Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
peoppenheimer
peoppenheimer began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Introducing Myself

Hello, I'm new to MobileRead Forums. I've been using iOS devices as e-readers, but, frustrated by the short battery life, have been unable to use them as my only source of reading, continuing to carry print books. This is inconvenient when traveling long distances. I've just begun to use an older-model Kindle that I've borrowed, and I find that I'm willing to trade away a lot in order to get longer battery life and lighter weight. I'm now shopping for a mobile reading device dedicated to reading and nothing else. This will supplement, rather than replace, print books, iOS devices, and laptop/desktop computers. Thanks to all on these forums who share information, experiences, how-to advice, and questions.
peoppenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #2
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Welcome to Mobileread forum.

There are many good dedicated e-ink e-book readers available in the market.

One of the most popular reader is Kindle from Amazon. If you are planning to buy lots of books from Amazon, then this is your reader. My first e-book reader is a Kindle PW1 and I am very happy with it. It has 2GB memory but no expandable micro SD slot. Kindle supports MOBI format.

If you have a large collection of e-books then you can opt for Nook from Barns and Noble. Nook supports the open source EPUB format. There are many free epub books available on internet like Project Gutenberg etc. Nook has about 300 MB of memory for side loaded books and 1 GB for B&N content. But the terrific advantage it has is a micro SD slot where you can have a micro SD card upto 32GB. This will give you a capacity to side load lots of books (more than 50,000 for 32GB). I also have a Nook ST and it is very good.

If you are on to high class e-book readers with lots of features and high resolution screens, Kobo is the way to go. They have a range of e-book readers from the pocket sized mini to high resolution Aura HD.

These are the most popular e-book readers, though other brands are also available.

If you read a lot in the nights, you can go for a reader with built-in light. The main advantage of e-ink e-book readers is great battery life, at least 2-3 weeks on a single charge.

Most of the e-ink readers support PDF and DOC formats also in a limited way.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi and welcome to MobileRead.

I mostly read on a Sony T1 but they our now out of the business. If I had to get a new EReader, it'll probably be the Kobo

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-10-2014 at 10:56 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hello
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
personal