Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #1
clemens14
Enthusiast
clemens14 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best 6" reader for highlighting and exporting text?

Hello,

I was wondering what is the best 6" ereader for highlighting text and exporting it, since I would like to underline parts of the books I read and then export all to review them and study them better.
Better still would be the possibility to "name"/tag highlights so I could organize them more easily.
Cheers
clemens14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle has excellent highlighting capabilities. All the text that you highlight goes into a text file calling "My Clippings", which you can easily export to your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
clemens14
Enthusiast

Thanks for the speedy reply and, by the way, Merry Christmas.
What Kindle do you refer to, or all are very good?
And how is the My Clippings file structured? Is it all a jumble of text or it is organised some way?
Cheers

P.s. is the highlighting done with stylus, finger or keyboard?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm referring to the eInk Kindle models - I don't know how it's done on the Kindle Fire tablets.

On the touch models, you do the highlighting by touch; on the non-touch models you do it with a 5-day controller. Touch is much easier to use.

The contents of the clippings file looks like this:

Code:
Cordelia Gray 02 - The Skull Beneath the Skin (James, P.D.)
- Your Highlight on Page 5 | Location 63-64 | Added on Tuesday, 25 December 12 10:57:52

Cordelia had no need to adopt Bevis’s expedient of dodging through the mid-morning traffic which cluttered Kingly Street
==========
The High Crusade (Anderson, Poul)
- Your Highlight on Page 153 | Location 1067-67 | Added on Tuesday, 25 December 12 10:59:24

It was only when a fellow grad-student at Cal Berkeley invited me to a party at Poul's house
==========
So it's easy to see which highlight is associated with each book. You can of course also easily go through your highlights within the book itself, if you prefer to do that.

It works very well. I use it extensively to mark formatting errors in a book while I'm reading it, so I can fix them after I've finished the book.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
clemens14
Enthusiast

Thanks for showing me an example of the actual clippings.
I was wondering also if there was a way to "tag" the highlights when doing them, so that it would come in the clipping.
Cheers
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens14 View Post
Thanks for showing me an example of the actual clippings.
I was wondering also if there was a way to "tag" the highlights when doing them, so that it would come in the clipping.
Cheers
You can add an annotation to a highlight if you wish. That will also show up in the clippings file.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Horrific though it may seem, probably a Kindle.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
export, highlight, tagging