Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #526
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Whoop, Whoop! I did it! It was hard to not buy anything ebook or pbook for six months but I met my challenge.
I am very impressed. Congratulations!

I've bought 52 ebooks this year. I do have three magazines a month on subscription (or equivalent), which accounts for 18 of the 52. And the others were all very good offers.

But I am on course to meet my target of having a TBR total under 300 by the end of the year, and I'm just meeting my target of two removed for every one added to my TBR pile.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #527
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have around 900 paperback books, 80 unread. Also over 30 on my Kindle. I hope to read re-read many of them this year. At one time I could read 12 library books a month+ some paperbacks as well. Haven't had time to go to the library recently, but want to read at least 100 books this year.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #528
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
When you go to the library can you expect them to actually have something that you would like to read? Two things I never do any longer since getting my first ereader (which was not my kindle) is to a) go to the library (why should I when it comes to me) and b) borrow from the library (their slogan should be: "if you want it we don't have it, if you don't want it we have it"). I am beyond going to the library they never have anything in stock wether that be online or in the printed books, which I never do any more.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #529
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just realized that I am at 12,345 pages read, I almost don't want to update my progress anymore...

It is good to see so many people hitting their targets (and completing them already!)

And I am really impressed with the willpower dreams has to not purchase any books for 6 months!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #530
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well done dreams. A will of iron. I don't think I could do it, as there are certain authors I just have to have. Even if I managed the six months, I'd have a big backlog waiting to be purchased.

I am spot on with my challenge, after having been continuously one or two books behind. The only aspect I am struggling with is reading all of the titles that I have nominated specifically. Probably les than half way through these, and I'm not sure I'll do it.
There's a reason you put them on the list. Now you just need to remember the reason.

Congrats to everyone for sticking with the challenge through the first half of the year. I'm thinking I'd like a do-over for the last week.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #531
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I took almost three months off from reading, but I'm still on track. A couple ahead, even. But that's mostly because I set a much more realistic goal of 50 this year.

I also revised some of my "mini-challenges" because my interests have shifted a bit. Back at the beginning of the year, there were some books / series I was champing at the bit to read but now I'm "Meh, I'll get to them." Forcing myself to read something I don't feel like reading never goes well, so I'm going to avoid that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #532
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, eskimo49. Did you want to claim a spot in the The 2012 Annual Reading Challenge – List Thread! to keep track of what you have read toward your goal? If you haven't seen it yet, the first part of the thread is below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to the 2012 Reading Challenge List Thread.

This thread is for you to keep a running tally for your chosen challenge.
I would request that you please state your goals at the top of your post (i.e. in the title line), and then start your list in the body of your post. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I just realized that I am at 12,345 pages read, I almost don't want to update my progress anymore...
Why? Are you like me in that I am not very good at keeping track? I start out great listing books then I just drop off doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It is good to see so many people hitting their targets (and completing them already!)

And I am really impressed with the willpower dreams has to not purchase any books for 6 months!
It wasn't easy and even harder when I had to go into a regular book store with someone. I so wanted to grab and buy something .. anything! Now, I am having trouble trying to hold back buying everything on a list I had made. So, I've decided to set a new limit for myself before I buy anything, just so I won't go on a buying spree. I have enough books in my TBR pile that I really don't need to buy any books, just to read, for the rest of my life.

I haven't bought anything yet, just because I am afraid that once I start I may not be able to hold back. So, time to set a new goal for the rest of the year.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #533
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There's a reason you put them on the list. Now you just need to remember the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I also revised some of my "mini-challenges" because my interests have shifted a bit. Back at the beginning of the year, there were some books / series I was champing at the bit to read but now I'm "Meh, I'll get to them." Forcing myself to read something I don't feel like reading never goes well, so I'm going to avoid that.
HIMS makes a good point. I'm going to revisit the list and have a think as to why I put them there. I don't think I'll change the named books though. Altering a challenge because I'm not going to do it seems a bit pointless to me. It's not a challenge if I can change the rules at any time (is how it feels to me). If I don't get round to them, then I'll just fail the challenge.

I do agree with Christa that forcing yourself to read something you are no longer in the mood for is a mistake, though. All you end up doing is resenting the book, and rushing to get through it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #534
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I took almost three months off from reading, but I'm still on track. A couple ahead, even. But that's mostly because I set a much more realistic goal of 50 this year.

Because of some things that have not gone as planned in my life this year, I, too, took a lot of time off from reading. Unlike you, Christa, there is no way that I will be able to complete my goals. So, I'll just do what I can for the rest of the year and consider it a job well done!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #535
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm hopefully coming to the end of an unplanned "reading drought" myself. The last few weeks have been very busy and won't be slowing down any time soon. So a book that should have taken me 4 days maximum has now taken almost 3 weeks (minus the 3 or 4 days it took me to read two novellets also in the series).

I also lowered my challenge, removing the 20 "Bonus" reads requirement. With that, I've now stripped my challenge to the bare minimum, yet I'm still a book or 2 behind for the 65 series books in my main challenge.

At this point, I realize that I probably should have stayed with my first instinct which was 50 books & 150,000 pages.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #536
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Whoop, Whoop! I did it! It was hard to not buy anything ebook or pbook for six months but I met my challenge. It became easier as time went on (well, all the freebies really helped). I actually found and enjoyed some authors I may not have discovered if I had not started this challenge. - I need to update my list post -

I had a list of quite a few books that I wanted to purchase when this was over, but now I have found that I don't really need to do so, as I have a very large TBR pile. I do have a few that I will be purchasing soon (Under Witch Aura, Dragons of Wendal, and Black-Tie Bingo by Maria E Schneider (MR author BearMountainBooks), just because I love her writing.
Well done, dreams. That was a tough goal!

I've done well on overall reading quantity, but really haven't met the goals I set for myself on the reading quality. And I'm not sure I care, in that I'm reading more and enjoying it more. Yes, it would be good to try to read some more classics and non-fiction, but I don't feel particularly compelled any more. So I don't expect to meet that part of the goals I stated for this year.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #537
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.

As for your goals, isn't that just what it is? Your goals? You choose what is best for you and it sounds like you already have found what that is.... "I'm reading more and enjoying it more."

To help myself not go crazy purchasing everything I have on my list from the first part of this year, I have set a new goal for the next six months.

I will not purchase more than 18 books the rest of this year.

That will help me try to read all the freebies I have added to my TBR pile and make sure that I read those just-have-to-purchase-now books.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #538
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You aren't the only one with problems with their to be read stack. I got in on a few of the free monthly bundles in the deals section of this forum and as a consequence I have a rather large to be read stack. I have spent the last two weeks hopefully catching up on those books and I have eliminated only one from the stack. I hope to narrow the stack a bit in the next few months and hopefully by the end of the year I can have the stack gone. I am keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath, my family is not holding their breath since they tell me that I almost always have a fairly large size to be read stack.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #539
dreams
It's about the umbrella

That's what happens when you read the threads in the Deals forum... the TBR pile multiplies like rabbits.

I am embarrassed to admit to the actual size of my TBR pile. When my friend asks, I reply by saying I am not quite sure, but it has to be at least 300 or so. I just didn't let her know that the "or so" is the zero I left off on the end.

I hope you have better luck than I trying to get your list down. I am hopeless and keep adding freebies, just in case I want to read something different. It is nice to be able to scroll through and just choose something that is already there and start reading. The first part of my goal did introduce me to authors that I may not have even tried and I did find some that I liked.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #540
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I will not purchase more than 18 books the rest of this year.

That will help me try to read all the freebies I have added to my TBR pile and make sure that I read those just-have-to-purchase-now books.
Wow - that's a tough target. An average of just three a month?

Still, if you can go for six months without buying any, I expect you'll manage this target too.

Personally, I don't count freebies in my TBR list, unless they are books I might have bought even if they weren't free. (Yes, this means that I still have over 300 books I've bought and not read yet!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote