha ha)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #25
mysticalinc
mysticalinc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Failure to generate catlaogue

When I try to generate a catalogue with Calibre, I get this message:

ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Generate catalog

Generate catalog
Catalog_EPUB_MOBI:run
path_to_output: c:\users\douglas\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.6.36 _06k8co_catalog_out.mobi
Output format: mobi
Book count: 68
opts:
basename: Catalog
catalog_title: Doug's Books
creator: calibre
descriptionClip: 250
exclude_genre: \[[\w ]*\]
exclude_tags: ~,Catalog
fmt: mobi
log: <calibre.utils.logging.Log object at 0x04DB2CF0>
note_tag: *
output_profile: kindle
plugin_path: <class 'calibre.library.catalog.EPUB_MOBI'>
read_tag: +
search_text: None
sort_by: None
verbose: True
CatalogBuilder(): Generating mobi for kindle
0.00% fetchBooksByTitle()
0.08% fetchBooksByAuthor()
0.15% generateHTMLDescriptions()
0.23% generateHTMLByTitle()
0.31% generateHTMLByAuthor()
0.38% generateHTMLByTags()
using default cover for 'Calibre Quick Start Guide'
generating new thumbnail_default.jpg
0.46% generateOPF()
0.54% generateNCXHeader()
0.62% generateNCXDescriptions()
0.69% generateNCXByTitle()
0.77% generateNCXByAuthor()
0.85% generateNCXByTags()
Python function terminated unexpectedly
list index out of range (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 99, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 59, in gui_catalog
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 2391, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 772, in buildSources
File "site-packages\calibre\library\catalog.py", line 1901, in generateNCXByTags
IndexError: list index out of range

ANy help would be appreciated. Thank you, mysticalinc
Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
GRiker

mysticalinc: This failure occurs when there are no genre tags in your database.

Fixed in next release.

G
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #27
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those Alpha-Numeric values should (normally) sort properly because of the leading 0's

100 < wrong, 3 characters. Make all 3 characters to avoid

all sort correctly because the ASCII weight of a 0 is less than any other digit

Always pad 0's to make all Numeric entries the same length of digits.

In the photo, the DC special should sort AFTER the numbers since the text before this point is the same.
I would be more than happy if when numeric fields occurred they were sorted on the absolute numeric value rather than the ascii values of the numerics..
e.g. 2 is larger than 01 and 100 is larger than 0001.
That would avoid having to include leading zeroes to get the sort correct.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #28
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
The books should be sorted by title. However, there are some sorting features that may not be apparent:

* Leading stop words (The, A, An ...) are ignored
G
I'm not sure that part is working either. The pic shows some "The"s which don't seem to ignored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OddSorting2.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	44347  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
GRiker

Title sorting will be reworked in the next release.

G
Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #30
GRiker

banjomike: Fix implemented. The new approach only converts numbers to text equivalent if the title starts with a number, e.g. '1776: The Beginning'. Any numbers in the title after the first word are treated as numbers and sorted in digit order.

itimpi: I implemented a simple algorithm for numbers between 000 and 999 which will do what you're asking for in post #27. A more sophisticated implementation will have to wait until later.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 01-26-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
book catalog