Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas View Post
Is this something that can be added on through a firmware upgrade?
Yes,

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

I can't believe they didn't include folder support. Didn't anyone from the Nook design team spend anytime reading forums like this to determine what missing features were driving users crazy?
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
I can't believe they didn't include folder support. Didn't anyone from the Nook design team spend anytime reading forums like this to determine what missing features were driving users crazy?
well at first it looked like it (accessible battery, SD card slot), but then with the no folders, word games about the lending feature, and rumours run amuck over the wi-fi... it seems like probably the design team had good ideas, and then management came in and stomped all over it. typical
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it seems like probably the design team had good ideas, and then management came in and stomped all over it. typical
Management...or reality?
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #20
eyeda
eyeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Not really a huge deal in my eyes because of the keyboard. It should be really quick to find books using that.
It becomes a huge deal when the number of books on a device is over a few hundred. Even worse if you can't remember the title and would like to search for a book by subject or genre.
eyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #21
eyeda
eyeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
What about page numbers? One of the things liked about the Sony but dislike about the Kindle is real page numbers.
I agree. Although this wouldn't be so bad if all titles had perfect hyperlinks in the table of contents, but this isn't the case. Most of the books I have just list the table of contents but I can't click to go to a chapter or place in the book. Page numbers would be easier in this case because the table of contents usually does not give "location" numbers. Also if you are using a reference that is separate from the ebook locations are useless.
eyeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #22
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
The Nook displays the correct page number. Depending on the size you choose, it will stay on page e.g. 5 sometimes for several page turnes. Which means, the bigger the font size, the more often you have to swipe the pages before you see a new page number.

You can sort your books under my documents in different folders, but you cannot see these folders on the Nook.

If you are done with your side loaded stuff, you can remove these books via usb from your Nook. For the B&N stuff, you can use the archieve tap. That way the book is light grey, if you tap on hide archieved items, than the book wont show up on your display anymore.

In the B&N library you also have the possibility to "search", which means, you can type in a word or several words and it wil check your content, if this word is in a title.

I'm almost sure, that we will have more oranize possibilites with the next updates. They are doing a great job to please their customers and already put a bunch off stuff in there, that the useres requested.

And by the way, if you read the quote correctly, you see, that they are aware that people would like this option and working on it. So in some update, this will be included.

.....You can't put your eBooks into "folders" or tags at this time, but we've heard the request, and we're looking into it for down the road. (Thanks for the suggestion.).......

Last edited by mos; 02-08-2010 at 07:58 AM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
The Nook displays the correct page number. Depending on the size you choose, it will stay on page e.g. 5 sometimes for several page turnes. Which means, the bigger the font size, the more often you have to swipe the pages before you see a new page number.

You can sort your books under my documents in different folders, but you cannot see these folders on the Nook.

If you are done with your side loaded stuff, you can remove these books via usb from your Nook. For the B&N stuff, you can use the archieve tap. That way the book is light grey, if you tap on hide archieved items, than the book wont show up on your display anymore.

In the B&N library you also have the possibility to "search", which means, you can type in a word or several words and it wil check your content, if this word is in a title.

I'm almost sure, that we will have more oranize possibilites with the next updates. They are doing a great job to please their customers and already put a bunch off stuff in there, that the useres requested.

And by the way, if you read the quote correctly, you see, that they are aware that people would like this option and working on it. So in some update, this will be included.

.....You can't put your eBooks into "folders" or tags at this time, but we've heard the request, and we're looking into it for down the road. (Thanks for the suggestion.).......
I don't quite get the last comment in red.
I have my books (my own ones, not the B&N ones) in folders.
They don't show in folders, but in a flat structure.
But YOU CAN put them in folders. This even helps keeping the overview. In the normal sort mode, they are sorted per folder. Meaning, all books from the very same folder (i. e. all "thrillers") show in that order.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #24
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I have my books (my own ones, not the B&N ones) in folders.
They don't show in folders, but in a flat structure.
But YOU CAN put them in folders. This even helps keeping the overview. In the normal sort mode, they are sorted per folder. Meaning, all books from the very same folder (i. e. all "thrillers") show in that order.
So you attach the Nook to your computer via usb and then organize the books on the Nook into folders?

Which sort modes reflect this? Title, author, most recent, or all three?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'm more or less doing the same thing as mgmueller.

I had a bunch of existing epub books before I got my Nook. I attached my Nook to my computer with the cable. Inside my Nook's /my documents/ folder, I created sub folders, one for each author. I copied the epubs into the appropriate author sub folder.

Now, when using my Nook, all of these epub books do appear, that is, the Nook manages to locate all the epubs even though they are in subfolder. Unfortunately, as mgmueller states, the Nook does not display the folders, it just gives you a gigantic list of all your books.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #26
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Now, when using my Nook, all of these epub books do appear, that is, the Nook manages to locate all the epubs even though they are in subfolder. Unfortunately, as mgmueller states, the Nook does not display the folders, it just gives you a gigantic list of all your books.
Thanks. So if I understand correctly, when you look at My Documents on your Nook, you see one gigantic list of all books sorted by the folders you put the books in, and subsorted by whatever sort you choose on the Nook (author, title, most recent). Is that correct?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #27
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Thanks. So if I understand correctly, when you look at My Documents on your Nook, you see one gigantic list of all books sorted by the folders you put the books in, and subsorted by whatever sort you choose on the Nook (author, title, most recent). Is that correct?
Sadly, no.

I see one gigantic list of all books totally unsorted (i.e., ignoring the folders), but sorted by Nook sorting (author, title, most recent).

The only reason I bothered using sub folders was because it was easier to copy them over via the USB cable. Otherwise I would have just dumped them into the My Documents folder with no sub folders at all.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #28
druzyek
druzyek began at the beginning.

I was pretty annoyed too about not having folders. Now I just combine all the books by one author into one file and change the bookmarks in the PDF file so that each book is its own chapter. It makes scrolling through my books a lot faster.

For example, I had all 7 Harry Potter books as separate files on my nook. Now I have just one file called "Harry Potter 1-7." When I open the file on my nook and click "go to" then "chapters" I see "Harry Potter Book 1", "Harry Potter Book 2", etc instead of "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc.
druzyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Sadly, no.

I see one gigantic list of all books totally unsorted (i.e., ignoring the folders), but sorted by Nook sorting (author, title, most recent).

The only reason I bothered using sub folders was because it was easier to copy them over via the USB cable. Otherwise I would have just dumped them into the My Documents folder with no sub folders at all.
OK, I use Calibre, so I wouldn't bother with folders on the Nook if the above is the only reason you do it.

But it seems mgmueller is saying something different than what you're saying, but I could just be interpreting him incorrectly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In the normal sort mode, they are sorted per folder. Meaning, all books from the very same folder (i. e. all "thrillers") show in that order.

Last edited by flyash; 06-25-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #30
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I can live without folders, but I wish we could list the authors only and then when I find the author I want click down to see all the books. It would make things faster for me when switching between active books. The search thing works fine though most of the time.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote