Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
gencho
gencho began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
PRS-650 can I use it with Linux?

I am about to purchase Sony PRS-650, but would like to get some feedback first. I stopped using MS Windows years ago and switched to Linux. In order to use prs-650 though the System Requirements are Wondows or Mac, according to sony.com. I have Calibre installed on both my desktop-Fedora13 and laptop-OpenSuse11.2 and I have downloaded a lot of ePub books, pdf files, etc. Once I get my prs-650 will I be able to upload my books and files to the reader. I keep updating Calibre with every new release and several updates back there were new sony prs-350 and prs-650 drivers, so I assume the reader will be recognized. I would like to hear from some users that had experience using prs-650 with Linux.
I will hate if I have to install Windows in order to use my future eReader.
I was thinking about buying Kindle 3 (tempted by the prise), but after doing some research I am convinced that Sony is the reader for me.
I was waiting for prs-950sc to come out, but after reading the user manual I don't think is worth the $70 more.
gencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Yes and no. You will be able to use Calibre to upload and manage your collections in Linux, but ADE is required for a lot of the DRM protected files, in general. You can, however, use Wine to emulate windows and run ADE from there, I believe, if you wish to purchase DRM books. I have not done it myself, though, the only reason I know any of this is because I was trying to fix a Kobo book I bought and was trying to use my Linux box at work to update it, but could not since it was a DRM book.

Someone else may be able to shed more light on it, though.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
the quiet fox
Interstitial Reader
the quiet fox began at the beginning.

Device: K1/KDX-G/PRS-650
I can't speak to working with DRM-protected files, but I can confirm that Calibre detects my 650 and works with it just fine under Linux (I'm using Ubuntu).
the quiet fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
gencho
gencho began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Thank you, Quiet Fox, and you bmatt .
For now I don't have any DRM books. I have enough ePub books and pdfs for the next 2 years .
But when I receive my PRS-650 do I need to register it initially using the sony desktop software or I can start using it with Calibre strait out of the box?
gencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Should be able to use it with Calibre straight out of the box. The only thing you need to register for would be signing up to use the store and that is to setup your DRM account, essentially. Although it is always a good idea to register your product with the manufacturer as soon as possible for warranty purposes
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Just a confirmation for the O.P.. I have successfully used ADE to download books from my Public Library using WINE + ADE on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't even need Calibre. Just copy the files to the mass-storage drive.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You don't even need Calibre. Just copy the files to the mass-storage drive.
Will this work for DRM-restricted books?

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP. I just looked at the Sony Touch an hour ago at Borders and the expert clerk had no clue about how DRM works or where the decryption takes place.

Assuming that I respect the publisher's wishes and do not break the DRM, can I just copy the DRM encrusted book to my Sony device with Calibre (or the cp command) and read it?

This is the crucial question that no one seems to be able to answer.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The simple answer is no, you can't copy DRM books to your reader and use them without going through certain specific steps... you need ADE and/or the Sony software to register your device and authorise it. Most people then authorise at least their computer and reader then when you purchase a DRM'd book you can read it on your computer and any other authorised device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Will this work for DRM-restricted books?

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP. I just looked at the Sony Touch an hour ago at Borders and the expert clerk had no clue about how DRM works or where the decryption takes place.

Assuming that I respect the publisher's wishes and do not break the DRM, can I just copy the DRM encrusted book to my Sony device with Calibre (or the cp command) and read it?

This is the crucial question that no one seems to be able to answer.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

OK, elcreative, that was a straight forward, clear answer. Thank you.

I wonder why clarity on this topic is so rare.

Now I have to decide if I want to shell out the bucks knowing the product is defective by design.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Actually the real blame lies with the idea of DRM in its current form and the basic assumption that all readers are thieves which forms the basic marketing principles of most publishers. One or two (such as Baen) have tried a different model and found it works... they not only don't use DRM, they actually give away some of their books and found that customers really appreciate this method of marketing and buy books (it also helps that their pricing structure is reasonable as well).
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
TSquared
TSquared began at the beginning.

I am not quite in the same boat as the original poster and KenJackson b/c I went and bought a PRS-650 already, but I am having trouble getting DRM-ed books onto my reader from Ubuntu.

I've registered my PRS-650 with the Sony Reader software on two different machines now (neither of which are my principal machine - one was my Mac at work and one was a very old laptop that has a Windows partition). ADE on the Windows machine recognized my reader and let me look at the files on it, though it never asked me to authorize it. ADE on the Mac did not, but I am told this is to be expected.

I got ADE working via Wine on my Linux machine, and was able to download a public library book and read it *in* ADE. However, it won't recognize my PRS-650. I tried using Calibre to add the file, and tried just copying the epub file to the "My Digital Editions" folder on my reader, but either way I get "Protected by Digital Rights Management" when I try to open the book on my reader. I tried installing the Sony Reader software on Wine, and it just crashes on startup while leaving a lingering process.

What am I doing wrong? The posts around here suggest that it is possible to get to the point where you *can* put DRM books via Linux onto your Reader, but I haven't figured out an exact series of steps that works...
TSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSquared View Post
I tried installing the Sony Reader software on Wine, and it just crashes on startup while leaving a lingering process.
Well good--it's not just me. I tried to install the Sony Reader on Wine on my Fedora 14 laptop last night and it crashed before completing installation. It didn't have permission to write something:
Code:
wine client error:34: write: Bad file descriptor
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x687f953e

BTW, did you read through Sony's EULA? About 3/4 of the way down the huge document in the tiny window I saw this:

Quote:
SOFTWARE DATA COLLECTION AND MONITORING
The SOFTWARE contains features which may allow SONY and/or third parties to collect data from, control and/or monitor computers and devices running or interacting with the SOFTWARE. You hereby consent to such activities.
Great! You have to agree to be spied upon to use their software.
Fourth Amendment, anyone?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
TSquared
TSquared began at the beginning.

I actually did install the Sony Reader software on WINE successfully, it just won't run. But either way, it doesn't seem like it works on WINE...

Quote:
SOFTWARE DATA COLLECTION AND MONITORING
The SOFTWARE contains features which may allow SONY and/or third parties to collect data from, control and/or monitor computers and devices running or interacting with the SOFTWARE. You hereby consent to such activities.
*Control*?? Collecting data doesn't surprise me overmuch, though it sucks, but control? That's sketchy...Maybe I should uninstall it from my work computer =P.

Last edited by TSquared; 11-13-2010 at 03:11 PM.
TSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
RVnook
RVnook began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK First Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSquared View Post
I actually did install the Sony Reader software on WINE successfully, it just won't run. But either way, it doesn't seem like it works on WINE...
I actually have the same problem. I was a bit surprised when it didn't work because Nook for PC installed and runs great under WINE on my Mandriva box.

Seems like they could find a way to support use on Linux without having to develop versions of their software for multiple distributions.
RVnook is offline   Reply With Quote