Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #136
kaswistry
kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaswistry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
There shouldn't be anything preventing you from getting some books to work. The Hypnotist file works, for example, but you need to modify the Shelfari page to include some characters before you can create the file for it. Not sure what's going on with the Steve Jobs one, what error code did it give you?
I get an SX error for Steve Jobs.
kaswistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #137
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwilson View Post
Great news.

If anyone's feeling brave, I've attached a new version which should (in theory) work a bit better. For example, on Game of Thrones, the previous version would have thrown away quote marks in names like: Eddard "Ned" Stark, or in descriptions like "Lady of Winterfell" - Wife of Lord Eddard Stark.

This new version should do a bit better, but I don't know whether the Kindle will accept the format I'm producing.

Feedback welcome.
Sweet. for sure will have a play. nice one.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #138
mjwilson
Connoisseur
mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjwilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I've actually been working quite a bit over the past week on creating an x-ray builder that generates all of the loc and chapter information by unpacking the mobi file and running through the raw book content (the page-by-page info is calculated on the Kindle itself).
The format is fairly simple, each loc points to a point in the book and defines the excerpts you see on that character's page. The locations are positions within the raw html file (I've been unpacking the mobis with mobi_unpack using the -r flag to get the raw markup). The default loc that the X-Ray builder here gives is [100,100,100,6], so say that is [A,B,C,D].
A is the start position of the excerpt.
B is is the length of the excerpt.
C is the position within the excerpt that starts being bolded.
D is the length of the bolded section.

Edit #2: I hadn't thought about it, but since the Calibre version already has access to the book it could definitely be modified to add the locs. My version is a separate program done in C# so it's not nearly as convenient...
Good work! I guess I need to have a dig around in the Calibre internals to see how easy it is to get these offsets.
mjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #139
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good work! I guess I need to have a dig around in the Calibre internals to see how easy it is to get these offsets.
You could just ask here...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #140
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
I will be releasing the code to my X-Ray program sometime soon if you want to check it out. It's a bit of a mess but it seems to work fairly well so far. Only thing holding it back, really, is error checking to make it a bit easier to use.

So far there have also been a couple books (about 2 of the 25 I tested) that refuse to take any X-Ray file and give the WG error code, meaning the GUID of the file does not match what the Kindle was expecting, despite using the format that all the scripts have been using (DatabaseName:uniqueid)...
If anyone knows how to check what GUID the device is actually looking for, help on that would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I shortened the book titles of the ones I was having trouble with, in Calibre, and re-converted them to mobi. The database name that mobi2mobi gives is no longer truncated and the X-Ray files for them seem to load now. Still not sure what it was looking for before, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaswistry View Post
I get an SX error for Steve Jobs.
That means the X-Ray file itself had something wrong with it for some reason. =(

Last edited by Ephemerality; 02-25-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #141
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Quote:
I will be releasing the code to my X-Ray program sometime soon if you want to check it out.
I'm looking forward to having a play with it. I like the X-Ray function but I often find that the information on Shelfari is lacking. I wish it would work with Goodreads.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #142
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
I'm looking forward to having a play with it. I like the X-Ray function but I often find that the information on Shelfari is lacking. I wish it would work with Goodreads.
When we see the code... perhaps it could be expanded. only time will tell.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #143
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Anything is possible, although unless I'm missing something, Goodreads doesn't give much info on characters, etc? I just see a book description and reviews on most of the pages...
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #144
twobob

Quote:
Anything is possible, although unless I'm missing something, Goodreads doesn't give much info on characters, etc? I just see a book description and reviews on most of the pages...
Yep, agreed. I dug around in there last night and found much the same.

I DID find an author (The very excellent Ian Woodhead) who should give me rights to amend his work when the time comes...

Thus we can do some testing on books that have a "bit of meat" to them...
(Zombie novel puns aside)

I watch and wait.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #145
Ephemerality
Addict

Exclamation

I think I have my version running well enough to release. I have never posted source online before, so bear with me.
It is a console application, done in C# (Visual Studio 2010), which hopefully isn't too inconvenient. I had intended it to be used for personal-use only so I have not bothered adding a GUI for it at this point.
As you'll see, the actual concept is fairly basic.
Source is available here: https://code.google.com/p/xray-builder/
Check-out with Mercurial or download binary from the Downloads section.
I'll attach the binary to this post as well.

It requires:
Hopefully I haven't overlooked anything major. Please feel free to let me know if there are any issues with anything I have done with all this at all, or any suggestions/changes to improve.

Version 1.13 now includes a py2exe packed version of mobi_unpack.py, eliminating the need to have Python installed (again, I think this is ok?).
I have not had a chance to test this on more than my two Win7 PCs, so let me know if this totally fails.
If you have already saved a mobi_unpack location as the default, you can use the new exe by specifying "-u dist/mobi_unpack.exe".
In theory, you should be able to download the binary and start drag-dropping mobi/azw files onto it without worrying about the pre-requisites!
Attached Files
File Type: rar xray-builder-v1.31-win32.rar (1.39 MB, 319 views)

Last edited by Ephemerality; 03-09-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Updating download
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #146
raist1976
raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raist1976 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
I think I have my version running well enough to release. I have never posted source online before, so bear with me.
It is a console application, done in C# (Visual Studio 2010), which hopefully isn't too inconvenient. I had intended it to be used for personal-use only so I have not bothered adding a GUI for it at this point.
Thanks for this, I'll dig into it and test it on Wheel of Time book 8, Path of Daggers, which is not X-Ray enabled on Amazon.

I have one question, what does the original script and your program (as weel as the Calibre Plugin) fetch from Shelfari ? The description without spoilers or with spoilers ?

I'm wondering this because I'm also suplemeting info on Shelfari for this book and I'm filling both spoiler-free excerpt and excerpt with Spoiler. But I wonted how big the except could be ? Is there also a way that we could add a parameter to fetch the spoiler-free description or the description with spoiler ?
But I think it would be best if it was the only spoiler-free description or else one would be wary of browsing through the x-ray info

Example of a description I filled on shelfari :

Spoiler-free description of Pevara: Sitter for the Red Ajah in Tar Valon.

Description of Pevara: Sitter for the Red Ajah in Tar Valon. She was friends with Seaine as a novice; the two maintained the friendship, although it was a bit restrained due to the constraints that the Red Ajah puts on its members about making friends outside the Ajah. She is short for a Kandori, and quite plump. She has dark eyes. She was once punished for voicing her desire to have a Warder; later, as a Sitter, when she was safer from the wrath of the Ajah, she openly suggested that Warders would make the job of a Red sister much easier. Seaine thinks she would have been happier as a Green. When she was small, many members of her family were killed by Darkfriends; it is for this reason that Seaine confides in her about searching for Darkfriends in the White Tower, as well as the reason she chose the Red Ajah; she thought it would be the way surest to let her hunt down Darkfriends.

Thanks.

Last edited by raist1976; 02-25-2013 at 05:14 AM.
raist1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #147
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raist1976 View Post
Thanks for this, I'll dig into it and test it on Wheel of Time book 8, Path of Daggers, which is not X-Ray enabled on Amazon.

I have one question, what does the original script and your program (as weel as the Calibre Plugin) fetch from Shelfari ? The description without spoilers or with spoilers ?

I'm wondering this because I'm also suplemeting info on Shelfari for this book and I'm filling both spoiler-free excerpt and excerpt with Spoiler. But I wonted how big the except could be ? Is there also a way that we could add a parameter to fetch the spoiler-free description or the description with spoiler ?
But I think it would be best if it was the only spoiler-free description or else one would be wary of browsing through the x-ray info
Thanks for your response! I believe all 3 versions take only the spoiler-free versions, as that is the default when you load the page.
I will look into the description length and whether it would be possible to make the spoilers switchable when I get home from work.

Edit: I've taken a look at the site source and it should be possible. Will take a look later.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 02-25-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #148
twobob

Okay I grabbed it down.

I spoke with a (professional) author who will probably allow me to do this with his novels... update when I have one...

might test it under wine too... just for a laugh.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #149
twobob

Via Wine on ubuntu:

me@dev mkdir -p ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/xray

me@dev cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/xray

Unzip the stuff in there via your favourite menas

me@dev ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/xray $ chmod a+x XRayBuilder.exe

me@dev ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/xray $ ./XRayBuilder.exe
Quote:
Usage: xraybuilder [-o path] [--offset N] [-p] [-r] [-s shelfariURL] [--spoilers] [-u path] mobiPath
-o path (--outdir) Path defines the output directory
If not specified, uses ./out
--offset N Specifies an offset to be applied to every book location.
N must be a number (usually negative)
See README for more info
-p path (--python) Path must point to python.exe
If not specified, uses the command "python",
which requires the Python directory to be defined in
the PATH environment variable.
-r (--saveraw) Save raw book markup to the output directory
-s (--shelfari) Shelfari URL
If not specified, there will be a prompt asking for it
--spoilers Use descriptions that contain spoilers
Default behaviour is to use spoiler-free descriptions.
-u path (--unpack) Path must point to mobi_unpack.py
If not specified, searches in the current directory

After used once, mobi2mobi and mobi_unpack paths will be saved as default and are not necessary to include every time.
You can also drag and drop a number of mobi files onto the exe after those paths have been saved.

Books must be DRM-free. If you create an X-Ray file for a book, but still use the DRM copy on your Kindle,
you will run into issues. The X-Ray has to be used with the DRM-free version it was created from.
Will test further.. but that looks like a worker.

Last edited by twobob; 03-01-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #150
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Will test further.. but that looks like a worker.
The trick will be whether or not it executes the mobi2mobi, mobi_unpack, and the htmlagilitypack calls properly

Last edited by Ephemerality; 02-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, kindle tools, x-ray