Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
books wanted in the style of Lee Child

Been enjoying reading the Reacher books, a very easy read and entertaining.

anyone reccomend anything similiar.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Been enjoying reading the Reacher books, a very easy read and entertaining.

anyone reccomend anything similiar.
Here's the link to a fun utility that lets you put in the name of an author and it will map authors who write in a similiar fashion. http://www.literature-map.com/

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm, that's a good link provided! I was going to suggest some of those authors.

Lee Child's Reacher novels are tough to match IMO because the hero rides a fine line avoiding being overly-competent. He's on the hairy edge of believable.

John Sandford came to mind first, his Prey series.

Harlen Coben is one to look at but avoid the Myron Bolitar novels unless you want much more humor rolled into your mysteries.

I'd suggest Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books, for an above-average driven-detective sort of fellow.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
One of my favorites is an older writer, John D. McDonald. He wrote a Travis McGee series. McGee is somewhat in the mold of Jack Reacher and I would recommend this as being the closest to what you like!
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd also suggest the Spencer novels by Robert B. Parker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Reacher's 'explosive' streak reminds me a bit of Eisler's John Rain - the titles all have rain in them. I think there are only 4 to date. All I've read so far have been set in Tokyo.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Cheers everyone that gives me a place to get started I imagine with lee childs sales success will come a lot more in this style.

I actually spotted a book the other day that on the front cover taking up more space that the authors name was some text saying "If you like Jack Reacher you will love this"
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Very much agree about John D. McDonald. Read all of his books back in the 70's and 80's.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Travis Mcgee rocks! I went thorugh a phase and read them all... Very fun. Not as hardboiled as Mickey Spillane and drenched in Florida sun and sea.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Travis Mcgee rocks! I went thorugh a phase and read them all... Very fun. Not as hardboiled as Mickey Spillane and drenched in Florida sun and sea.
I like them a lot also. Very fun to read.

Maybe Dick Francis and Jeffery Deaver could be recommended here. I also think that Ian Flemming and Peter O'Donnell (Modesty Blaise) are entertaining and easy to read. Maybe Alistair MacLean fits also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
If you're looking for hard boiled over the top pulp fiction from the 50's in the style of Dashiel Hammet or Spillane I HIGHLY recommend Jim Thompson. His best was A Killer Inside Me. Fairly violent and bleak stuff. Very descriptive yet reminisceent of Dostoevsky. He was highly skilled at laying down the inner motives of his characters. He wrote for the pulp mags mostly and scraped by while swimming in drink. His stories are all about grifters and losers and criminals of the worst kind, written from a chilling first person perspective that manages to justify the crime and violence in a weird way.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
If you're looking for hard boiled over the top pulp fiction from the 50's in the style of Dashiel Hammet or Spillane I HIGHLY recommend Jim Thompson. His best was A Killer Inside Me. Fairly violent and bleak stuff. Very descriptive yet reminisceent of Dostoevsky. He was highly skilled at laying down the inner motives of his characters. He wrote for the pulp mags mostly and scraped by while swimming in drink. His stories are all about grifters and losers and criminals of the worst kind, written from a chilling first person perspective that manages to justify the crime and violence in a weird way.
I totally agree.

Also, if you want something not quite as literary, but loads of fun to read, try the Shell Scott private eye novels by Richard S. Prather. I thoroughly enjoy these.

Fictionwise has 36 different titles.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote