Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Useful Collections

For those that use collections how do you use them that's useful? I've tried tags but that creates too many. I never would separate by author. So how are you using collections?
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Separating by genre is one useful way. There's no point in separating by author - simply use author sort mode for that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
A pal of mine that also has a kindle told me to think of a collection as a virtual book shelf on your real world book case. You can put science fiction on one shelf and mystery on the other shelf. I really have not had a use for the collections capability.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
I separate by personal tags that make sense to me

Free Novels: All the Amazon books I got for free that may/may not be good
Pro Novels: Professional novels that I either bought or am reviewing an ARC of
LGBT Novels: Books in that genre that don't have more than one book per author on my Kindle
LGBT Authors: There are probably 10 collections with different author names for this type, where I have more than one LGBT book for an author
Fanfiction: Stories that I have recently sent to my Kindle that I may/may not keep
Fanfiction by Genre: I have about 10 collections with different fanfiction genres that I am keeping permanently on my Kindle
Comic Meta: Books that explore meta in comic books (the actual comics I have I only store on my Kindle Fire HD so I can read them in color)
Nonfiction: Books of that genre

I might have a few more collections, but that's what I remember right now.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
LGBT Novels: Books in that genre that don't have more than one book per author on my Kindle
What's "LGBT"?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My collections are eccentric. A lot is by genre, some by author, some by series name (the Vorkosigan saga has a collection all of its own, for example). It depends on how I would look for the book.

Which means, of course, that I can find just about any book I want, but nobody else would be able to make any sense of it.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's "LGBT"?
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender

That's the main genre I write in, so that's where the majority of my reading falls as well.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - haven't come across that one before.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I do mine by genre too, but then I also have a "Currently Reading" collection where I keep all the stuff I'm focusing on at the moment in. I use them for Active Content and Audiobooks too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitrucz View Post
For those that use collections how do you use them that's useful? I've tried tags but that creates too many. I never would separate by author. So how are you using collections?
With my K3 I used collections for Authors if I had 3 or more of his/her books, Series, Short Stories, NonFiction and a couple other specialty groups like "Currently Reading".

Unfortunately, the plugin doen't work for the PaperWhite.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
i deleted all the tags in my library because there were too many, then i rebuilt them using just goodreads as the source.

ii went from thousands of tags to less than 100 then i deleted the ones i didnt want.

This gives me a core of genres i use.

Im so glad that my kindle is jailbroken and i can use the collections plug in, no fun trying to tag 700 books with multiple collections.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
For Harry: LGBT is a very common term in the US. Maybe different in the UK?

I have very mundane collections:
Biographies -- Read
Nonfiction -- Read
Fiction -- Read
Biographies -- Unread
Nonfiction -- Unread
Fiction -- Unread
Nonfiction -- Samples
Fiction -- Samples
Reference (includes a bible, the kindle directions, how to do yoga etc.)

That's it. The collections are filtered by Author, so hopefully that keeps things together. To keep track of series, I use LibraryThing.

k4k

Last edited by krazy4katz; 01-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Unfortunately, the plugin doen't work for the PaperWhite.
My pw is jailbroken I've gotten the plugin to work but I have too many tags.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitrucz View Post
My pw is jailbroken I've gotten the plugin to work but I have too many tags.
I don't like jailbreaking.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote