Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #1
SeTeVeElCarton
SeTeVeElCarton began at the beginning.

Device: Gemstar 2150
Anyone found an ebook with which MobiDeDRM 0.01 doesn't work?

Hi All,

This is my first post at Mobileread so big hello!

Just out of curiosity. I couldn't find one in my 200+ ebooks library which doesn't.
Looking at changelog 0.02 corrects DH compression issues but I've got several of these that decrypt OK with 0.01. Au contraire, every single DH compressed ebook I have makes 0.02 to fail miserabily...

Incidentally every non DH ebook that works with 0.02 does so because the WORD getTraylingDataEntries is is trying to perform its wild bit rotating is set to zero, so gTDE is not executed at all.

So I'm very interested in determining wich kind of ebook really needs 0.02 if any at all. If any one has one of these, please tell me which title is it and where you bought it. I'll buy it and try to look further into this mistery.

SeTeVeElCarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes, but I won't post the titles here. There were 2 ebooks by the same author that didn't work. The first quarter or so of the book was missing. The entire book was present in the DRMed versions. I used all the versions of MobiDeDRM with the same result.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
SeTeVeElCarton
SeTeVeElCarton began at the beginning.

Device: Gemstar 2150
So you had this issue with both versions?

hmm.. seems as an unrelated problem but I'd like to look into it too. Maybe its more related to where you bought these ebooks.

Thanks anyway.
SeTeVeElCarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
qupman
qupman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad iRex
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45 ISBN: 9781400043729, by Max Hastings. Purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.

This particular e-book resists all attempts to remove DRM through the use of both MobiDeDRM 0.01 and 0.02.

Both versions output a file of roughly the same size as the original (1.5 MB), but both "stripped" versions are still encrypted, apparently, although they cannot be viewed with the device the original file was downloaded for -- nor with any other device or application.

Please note that the poster of this message lives in a country where removing DRM, or attempting to do so, is not illegal. Also, my sole purpose in attempting to remove the DRM is to use my legally purchased e-book on various legally owned devices, now and especially in the future. A future where my current e-reader may have broken down and the diesel-ebooks.com company may be bankrupt.
qupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have you tried with my hacked version of the 0.02 script? Details of the changes are given at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=76

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by qupman View Post
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45 ISBN: 9781400043729, by Max Hastings. Purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.

This particular e-book resists all attempts to remove DRM through the use of both MobiDeDRM 0.01 and 0.02.

Both versions output a file of roughly the same size as the original (1.5 MB), but both "stripped" versions are still encrypted, apparently, although they cannot be viewed with the device the original file was downloaded for -- nor with any other device or application.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Please note that the poster of this message lives in a country where removing DRM, or attempting to do so, is not illegal. Also, my sole purpose in attempting to remove the DRM is to use my legally purchased e-book on various legally owned devices, now and especially in the future. A future where my current e-reader may have broken down and the diesel-ebooks.com company may be bankrupt.
I did purchse a Mobipocket eBook that required a username/password to be able to be viewed. MobiDeDEM 0.01 and 0.02 did not work to remove the DRM. Someone suggested I try using Mobipocket Reader to send it to another device and then use that copy to remove the DRM. I sent it to my SD card in my card reader and the resulting copy didn't need the username/password any longer. So MobiDeDRM was then able to remove the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
I have a dictionary file which appears to process normally - though it takes ages - but the resultant outfiles crashes Mobi reader.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried with my new hack to 0.02? Details of the hack is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125

regards,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
I have a dictionary file which appears to process normally - though it takes ages - but the resultant outfiles crashes Mobi reader.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Have you tried with my new hack to 0.02?
Thanks Paul, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

I patched Version 2 and ran the aforementioned script. It ran (interminably, it's a big file) as before and the resultant file still crashed Reader BUT it now didn't throw an error in mobihuff, so the protection must have gone. So I have an html version, which is interesting but useless but no DRM-free version that Reader will touch.

It's a challenge rather than a necessity. As I said originally, it's a dictionary and the original is pukka and I can authorize it in all the places I need it. It's just that I've come to loathe DRM so much that it offends me to have protected files in the library. A previous dictionary was freed up without any problem but so far it seems this one has to stay in chains.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I patched Version 2 and ran the aforementioned script. It ran (interminably, it's a big file) as before and the resultant file still crashed Reader BUT it now didn't throw an error in mobihuff, so the protection must have gone. So I have an html version, which is interesting but useless but no DRM-free version that Reader will touch.
To state the obvious: since the original DRM-ridden version worked, there must still be something wrong with mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Argel
Opinionated [but right]

Quote:
Thanks Paul, you're a scholar and a gentleman.

Subsequently ran the script with the patch which takes it to v04 and the book in question was successfully processed.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Oh, good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Paul

Quote:
Subsequently ran the script with the patch which takes it to v04 and the book in question was successfully processed.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
qupman

Tried 0.04 (i.e. the patch to 0.02), but still no success. I guess diesel-ebooks.com have a slightly deviant drm protection.

To be specific: the patched script just outputs the original file (about 1.5 MB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Have you tried with my hacked version of the 0.02 script? Details of the changes are given at

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=76

Paul

Last edited by qupman; 08-08-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
qupman

Okay, please ignore the previous message. The scripts DO work with this specific book. It's just that my Linux FBReader apparently does not work with larger mobi files.

To the original author of the python scripts and all subsequent contributors: great job! Thanks a lot!

Quote:

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It's just that my Linux FBReader apparently does not work with larger mobi files.
The file size should not matter, but FBReader does not handle MOBIs that use MobiPocket's high compression option. The best work around I have come up with is to use Calibre's mobi2oeb and then form a .oebzip of the OEB ebook (zip the directory and rename .zip to .oebzip).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobidedrm