Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
LiquidGear
Zealot
LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OS X Mountain Lion Downloaded 3 Million Times in Four Days

not surprising, yes?

"Apple has announced that OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) downloads have exceeded three million in four days, "making it the most successful OS X release in Apple's history".

"Just a year after the incredibly successful introduction of Lion, customers have downloaded Mountain Lion over three million times in just four days, making it our most successful release ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing.
Mountain Lion was released to the Mac App Store on July 25th for $19.99. In comparison, Apple announced one million downloads of OS X Lion (10.7) in the first day of its launch. "

article link: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/30/...-in-four-days/
LiquidGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I held off on upgrading to Lion for nearly 2 months ... I'm guessing ML is worth it by those statistics?

Anyone here upgrade yet and what is your opinion?
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It was free, so I upgraded my new laptop and smooth sailing so far. The only really new thing I've played with is the AirPlay mirroring to the Apple TV. Cute feature, but not sure how often I'll use it.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Gatekeeper isn't as bad as I thought. It's easy to bypass for unsigned apps if you want to. Sandboxing, haven't noticed it and tbf that's how it should be, although other than the apple apps, most of the apps I'm running don't make use of it.

They've partially fixed the broken full screen support too, you can now choose which monitor you full screen an app (like the dvd player) on. However, it still blanks the other monitor which means it's still rather useless for multi monitor usage.

In time I might use the notifications bar more and although I don't use launchpad (i prefer the speed of spotlight) I'm glad they've added keyboard navigation and filtering.

That said, I could quite happily live without the majority of the new ML features, I only upgraded because it was cheap and had some security enhancements such as sandboxing, gatekeeper and the kernel level changes.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This is news? I'm sure Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been downloaded hundreds of millions of times and there probably wasn't a press release about that.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Apple is selling about 1.8 million computers per quarter, or 600,000 per month. It has been about 1.5 months since Mountain Lion was released and the up to date program began. So roughly 1 million of those downloads were for the up to date program.

Maybe it's best to say that there were 3 million sales of Mountain Lion in the first 45 days.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Maybe it's best to say that there were 3 million sales of Mountain Lion in the first 45 days.
That makes no sense at all.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This is news? I'm sure Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been downloaded hundreds of millions of times and there probably wasn't a press release about that.
In three days??? Now that would have had interesting effects on the net...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
That makes no sense at all.
Sure it does. Apple has been shipping machines with free upgrades to 10.8 for the last few weeks. Customers simply had to wait until release before installing it. A lot, probably most, of those people are going to grab the upgrade simply because it was paid for in the price of their computer (and they have to claim it within a month of release). Very few of these people explicitly purchased 10.8, and it does not represent additional revenues to Apple. So from the sales perspective, Apple's 3 million in 3 days is a bit deceptive.

From the perspective of Apple's ability to handle the load, it is much more impressive. I recently purchased a Mac and got an update to 10.8 through up to date and the download was very fast.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I think you can be assured that most people that bought new Macs within the last 45 days had no idea they could get Mountain Lion for free.

I just installed it. Like it much more than I liked Lion, which is a big plus. Also very nice for me to have most of my text messages synchronized between Mac, iPad and iPhone - One of my favorite features.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you really comparing something that's been out for 4 days to something that has been out for 4 YEARS?

MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm sure the service pack was downloaded millions of times in the first 72 hours as well.
I get the whole 'X number of ipads/iphones/iDevices sold in 24 hours' bit, but is selling software that is essentially an update to something that millions of people own really that big of a deal?
If this were about 3 million Retina Mac Books being sold in 72 hours then I would definitely be impressed. This? Not so much. Maybe it's just me.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
If this were about 3 million Retina Mac Books being sold in 72 hours then I would definitely be impressed. This? Not so much. Maybe it's just me.
Compared to Apple's pre-iPad sales, this is huge numbers. Some of us still remember the last days of OS 8 and 9. A few of us even miss those days and wish we could get something with a similar look and feel, and compatibility for a few legacy apps.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I think you can be assured that most people that bought new Macs within the last 45 days had no idea they could get Mountain Lion for free.
The sales people made it pretty clear that Mountain Lion was available, but I did buy from an Apple Store and sales people typically regard me as being more technically literate than themselves. So perhaps I was more aware of the update than the average computer buyer.

Quote:
I just installed it. Like it much more than I liked Lion, which is a big plus. Also very nice for me to have most of my text messages synchronized between Mac, iPad and iPhone - One of my favorite features.
Being a part of the Android world, most of this actually didn't have a big impact on me. That does leave Mountain Lion feeling a bit like a Windows service pack (most of the UI tweaks are minor and a few security enhancements). But, over all, the iCloud bit with improved integration is probably a good reason for most Mac users to upgrade.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
That does leave Mountain Lion feeling a bit like a Windows service pack (most of the UI tweaks are minor and a few security enhancements). But, over all, the iCloud bit with improved integration is probably a good reason for most Mac users to upgrade.
Worth the money though!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote