Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
T2 and Apple help please

I've just bought my wife a Sony PRS T2 for her 70th birthday, and she has tried to use it on her Apple.

She is not a member of the forum and does not read manuals, and I use a T1 on my Windows 7 computer so have not been able to help her much. She has been able to download her first ebook, but still has several problems.

- When she attaches her reader to her Apple computer with the USB cord the Sony screen shows a graphic of a computer and a reader connected by a line, and a message that her reader is recognised. But the reader is otherwise unresponsive - the home and menu keys have no effect. Is this what should happen? She was able to buy and download an ebook while this message was showing, and has opened it.

- She dragged and dropped the Reader icon to the waste paper icon, thinking that this would eject the reader, but a message immediately showed on the Apple screen to the effect that the device was improperly closed - in Windows terms I think this means it wasn't ejected properly. How should she eject the reader?

Any help would be really appreciated.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
When reader is connected to pc u cant operate it.. So, thats absolutely normal.. I use calibre to handle my T2 and there's an eject option.. Dunno specifically about apple pc, but in windows pc there's a usb icon in the task bar from where u can eject ur T2 by right clicking.

am I misinterpreting ur problem??

Last edited by nandini; 11-14-2012 at 12:01 PM.
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Her reader will be unresponsive while connected to the Mac.

To disconnect the Reader (I assume the Reader software opened when she connected the T2) use the eject icon within the software (at the top next to the Reader tab) or eject both the Settings disk image and Reader disk image which appear on the desktop.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The method I use is to click on the eject icons next to Reader & Settings in the Mac Finder window.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My wife has discovered for herself that taking the USB connection out of the ebook stopped the error message, but I'll let her know about your suggestion, dyanabook, to use the eject button within the software.

I can use my T1 reader while it's charging, so expected that she would be able to use hers.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sometimes when I eject from the software it only ejects Reader and not Settings. Therefore I always double check the Finder window before disconnecting the USB cable.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
AlexBell,

You CAN use the T1 while it is charging, especially if you use the power adapter. If you plug your T1 into the Mac, you should get a screen with a button to put the T1 into Data Transfer mode. If you don't put it into Data Transfer mode you may be able to use it while charging from the Mac USB but I have never done this and am not sure how to remove the Data Transfer screen. Home button?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
AlexBell,

You CAN use the T1 while it is charging, especially if you use the power adapter. If you plug your T1 into the Mac, you should get a screen with a button to put the T1 into Data Transfer mode. If you don't put it into Data Transfer mode you may be able to use it while charging from the Mac USB but I have never done this and am not sure how to remove the Data Transfer screen. Home button?
--MH
Thanks, Dynabook. I know I can use my T1 while it's attached to my Windows computer or the recharger. That's why I was surprised that my wife can't use her T2 while it's attached to her Apple computer.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Dynabook. I know I can use my T1 while it's attached to my Windows computer or the recharger. That's why I was surprised that my wife can't use her T2 while it's attached to her Apple computer.
Generally that's not the case. In order to do that, read on the device while connected to a computer, is if you don't touch the reader screen saying "Data Transfer Mode". If you do select that on the reader (device) screen then you cannot read on it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote