Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Ebook reader for iphone?

I'm looking for some recommendations for ebook reader software for my iphone.
I have Stanza installed, and so far I like it.
Unfortunately, the process of getting books that I already own onto Stanza is ridiculous, and i'm hoping to find a reader that will allow me to simply use a usb cable to transfer my books.
My iphone is jailbroken, so I can install whatever I like.
Any recommendations?
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
I'm looking for some recommendations for ebook reader software for my iphone.
I have Stanza installed, and so far I like it.
Unfortunately, the process of getting books that I already own onto Stanza is ridiculous, and i'm hoping to find a reader that will allow me to simply use a usb cable to transfer my books.
My iphone is jailbroken, so I can install whatever I like.
Any recommendations?
Stanza is IMo the best!

getting books on it involves

1open calibre
2start server in calibre options
3open stanza
4connect to calibre
5download books.

not sure that you will find anything else [that simple?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Stanza is IMo the best!

getting books on it involves

1open calibre
2start server in calibre options
3open stanza
4connect to calibre
5download books.

not sure that you will find anything else [that simple?
Agree.... You can even skip the start server part if you check the "start server on start up" option. Quick and easy. Since the OP has a hacked iPhone there may be other options.... I have a stock iPhone so I don't have any ideas of other products.........
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Does the start server option in calibre set up the wireless network automatically?
I'd still prefer not to have to do it that way if at all possible, I want to transfer a few hundred books, and from what I gather, you have to individually download each book. Seems like a lot of hassle to me...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Does the start server option in calibre set up the wireless network automatically?
I'd still prefer not to have to do it that way if at all possible, I want to transfer a few hundred books, and from what I gather, you have to individually download each book. Seems like a lot of hassle to me...
Well, you're right about that part. The Calibre server is great once you've got your existing books installed and you just need to add the occasional new book, but not so good when you're trying to add an existing library.

That would probably be a good feature request.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Stick with Stanza. Once you figure out the wireless server setup it is a snap, at least for a small number of books. Entire library? Yeah, not so much.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, of the iP* readers I've tried, Stanza has the best support for large numbers of books, as it offers the ability to select by author or by other categories. Many of the other apps only display all books/documents in one huge list.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I do like the txtr app way way way better for ePub then Stanza. Less bugs, more true to ePub and it supports embedded fonts. And all you do is go to http://www.txtr.com create an account and upload your books. Then you use txtr app to download and voila. Plus you can give others access as well if you want to download via txtr app or via the computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
One question, why don't you transfer your books by USB to Stanza directory in your iPhone and, later, you wait for Stanza to recognize them?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
One question, why don't you transfer your books by USB to Stanza directory in your iPhone and, later, you wait for Stanza to recognize them?
USB transfer has been removed in latest version, it was never really meant to be able to work anyway, some programmers were using a bit of a loophole in the software and apple have asked them to stop doing it.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
USB transfer has been removed in latest version, it was never really meant to be able to work anyway, some programmers were using a bit of a loophole in the software and apple have asked them to stop doing it.
Yes, that's the reason I haven't updated Stanza. I like more Apple every day
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Well, I think I came up with a solution...
I simply downloaded the older version of Stanza, the one before they removed usb connectivity.
Unfortunately, when I tried to boot into windows to install it (I only use windows for itunes) it appears to have corrupted itself, so I have to reinstall windows before I can try it out.
I'll report back if I get it to work.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
Stanza is way the best with quick neat page turns and moving around in the book and easily seeing calibre.

A bit off the subject but I downloaded 3D bookshelf from iTunes and it is quite an amusing gimmick to turn the book around and open and close it in 3D but it adds nothing to actual reading.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Well, I think I came up with a solution...
I simply downloaded the older version of Stanza, the one before they removed usb connectivity.
Unfortunately, when I tried to boot into windows to install it (I only use windows for itunes) it appears to have corrupted itself, so I have to reinstall windows before I can try it out.
I'll report back if I get it to work.
I'm curious-- why do you use Windows for iTunes?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Stanza and Calibre are a pretty awesome combo. I also tried the ereader, Kindle and Bookshelf apps, but deleted them all for Stanza. I have a lot of drm content since I have bought ebooks from Fictionwise and even Peanut Press for over a decade. Stanza works with all the eReader DRM content so that is no issue. I also have a couple of dozen DRM mobipocket books, but I stripped that out and converted them to epub with Calibre and now I have all my books on my ipod with one program.

I nearly bought a Nook, but at the end of the day I was happier reading with Stanza on the iPod Touch and decided to save the money for now.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote