Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #12556
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished reading The Dwarves by Markus Heitz. It's a pretty straight-forward fantasy story with a struggle between good and evil, but written from the perspective of the dwarves who are the protectors (and ultimately the saviors) of the realm as they journey to forge a magical weapon to kill an evil mage.

Heitz adds some interesting ideas to dwarven lore and the story is quite entertaining.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #12557
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Thanks of the recommendation, I will see if I can get a hold of those books!

I started reading it last night - bad idea, I couldn't put it down
My pleasure Snow Flower is good, well written with attention to detail but it is sad. It is a book that I will remember for years to come only not sure if I will want to reread it.

other books in similar flavour

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
http://www.lisasee.com/shanghaigirls/

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama (Japan)
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Thousan...=A3TXIZSD66MRZ
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #12558
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, I finished "The Night Circus," but it just didn't do much for me.

I'm now starting "Wonderful World," by Javier Calvo, which only has a few reviews. The novel however, has been critically acclaimed.

Here's a brief quote from Publishers Weekly:

"Calvo's first novel to appear in English is a frenetic and magnificent mashup of family drama, mob revenge story and surreal mystery featuring a gigantic enforcer obsessed with comic books, a 12-year-old girl fixated on Stephen King, a namby-pamby antiques dealer on a mad quest and a crime lord with a penchant for women's coats."

And an excerpt from Booklist:

"Meanwhile, his best friend is his 12-year-old neighbor, a fatherless girl named Valentina, who regards herself as the greatest living Stephen King expert (“excerpts” from King’s newest novel are sprinkled throughout the book). Other cultural references ranging from psychedelic rock and heavy metal to horror movies and superhero comics abound, while the novel’s action is overlaid by a patina of Quentin Tarentino–like violence. Surreal, sexy, wildly funny, self-indulgent, and wretchedly excessive, Wonderful World is clearly not for all readers, but it will have its passionate advocates and has all the earmarks of a cult favorite in the making."

I'm embarrassed to say I bought this in Aug., 2009.

ADDED
: Interestingly, "Wonderful World" is the title of a fictitious Stephen King novel, one that exists only in the pages of the novel by Calvo.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #12559
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished Crooked House by Agatha Christie - a stand alone wonderfully wicked mystery that Dame Christie counted as one of her favorite creations.

As I was reading it, I kept thinking I've sort of read this book before .... it has many plot & character similarities with Ngaio Marsh's Final Curtain - fabulously rich old man surrounded by money-sucking idle family marries a 20-something gold digger who is hated by one & all. Frightfully unattractive little girl snooping in everyone's business. Old man is murdered - the family tries to pin it on the young widow. Everyone lies. More murders ensue. One wonders if the "grand dames" of mystery were reading each others' books.

Both are wonderful reads.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #12560
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just finished Crooked House by Agatha Christie - a stand alone wonderfully wicked mystery that Dame Christie counted as one of her favorite creations.

As I was reading it, I kept thinking I've sort of read this book before .... it has many plot & character similarities with Ngaio Marsh's Final Curtain - fabulously rich old man surrounded by money-sucking idle family marries a 20-something gold digger who is hated by one & all. Frightfully unattractive little girl snooping in everyone's business. Old man is murdered - the family tries to pin it on the young widow. Everyone lies. More murders ensue. One wonders if the "grand dames" of mystery were reading each others' books.

Both are wonderful reads.
I read that last month, very good book.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #12561
the-golden-ones
the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.the-golden-ones can talk to the animals.

Device: kindle
I'm reading Cassandra Clare's Infernal devices book 2: Clockwork Prince

Never too old for a bit of YA fiction!
the-golden-ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #12562
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fellowship of Fear by Aaron Elkins.
A moderate spy mystery. I got the answer about half way through. But fun enough to pick up the rest next time there's a good offer at fictionwise. It looks to me like the hero, Gideon Oliver, will improve over the series.

Next up: Grantville Gazette, Vol. #40 edited by Paula Goodlett. The latest in the long-running series of books of short stories set in Eric Flint's 1632 Universe.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-04-2012 at 12:29 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #12563
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
One of the many pleasures of reading ebooks is discovering an old favorite or even beloved title that now is available as an ebook. Sometimes you are disappointed when the cherished volume fails to live up to your memories or expectations. Sometimes reading the book again is again a revelation or rediscovery of the magic by which a truly gifted author can create brilliant beautiful worlds within your mind - using only words.

I recently noticed that Kathleen Ann Goonan's Queen City Jazz was finally available as an ebook. Ever since I first discovered this book years ago, I have read and re-read and re-read this book (I wore out several paperback copies and finally purchased a hardcover edition) - the writing is lyrical, brilliant, evocative, and deeply emotional. The mental pictures Goonan creates in your mind are wondrous! Simply put, this book describes a dystopian future after nanotechnology has "escaped" and the surviving humans are either hiding from it or infected with it. Goonan takes this basic scenario and applies her imagination - and creates one of the most unique, distinctive, and completely individual vision of a dystopia that I have ever read. A delicious melange of narrative beauty, leavened with literary & musical references -- and flowers & bees! Yes, bees ....

So I bought the ebook and began re-re-re-reading it -- and am being completely blown away again - It's even better than I had remembered. There are so many layers to this book, I think you will discover something new each time you read it, no matter how many times you read it.

Highly recommended!

[This is book 1 (and the best IMHO) of her Nanotech Quartet: Queen City Jazz, Mississippi Blues, Crescent City Rhapsody, Light Music. I hope the remaining 3 are soon issued as ebooks as well]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #12564
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Kathleen Ann Goonan's Queen City Jazz

Highly recommended!
Added to my Amazon wish list.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #12565
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Mutineer's Moon by David Weber. The first in the Dahak series. It was enjoyable but frustrating with the technology inconsistencies. For every deus ex machina there was an anti-deus ex machina. Other errors and I-don't-believe-it actions contributed to the slight disgruntlement. I am unsure whether I'll continue the series. Rated generously C- [3 stars]

Next a change-up. Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey. A humorous murderous Floridian romp.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #12566
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Great read. I had read a Short story collection by him earlier and thought it wasn't so great.
I must say Neverwhere lived up to the hype. Highly recommended!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #12567
MrTenzin
MrTenzin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Picked up Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
Brilliant book, but its taking quite some time. I'm halfway through it, and every page is as interesting as it can get!
Also reading "The Partner" by John Grisham (20%), seems interesting so far!
MrTenzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #12568
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I recently noticed that Kathleen Ann Goonan's Queen City Jazz was finally available as an ebook. Ever since I first discovered this book years ago, I have read and re-read and re-read this book...
...Highly recommended!
Just downloaded a sample.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #12569
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Great read. I had read a Short story collection by him earlier and thought it wasn't so great.
I must say Neverwhere lived up to the hype. Highly recommended!
On my 2012 challenge list, and hoping to get to it in the next couple of months. Thanks for the recommendation.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #12570
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-golden-ones View Post
I'm reading Cassandra Clare's Infernal devices book 2: Clockwork Prince

Never too old for a bit of YA fiction!
I just finished that one. I really enjoyed it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote