Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Question How to enter address into browser address field?

Sorry to be so clueless but have never been able to figure this out.
No matter how much I click up or down the page, the cursor NEVER lands in the address bar. Is there a trick to this?
I would like to enter the server address of my Calibre server into the browser.
Thanks in advance.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
No matter how much I click up or down the page, the cursor NEVER lands in the address bar. Is there a trick to this?
I would like to enter the server address of my Calibre server into the browser.
Thanks in advance.
I haven't been able to figure that out either.
But, it was not my device and I had other priorities - like setting up FBReader180 and Coolreader and other things for new owner.
Then I had to hand over the device[s] so it could end up under the Christmas tree.

I guess that the main priority for developers was development of browser for people with the touch-enabled devices. They might have overlooked "little" detail - that you need to write URL on non-touch devices as well.
All versions of firmware share the same code-base - this is the only way to develop the firmware effectively and now that 602 non-touch models have been discontinued there is not that much reason do develop for keyboard-only usecases.

Another annoying detail that I have noticed that in new models the on-screen keyboard works differently than on "good old" PB360 and 301. On the old devices the keyboard is divided to 5 areas, each area with a few letters. In the first step you choose area of the text by pressing up, down, left, right or OK to select the area and then you move the cursor (maximum 2 steps for letters) and press OK. This way, writing on the on-screen keyboard is substantially faster.

Back to your Calibre-server question
I guess you can set homepage somewhere in configuration file on device.
There might be another browser available - have a look. Sometimes apps marked as "for pro models" work also on PB360+
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119973
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your help, kacir, followed directions to put the midori browser on the 360+ and it won't even open up. Clicking on the app does nothing. Anyone get it working on the 360+??
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
You can try installing my_links, it worked for me.
Just add the line in the file / System / Links / start.html.
the line is:
Code:
<p><a href="http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080">Calibre</a></p>
Instead of x you have to put ip address of the computer where the calibre is installed.
It works and opens the home page of the calibre, but it's useless,
it loads forever and doesn't goes further.

Last edited by nausica; 01-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

You can do it in another way,
creat a copy of the browser.app in the application folder, open this copy with Notepad + +(any text editor will do) , and instead of google adress put “ip address: 8080”, save, and...
in the end you can also rename a copy browser.app in calibre.app .
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Hope
Zealot

Great ideas! Thank you....husband using device now so will have to try it later, but it certainly should work.
How does downloading files work in the browser? Does it download to a default folder?
Like "Calibre.app" idea - brilliant.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
nausica
Connoisseur

No, it saves downloaded files in the root folder in the main memory of the reader.
I still haven't looked for ways to make them download in the Books folder , I don't know if it's possible with these browsers.
Gshank, perhaps, could do something about this.

ps.
you can always move downloaded files to the other folders, directly from reader. This function exists in the menu.

Last edited by nausica; 01-24-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
wfepley
wfepley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Change browser "focus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausica View Post
You can do it in another way,
creat a copy of the browser.app in the application folder, open this copy with Notepad + +(any text editor will do) , and instead of google adress put “ip address: 8080”, save, and...
in the end you can also rename a copy browser.app in calibre.app .
Hi, Nausica: I tried using the "ip..." without the quotes, and it doesn't work in my app file. Should I use the quotes also? My app file is a one-liner.
Thanks, Wfepley
wfepley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfepley View Post
Hi, Nausica: I tried using the "ip..." without the quotes, and it doesn't work in my app file. Should I use the quotes also? My app file is a one-liner.
Thanks, Wfepley
Did you use an actual IP address, such as 192.168.1.20:8080 or just words "ip address:8080"

Just checking ...
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
nausica
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfepley View Post
Thanks, Wfepley
Ciao wfepley
put it without quote, and if that what kacir say is true, you have to find your LAN Ip address:

Click Start -> Run -> cmd then type ipconfig
and there you find address like:

address IPv4.....................192.168.1.175
Instead of http://www.google.com
put http://192.168.1.175:8080

I hope that this will help

Last edited by nausica; 03-12-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
wfepley
wfepley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, Nausica:Thanks so much for laying that out. I got a "connection refused" error window. I must have to use a different ip address, maybe our router. I'll poke around with that in mind. Thanks again, Walt E.
Edit a while later: no luck with that.

Last edited by wfepley; 03-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.
wfepley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Don't know if you solved this, but to get to the address bar you have to long press teh "down" joystick.In fairness, this comes from the manual, here is the relevant bit:
Quote:
Up and Down buttons to switch between active elements on the page (references, text fields, etc.);

-Right and Left buttons
o short press – to horizontally scroll the window content;
o long press – to go to the previous page (Back button) or next page (Forward button);

- the page turning buttons – to vertically scroll the content of the window;

- OK button
o short press – to switch between references and activate text fields;
o long press – to display a context menu;

-holding down the Up button activates the URL bar;

The virtual keyboard to fill in text fields and to enter addresses will automatically pop up on the display.
The browser supports file downloads from the Internet.
Downloaded files are saved to the root folder of the device’s internal memory.

To exit the browser, press and hold down both of the page turning buttons.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Don't know if you solved this, but to get to the address bar you have to long press teh "down" joystick.In fairness, this comes from the manual, here is the relevant bit:
Thank you.
I had PB360+ in my hands several times, but every time I had more pressing things to do than spending an hour or so playing with the browser.
Every time there was a new owner eager to start reading, or a family member trying to get the device ready for a strongly non-technical user as a gift.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
trying to get the device ready for a strongly non-technical user as a gift.
same here now - but I have to say Pocketbook Germany have been sovery fast delivering, I've got a whole month to play with it

Having said that, the link browser isnt' that good in my opinion, and not being able to bookmark pages is inconvenient - why did they not put the same browser as the touch models I really do not understand, since as far as I remember you can operate it without the stylus.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
nausica
Connoisseur

Paola thanks from me too, honestly I have not read the manual.
I agree to the uselessness of the browser.

OT
Instead the browser of sony prs-t1 is a different story, it's just wonderful.