Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
shirleyellenp
shirleyellenp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
PDF Books?

I found a site that has PDF book downloads. Will they work on my Sony 600 Reader?
shirleyellenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi yes you can read .PDF files on your Sony. The only thing is that they may not be so nice to read as other file formats say .epub files due to the complex layout of PDFs. It means that the formatting may look a little odd or you may have trouble getting a good font size. This is true on virtually all e-reader devices.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
But you very quickly get used to consistent hitches with layout, Shirley. Also, if you're using Calibre library software (free and downloadable from MR), you can improve presentation quite a bit by auto-converting to ePub. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As the others said, yes you can read them on your Sony. I have had mixed results. It seems to depend on the actual formatting of the PDF file. Some look perfect on my 300, others are nearly unreadable. I would say 80% are great, and the rest varying degrees of issues.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Be glad your Sony has decent PDF support for those documents you need it for.

My experience is that this is not a very good format for books. Use the Sony User Manual as an example - see how it feels to you.

New book downloads I would recommend getting in EPub where available.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I've had some good results converting PDF with Mobipocket Creator then converting that resulting file with Calibre. It's a convoluted process but the font comes out a bit larger and the margins are smaller. This does not work every time but enough that I try it with every book I upload.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
shirleyellenp

Thanks so much for your replies.

I found this site http://www.bookdepository.com/free

It has free PDF books for download. Unfortunately
the books are going to Adobe Reader and not Adobe
Digital Editions and I can't seem to get them to my Sony Reader. Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Instead of opening them just save them to your disk. Then add them to Calibre (highly recommended) or just copy them to your device.

You can also open the Adobe Digital Editions reader in the same way and add it to the ADE library. No reason for Adobe Reader to ever open them.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
The main problem with viewing PDFs is that they are usually designed for a specific screen size, and provide less-than-satisfactory results when viewed on smaller screens. My experience has been that the entire page will be shrunk to fit on my reader's screen with the result that the text too small to easily read. Although reflow is available, I've been less than satisfied with the results.

I've found that PDF works best for ebooks is if they are formatted for your reader's screen. For me the major advantage of PDF is that it gives you complete control over the layout of your ebooks.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, just download your chosen PDF to, say, your desktop, Shirley. Open Calibre, go to 'add book', browse for the file on your desktop and then opt to convert it into ePub (you can even simply set Calibre to auto-convert all new books added in the future from PDF to ePub if you like). All takes a few seconds and should leave you with a presentable read. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
shirleyellenp

Thanks again for the replies. I was able to get the download on my reader but the PDF files really didn't work well. I'm off to read up on this Calibre I keep hearing about here. If I'm able to change to ePub, then I'll be able to get some of these books.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
You might try looking for the same titles at Feedbooks--they have ePubs, and allows custom PDFs that are specifically sized for the Sony Reader.

There are several other public-domain & creative-commons free ebook sites: manybooks.net and munseys.com have big collections, and Project Gutenberg provides the source material for many of them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote