Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No cookbooks? Wow! You have one of the largest digital collections in the country. Does Hennepin allow reciprocal borrowing with other libraries?
I had to go look, because while I've checked out a lot of books there I've never thought to look for a cookbook. Hennepin county has 2276 books under cooking & food, many are cookbooks.

I've been quite impressed with how they've grown their collection, and with the variety, over the past few years.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
They are, and so is OverDrive. I wouldn't worry about it. There's plenty of room for both types of libraries - traditional and all-digital.
I think "cloud-based" was meant to imply online reading only, with downloading and reading offline not allowed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I hope you all enjoy my tax dollars at work.

I doubt I'll be using it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think "cloud-based" was meant to imply online reading only, with downloading and reading offline not allowed.
I see that now. The collection is downloadable, just like libraries that use OverDrive. This library just happens to use 3M and OneClick instead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I hope you all enjoy my tax dollars at work.

I doubt I'll be using it.
I wouldn't use it either. The audiobook collection it totally inadequate and I have libraries with much larger collections.

Why wouldn't you use it?
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
No cookbooks? Wow! You have one of the largest digital collections in the country. Does Hennepin allow reciprocal borrowing with other libraries?
I'm actually in Anoka County, not Hennepin. I just have to apply to Hennepin to get a card so that I can check out their ebooks. By the way, I was wrong. We have 8 cookbooks in ebook format through my library. I haven't figured out how to access it yet. Apparently, it is part of the 3M cloud thing and I didn't know anything about that. Yet.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-11-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm actually in Anoka County, not Hennepin. I just have to apply to Hennepin to get a card so that I can check out their ebooks. By the way, I was wrong. We have 8 cookbooks in ebook format through my library. I haven't figured out how to access it yet. Apparently, it is part of the 3M cloud thing and I didn't know anything about that. Yet.
3M isn't compatible with Kindle, so it's a non-starter for me. Besides, only one of my libraries uses it; but is also uses OverDrive.

Hennepin is a huge library. Collection wise, it's #1 for ebooks and #11 for audiobooks.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
3M isn't compatible with Kindle, so it's a non-starter for me. Besides, only one of my libraries uses it; but is also uses OverDrive.

Hennepin is a huge library. Collection wise, it's #1 for ebooks and #11 for audiobooks.
It works with Fires!
http://3m-ssd.implex.net/cloudapps/d...%20Slideme.pdf
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I meant in Kindle format. As such, it won't work on the eink Kindles. It works on the Fires because of the 3M Android app.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #25
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
The nation’s first all-digital, book-free public library system has opened in San Antonio, with patrons lining up to peruse on online catalog on Apple touch screen computers and check out books on e-readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Huh?
If they are "book-free" (I assume that means no books), how can they check out books?
On e-readers meaning by download, unless they physically let you check out readers as well.

Last edited by Edward_R; 01-12-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: clean up
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
On e-readers meaning by download, unless they physically let you check out readers as well.
They do both. You can download over the net or physically go to the library and check-out one of the 600 ereaders they have.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm impressed that San Antonio and Bexar County were the first to do this. San Antonio, though a large city, I think the 3rd largest metroplex area in the state after Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston, is rarely even mentioned in the news. If they built this library on the south side, that is the poorer part of town. I guess it makes sense to build there since more library users there will not own their own devices. At any rate, it is good to hear San Antonio making the news and great that they are being cutting edge.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Tried it. Downloaded a book to my tablet... But, how do I find the epub file so I can open it with the reader I want instead of whatever this thing is that it's open in? Where's the epub file on the tablet?
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
If you're successful getting a library card for Hennepin County that will allow to access their ebooks as a non-resident, let us know... 'Cause, supposedly, last year, after being able to use my Hennepin card as a Dakota county resident for YEARS, Hennepin decided that "non-residents" would no longer be allowed to access their ebooks...... And, of course, the librarians' excuse is it's not THEM, it's Overdrive... They're just poor, innocent victims of the rapacious policies of the evil overlords at Overdrive...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
If you're successful getting a library card for Hennepin County that will allow to access their ebooks as a non-resident, let us know... 'Cause, supposedly, last year, after being able to use my Hennepin card as a Dakota county resident for YEARS, Hennepin decided that "non-residents" would no longer be allowed to access their ebooks...... And, of course, the librarians' excuse is it's not THEM, it's Overdrive... They're just poor, innocent victims of the rapacious policies of the evil overlords at Overdrive...
Interesting, because I can still borrow ebooks and audiobooks from libraries where I'm not a resident. I wonder why OverDrive would be so selective?