Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #556
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post

Very interesting situation. I'm looking forward to Little.Egret letting us know a website for the publisher or somebody. But especially to getting a free copy of the book.
Sorry, see edit above.

I saw QP books has 3 publications by unrelated authors and figured they were a real publisher but I can't find a web site.

QP Books

1.26 Cannock Chase Enterprise Centre
Walkers Rise
Cannock
Staffordshire WS12 0QU

Last edited by Little.Egret; 09-25-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #557
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Sorry, see edit above.

I saw QP books has 3 publications by unrelated authors and figured they were a real publisher but I can't find a web site.
<snip>
Who cares? They've got a real ebook, anyway, and it's free.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #558
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It will be another 30 minutes or so before we know the new free ebook of the day in Packt's "Android Week 2016" promotion.

In the meantime, let me post this Packt freebie that I ran across.

It's What You Need to Know about Unity 5, by Francesco Sapio. The cover declares that it contains "community experience distilled" and that you will "learn the techniques and explore the new features of Unity 5.' Here's Packt's blurb:
Discover the ins and outs of one of the greatest game engines around with this free eGuide. From an overview of the Unity interface all the way to making your first scene, you’ll discover everything you need to get started creating your own Unity games!
-----------What You Will Learn-----------
- Explore Unity’s interface and see what it offers
- Discover how to place, manipulate, and shape objects
- Build custom terrain, lighting, and more
- Implement physics and effects to give your game life
- Add animations and scripts in no time at all
- Build the foundation for your first ever Unity title

For this offer, you will need to have an account with Packt already set up or be willing to set one up in order to receive the book. Regardless, you will need to follow this link.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #559
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

You have just over 23 hours to claim R for Data Science. That's the most recently posted free ebook of the day in Packt's "Android 2016 week" promotion.

Learn and explore the fundamentals of data science with R
- Familiarize yourself with R programming packages and learn how to utilize them effectively
- Learn how to detect different types of data mining sequences
- A step-by-step guide to understanding R scripts and the ramifications of your changes

Claim your free eBook by navigating to this webpage and clicking on the link that says, "Claim Your Free eBook."
Old 09-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #560
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

You may already be familiar with this website, but I stumbled upon it just a few hours ago. It's BookRags.com.

BookRags provides resources to both teachers and students of, I would say, about high school age.

I've have time to do only some initial exploring of the site, but there looks to be a lot of helpful stuff there. In this post, I want to point out to you their book notes (they also call them study guides). They are like CliffNotes or SparkNotes.

There is a huge number of them that are completely free! However, don't expect these to be notes for the most recent bestsellers and such like--most, if not all, of them are of the classics that are in the public domain.

Now they do have book notes on lots of recent books. But you'll have to pay for them. They do give you pretty extended previews of the different sections in each one of those book notes, however, which is nice. You can try before you buy.

Unfortunately, I have not found a way to download the free book notes as a complete file, even as a zip file. So, you'll probably have to view the contents while you're on the website, unless you know of an easy way to download all of the links of a book and collect them together in a single file folder or, ideally, as a digital book.

Why not check out the BookRags website, see what you think about it, then let us know what you've found?
Advert
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #561
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
You may already be familiar with this website, but I stumbled upon it just a few hours ago. It's BookRags.com.
I'm pretty sure their original business model was to quickly publish BookRags notes for titles that were available in paper, but not on the Kindle. The titles were usually "[Title] by [Author] Lesson Plans", with the expectation that the title/author combination was long enough to truncate when displayed on the store interface from a Kindle device. People would buy the "Lesson Plan" thinking they were buying the original book and either wait too long to return it or not know they could in the first place. Seeing a BookRags title used to be the clue that a title wasn't available for Kindle.

You can see a classic example here:

Here's the top customer review:

Amazon apparently got enough complaints that the BookRags titles no longer show up in searches unless "BookRags" is included as a search term.

Last edited by Difflugia; 09-28-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Removed the offending pixel.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #562
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I'm pretty sure their original business model was to quickly publish BookRags notes for titles that were available in paper, but not on the Kindle. The titles were usually "[Title] by [Author] Lesson Plans", with the expectation that the title/author combination was long enough to truncate when displayed on the store interface from a Kindle device. People would buy the "Lesson Plan" thinking they were buying the original book and either wait too long to return it or not know they could in the first place. Seeing a BookRags title used to be the clue that a title wasn't available for Kindle.

You can see a classic example here:

Here's the top customer review:

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Amazon apparently got enough complaints that the BookRags titles no longer show up in searches unless "BookRags" is included as a search term.
Perceptive and interesting. Thanks.

I hate to do business with a company that has a history of being less than forthright. However, I'm always glad to get any good freebies that I can off of them.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-28-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #563
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The technology book publisher Packt is currently running a promotion that they are calling "Android Week 2016." The best deal is a different free ebook that they're giving away once a day.

They just posted the most recent free title. It's R Data Visualization Cookbook.

This book is packed with practical recipes, designed to provide you with all the guidance needed to get to grips with data visualization with R. It starts off with the basics of R plots and an introduction to heat maps and customizing them, before gradually taking you through creating interactive maps using the googleVis package, generating choropleth maps and contouring maps, bubble plots, and pie charts. You will then learn how to animate 2D and 3D plots in R. By the end of the book, you will be equipped with the key techniques to create impressive data visualizations with professional efficiency and precision.

Claim your free ebook from this webpage.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 AM   #564
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The "Images of War" series has several titles marked down at the moment (99p in the UK)

Amazon UK

Amazon.com
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #565
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #566
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
I apologize for my failure there. It would have been easy enough to snip out the image.

I've got to figure out how to find out an image's size. It used to be that I could right click (Google Chrome) and on the resulting menu there would be an item that would give that information, but for some reason it didn't work just now when I tried it.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #567
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I apologize for my failure there. It would have been easy enough to snip out the image.

I've got to figure out how to find out an image's size. It used to be that I could right click (Google Chrome) and on the resulting menu there would be an item that would give that information, but for some reason it didn't work just now when I tried it.

Just simply download your image (from wherever) and post it as an attachment to your post(s).

That's the simplest way.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 PM   #568
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
The "Images of War" series has several titles marked down at the moment (99p in the UK)

Amazon UK

Amazon.com
Thanks. I'm one who cannot get enough of World War II video and images. And, these have such great prices!

I probably will pass on these, though. If I buy one, I'll think, "I've got to have this other one, too," and on and on. Before long, I've spent $20 or $30. And they may be in my local library, and I could have just checked them out or thumbed through them in the B&M library itself.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #569
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I kept wondering why there had been two or three free ebooks from Packt Publishing about "R" (I am technologically-challenged and I confess that I have no idea what "R" is) in the last couple of days. I don't remember getting anything about that from Packt, but something that I saw this morning enlightened me on the fact that the freebies are on a different topic now.

You may be wondering why I didn't think about the fact that, if it was "Android Week 2016," it was lasting well over a week. Well, I did think about it. But, I didn't think much about it, because two or three websites (the guilty parties shall remain nameless) that I have a habit of checking have what they call a "free download of the day," or something to that effect, but they only change them every couple of weeks or so!

Anyway, today's free title is R Machine Learning Essentials.

Gain quick access to the machine learning concepts and practical applications using the R development environment and the free eBook. Learn to use machine learning techniques effectively, identify business problems, and solve them by applying appropriate solutions.

Claim your free ebook at this webpage. You've got just over 23 hours from now to take care of that. The next title probably will be something about "R," if I've surmised correctly.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #570
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The Packt freebie today continues with the "R" theme: It's R Object-oriented Programming.

Packt states about the book:
R is best suited to produce data and visual analytics through customizable scripts and commands, instead of typical statistical tools that provide tick boxes and drop-down menus for users. This book is divided into three parts to help you perform these steps. It starts by providing you with an overview of the basic data types, data structures, and tools available in R that are used to solve common tasks. It then moves on to offer insights and examples on object-oriented programming with R; this includes an introduction to the basic control structures available in R with examples. It also includes details on how to implement S3 and S4 classes. Finally, the book provides three detailed examples that demonstrate how to bring all of these ideas together.

Obtain the free ebook from this webpage.

There are approximately 20 1/2 hours left on this offer, before it expires and a new one begins.

I hope that one or more of you are benefiting from these Packt freebies. I know that the topics are very narrowly focused and highly technical. But, the ebooks represent huge cost savings, over the regular purchase prices, for those who need or want them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-29-2016 at 10:38 PM.