Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
levi_john
levi_john began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Project Gutenberg

When I download books from Project Gutenberg onto my Sony PRS505 the text often does not fill the full width of the page. For example one line may be the full width ,whilst the next line down might only have one word on it and then the next line down will again be the full width. I can read it like this but clearly it is not right. Can anyone help

Last edited by levi_john; 01-07-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typing error
levi_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Project Gutenberg texts are formatted with fixed line lengths, rather than as logical paragraphs. You'll need to do a little reformatting to get them to read well on your Sony.

First - check the ebook forums here to see if someone has already done a good conversion.

If not - check to see if there's an HTML version at Projewct Gutenberg - this will almost certainly work better than plain text

If you must - open the text up in a text editor, and do a few global search and replaces:

(1) search for two new line characters in a row, and replace with "[paraend]"
(2) search for any new line character, and replace with a space
(3) search for [paraend] and replace with a new line character
(4) search for two spaces in a row and replace with a single space.

That should make your reading experience a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi_john View Post
When I download books from Project Gutenberg onto my Sony PRS505 the text often does not fill the full width of the page. For example one line may be the full width ,whilst the next line down might only have one word on it and then the next line down will again be the full width. I can read it like this but clearly it is not right. Can anyone help
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, levi_john! Bad line formating can make reading a miserable experience. As pdurrant mentioned, be sure to check out the Ebooks here. Our members are very conscientious about uploading properly formatted books for the reading pleasure of others.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There are several ways round this problem.
1. Paste the text file into a doc and run stingo's word macro, which you can find here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
2. Try putting the text into BookCreator and tidying it there very quickly. It is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
3. Run it through Gutenmark (google to find it).

3. Or do a search and replace as pdurrant describes. I do a similar process:
I paste the text file into a word doc, then click on "edit" and open "Find and Replace."

1. search for ^p^p. (Click on "more" and "special" to find the paragraph symbols.)Replace with ## or @@ or . (This is a placeholder for the paragraph breaks. You want to strip out the single linebreaks but leave the genuine paragraphs.)
2. Search for ^p. Replace with a line space.
3. Search for ##. Replace with paragraph mark.
This should sort the text out. Save as an rtf, or just leave as a doc. The reader will convert it automatically.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I use a clever program that I downloaded which will take care of most of the PG text problems. It's called "GutenMark" and comes from http://www.sandroid.org/GutenMark

GutenMark outputs HTML or LaTeX. After converting the text file to HTML with GutenMark, I then follow HarryT's directions for using BookDesigner and then MobiPocket creator to create MobiPocket books. Next, I use Calibre to create the Sony BBeB format and ePub. Lastly, I feed the MobiPocket book into Mobi2IMP and create the .imp formats.

If I'm going to be converting a book for my own purposes, I go ahead and create all the formats and upload here. I figure someone else might be interested.

Update: I missed Patricia's mention of GutenMark. Sorry.

Last edited by Elsi; 01-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi levi_john amnd welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
levi_john
levi_john began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi_john View Post
Thanks for all of the responses on sorting out the text on my Sony Reader.

I have just tried the HTML approach and it works well and will shortly be trying out the others. Thanks. John
levi_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
coolbooks
coolbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coolbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coolbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have created a site that takes books from Gutenberg and creates lrf format books on the fly. You can also set margins and font size.

This is provided free of charge at www.coolfreebooks.com

Regards,

Trevor
coolbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I use a clever program that I downloaded which will take care of most of the PG text problems. It's called "GutenMark" and comes from http://www.sandroid.org/GutenMark

GutenMark outputs HTML or LaTeX. After converting the text file to HTML with GutenMark, I then follow HarryT's directions for using BookDesigner and then MobiPocket creator to create MobiPocket books. Next, I use Calibre to create the Sony BBeB format and ePub. Lastly, I feed the MobiPocket book into Mobi2IMP and create the .imp formats.

If I'm going to be converting a book for my own purposes, I go ahead and create all the formats and upload here. I figure someone else might be interested.

Update: I missed Patricia's mention of GutenMark. Sorry.
for anyone having similar problems. this is probably the easiest way
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
There are several ways round this problem.
1. Paste the text file into a doc and run stingo's word macro, which you can find here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
2. Try putting the text into BookCreator and tidying it there very quickly. It is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
3. Run it through Gutenmark (google to find it).

3. Or do a search and replace as pdurrant describes. I do a similar process:
I paste the text file into a word doc, then click on "edit" and open "Find and Replace."

1. search for ^p^p. (Click on "more" and "special" to find the paragraph symbols.)Replace with ## or @@ or . (This is a placeholder for the paragraph breaks. You want to strip out the single linebreaks but leave the genuine paragraphs.)
2. Search for ^p. Replace with a line space.
3. Search for ##. Replace with paragraph mark.
This should sort the text out. Save as an rtf, or just leave as a doc. The reader will convert it automatically.
Thank you! This is what I've been trying to ask about and wasn't smart enough to phrase it so y'all knew what I was talking about. I'm 20 pages into re-formatting a book in Word now - this should make the remaining 277 pages a LOT easier.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope that it helps, shel.
Don't hesitate to ask about this sort of problem: that's precisely what the workshop section of the forum is for.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Examples of the "Gutenmark" approach abound at http://www.freekindlebooks.org -- which also has the start of a "mirror" of project gutenberg in MOBI format at http://www.freekindlebooks.org/MobiM...obimirror.html

The approach I would recommend for the "casual" user -- ie the personal reader of Project Gutenberg texts rather than someone who wants to republish those PG texts -- is to get the EPUB version of the book from PG and then run the Calibre "any2mobi" command line tool on that file. It takes me literally about two minutes to pick out a book from PG and do this conversion.

For Kindle I wrote a little command line batch file to call any2mobi with Kindle-centric parameters:

"c:\program files\calibre\any2mobi.exe" --no-justification --cover ..\pg.jpg --dest-profile Kindle %1

where "pg.jpg" is a little dummy cover I insert because I do not like how any2mobi tries to gin up a dummy cover.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader

I just use a handful of macros and a lot of find+replace. Then I proofread. If the source is The Internet Archive or Google Books then a close proofreading is essential. With new PG texts, this can be abbreviated considerably.

Currently, I'm doing some Laura Ingalls Wilder. In my source file for "On the Banks of Plum Creek", "Creek" usually appears as "Greek." This is weird, but quickly replaced.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #14
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Project Gutenberg texts are formatted with fixed line lengths, rather than as logical paragraphs. You'll need to do a little reformatting to get them to read well on your Sony.

First - check the ebook forums here to see if someone has already done a good conversion.

If not - check to see if there's an HTML version at Projewct Gutenberg - this will almost certainly work better than plain text

If you must - open the text up in a text editor, and do a few global search and replaces:

(1) search for two new line characters in a row, and replace with "[paraend]"
(2) search for any new line character, and replace with a space
(3) search for [paraend] and replace with a new line character
(4) search for two spaces in a row and replace with a single space.

That should make your reading experience a lot better.
Thanks for a crystal clear explanation (OK I am a little late).

May I add that it is easy enough to wrap together all these four points above in a plain macro and that'it.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Project Gutenberg is now directly supporting (on an "Experimental" meaning sometimes buggy basis) two E-Book formats: EPUB and MOBI [and HTML if you want to include that one too]

And/or use Calibre especially its command line tools to turn these three formats into other E-Book formats if need be.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote