Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Comparing Kindle, Kobo and Nook

I'm a longtime user of the Nook 1E. A few months ago I bought my tech-challenged wife a Kobo WiFi with 100 classics preloaded. Unsurprisingly she's never used it so I appropriated it. However recently she expressed a desire to access her email out of the house without having to use a cell phone so I bought her a Kindle Keyboard 3G. I have a feeling I'll probably appropriate this one as well.

So now I'm in a good position to evaluate these three models. Overall I like the Nook 1E the best, followed by the Kindle and then the Kobo, but each has pluses and minuses.

I love everything about the Nook 1E except for its thickness and weight. The touch screen works very well. I find swiping a very natural way to turn pages. The Nook is a quick machine in every respect and I find the e-ink screen to be perfectly adequate. But its thickness and weight are a definite negative, something which I didn't really appreciate until I started using the Kindle and Kobo.

The Kindle Keyboard 3G is a terrific machine, especially if you need the keyboard. It's at least as quick as the Nook and has a beautiful e-ink screen. It's thin and lightweight. But I find the tiny 4 way cursor to be really hard to use. Also while the page turning buttons work very well, they are not as natural a way to turn pages as the page swipe on the Nook

The Kobo WiFi is the thinnest and lightest of the three machines, which is a major plus. Its menu system is very user friendly and I like the large page turning/navigating 4 way cursor. Its e-ink screen is bright and easy to read. But it's a very slow machine, especially when you're used to the quicker Nook and Kindle.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
gfabi9
gfabi9 began at the beginning.

Device: ebook reader InsdreamSX601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
I'm a longtime user of the Nook 1E. A few months ago I bought my tech-challenged wife a Kobo WiFi with 100 classics preloaded. Unsurprisingly she's never used it so I appropriated it. However recently she expressed a desire to access her email out of the house without having to use a cell phone so I bought her a Kindle Keyboard 3G. I have a feeling I'll probably appropriate this one as well.

So now I'm in a good position to evaluate these three models. Overall I like the Nook 1E the best, followed by the Kindle and then the Kobo, but each has pluses and minuses.

I love everything about the Nook 1E except for its thickness and weight. The touch screen works very well. I find swiping a very natural way to turn pages. The Nook is a quick machine in every respect and I find the e-ink screen to be perfectly adequate. But its thickness and weight are a definite negative, something which I didn't really appreciate until I started using the Kindle and Kobo.

The Kindle Keyboard 3G is a terrific machine, especially if you need the keyboard. It's at least as quick as the Nook and has a beautiful e-ink screen. It's thin and lightweight. But I find the tiny 4 way cursor to be really hard to use. Also while the page turning buttons work very well, they are not as natural a way to turn pages as the page swipe on the Nook

The Kobo WiFi is the thinnest and lightest of the three machines, which is a major plus. Its menu system is very user friendly and I like the large page turning/navigating 4 way cursor. Its e-ink screen is bright and easy to read. But it's a very slow machine, especially when you're used to the quicker Nook and Kindle.
I received an e-book reader Insdream SX601 as a gift. I am pleased with it but I cannot figure out how to upgrade. Does anyone out there know how?
gfabi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert