Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
lmcread
Enthusiast
lmcread began at the beginning.

Device: none
can i create folders

is there a way to create any type of folders to organize my ebooks... for example ebooks from different libraries ... authors .etcc?? all i can see is a flat list and I have to scroll.....through
lmcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You can create "collections" to group your ebooks together. Someone could provide more specific directions if you state which Sony model you have.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
lmcread
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You can create "collections" to group your ebooks together. Someone could provide more specific directions if you state which Sony model you have.
thanks ! I have a T1 reader...
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Collections can be created very easily with the T1, by using Calibre. Do you have Calibre on your computer? I will be happy to share instructions if you need them.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
lmcread
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Collections can be created very easily with the T1, by using Calibre. Do you have Calibre on your computer? I will be happy to share instructions if you need them.
thanks for info............is the only way to get collections thru Calibre.. can I do it directly on my T1 ?? if not... i will look into calibre and ask questions here !
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes you can do it on the device. I have not done it that way, as I prefer the ease of doing it via Calibre.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, easy....tap Colletctions, then tap the icon at the top that looks like books with a + on it, and you can create a collection.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I know it's hard to use the owner's guide that came on the reader while you're actually on the reader. Sony has the guide available on their web site in case you would like to be able to reference it on your computer:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/reader...eng/index.html
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Just be aware that the collections are virtual they do not create any physical organization on the device whether you create them on the device or via calibre.. if using calibre just be careful as each tag you create in calibre will generate a collection on the device.. personally I find it much easier to create manage and populate the collections on the device.. of course it deepens on how many books you add at one time.. I currently have a 1000 + books organized into 92 collections.. by author as it happens
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

bla, that is a lot to do by hand! What is the maximum collection amount, 99 or 100? I've always done mine with Calibre. One time I had at least that many (100+) collections, and the device would not allow me to make one. I have 68 collections now, most are author collections, well 6.5 pages of them. I add and remove stuff all the time, and redo collections, I am always playing with the darn thing.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
if using calibre just be careful as each tag you create in calibre will generate a collection on the device.. personally I find it much easier to create manage and populate the collections on the device.. of course it deepens on how many books you add at one time.. I currently have a 1000 + books organized into 92 collections.. by author as it happens
As already noted, that is a lot and I applaud your hard work. I tend to be too impatient to do them manually. Did you know that you can tell calibre to use a different column(s) for collections? It's in the T1 device plugin settings. I have mine set up to use my "genre" and "list" columns only. (My "tags" field turned into a metadata dumping ground ages ago but I can't seem to bring myself to turn off tag downloading altogether.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I make my collections from genre and series columns in calibre rather than tags too. I even set my collections up so that the genre ones sort by published date. A big benefit is that if something is corrupted on your ereader that forces a reformat or if you get a new Sony model, then you can quickly transfer all your books over and have them grouped into collections easily just like they were without having to spend time recreating everything!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Actually my 1000 plus books and 92 collections were built up over 18 months... I wouldn't try doing that all in one go.. i would use calibre.. but once you have your library set up it is quite easy to maintain on the device itself and try to avoid syncing if you can ,it will screw up sooner or later.. btw the only limits to collections are the amount of memory you have oh and you can't split a collection across internal and card memory... don't forget there is also a reasonable search function in the Books application.. I use my wi-fi and dropbox to addnon-purchased books or if I have more than a few drag-drop from windoze explorer a lot of what you do will come down to a personal choice ..
bla is offline   Reply With Quote