Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
pjPonzo
pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
Financial eBook(s) [Introduction only]

For some 15 years, I've been writing tutorials on things financial.
For example:
http://www.financialwebring.org/gummystuff/
Now, I've decided it's time to convert 'em to eBooks (in a format which can be read by Kindle).

So far, I have this:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/eBOOK-Investing-Intro.prc

Who knows? They may be of interest to some, eh?

P.S.
One-of-these-days I'll get all (most?) converted into eBooks ...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
pjPonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Why only Kindle?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Why only Kindle?
You could at least try to be polite to someone offering up their work for free.

What Ken means to ask is: do you have any plans for an ePub version?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks, lots of good info on your site.

Your test conversion looks good on Kindle for PC, in that the font sizes go up and down properly. Once you fix floating text (or, alternatively, choose not to float text around pics), it'll be great. Didn't see any greek or math symbols in this sample, so don't know if Kindle can display such. Also, don't have a Kindle yet, so couldn't test if the graphs/pics are readable. Maybe if you want perfection, you'll have to make each image bigger, like full width.

Just one person, but I would much appreciate having your info in ebook form.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
pjPonzo
pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pjPonzo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Lots to do, eh?

It'll take me months (years?) to convert 1000 "financial" tutorials to an eBook format.

At my age (75-going-on-90), I don't have the time (energy?) to convert to other than .prc format
... or even to modify the HTML to beautify the ebook.

Eventually (maybe?) there'll be more, here:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/eBook-financial-Index.htm

Last edited by pjPonzo; 08-13-2010 at 02:22 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
pjPonzo

I now have a gaggle of stuff in a single eBook:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/eBOOK-financial-Part2.prc
Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
It said the book could not be downloaded, and please remove it from your device...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
pjPonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
It said the book could not be downloaded, and please remove it from your device...
Hmmm ... with my PC + Windows XP I can download this:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/eBOOK-Investing-Intro.prc
and all of the eBooks noted here:
as well as this:
http://www.gummy-stuff.org/eBOOK-financial-Part2.prc
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjPonzo View Post
Eventually (maybe?) there'll be more, here:
Cool, thanks for your conversion efforts and for this index page of your ebooks, which we can monitor for new conversions. Much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
pjPonzo

I reckon I'll wait for my Kindle to arrive before I continue with the conversions.

That way I can see how well (or poorly?) they look, eh?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
pjPonzo

Okay, so my kindle arrived yesterday and I quick-as-a-bunny see how my financial eBooks look.

Some good:

but some, not so good.

Do I gotta massage all the stuff I've written over the past 15 years?

Then I discover that kindle has a landscape mode and that makes a BIG difference.

Here's a list of what's available ... so far:

Last edited by pjPonzo; 08-28-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added a link
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
jj2me
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjPonzo View Post
Then I discover that kindle has a landscape mode and that makes a BIG difference.

Here's a list of what's available ... so far:
Great stuff, thanks. And the non-financial ebooks too.

For your Small World ebook, I've heard recently that they've studied the data more, and found that the nodes aren't all of equal value. Most often one of the nodes is a "Connector," i.e., a person who knows many more people than the others, and thus routes more efficiently.