Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
Synsane
Synsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nook Classic Wifi
MobileRead: Read!

Hello,

I'm an avid reader of nonfiction books, but because of my working memory disability I always have a pen and paper beside me to constantly take down notes on what I learn, and things I would like to remember while I'm reading.

Before I had the Sony PSR-350 which I loved because of the PDF viewer. Sadly after a very cold day in Canada, the screen had a glitch, and a small part at the top right became unreadable.

After trying to continue reading and failing to do-so successfully, I put it down; and reading all together(I love technology; never read a full book till I got a ereader).

Then after browsing ebay and researching on new ereaders I got a Nook Classic Wifi for a very good price. I loved it in the beginning because of the speakers to play my reading music, and the quick and easy access to the store(there was already an account on it from the US, so I was able to download free books).

Sadly, I've become displeased with my nook because of the limited viewing formats. Viewing diagrams and pictures is very annoying. That's not a big deal though since most books are plain text. But when viewing PDF files, having no zoom capability, changing the font size does more harm then good. Changing the font is totally pointless.

Looking at friends with the new Kindle and Sony devices changing the landscape, zooming in and out for a neater display had me disappointed in the Nooks capabilities.

I always read on landscape on my Sony.

So now I feel its time to upgrade after reading on the DayBook about a new TouchScreen Nook releasing June 10th, and seeing the Nook Color on Overstock for great prices. There have also been many other tablets and e-readers released as well my question is:

tl;dr

What E-Reader or Tablet would be the best choice for:
  • Viewing PDF, ePub, etc files
  • Highlighting and bookmarking important pages
  • Landscape orientation, Zooming
  • Writing notes*
  • Mind Mapping*
  • Viewing Images(while reading)
  • Playing Music
  • Storage for books off USB
  • Small and portable
  • Reading at night
  • Leisure when cannot read anymore
  • Browsing Capabilities

*Being able to journal, and organize information on the go.
(More likely tablets - maybe rooted NC)

Reading comes first. Reading Music second. Everything else is optional dependent on price.
I've never had iPod or type of Smartphone with App capabilities. They look very interesting, helpful, and fun.

Thank you for reading this rushed thread.
All help and options and opinions are appreciated.
Synsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ...

Questions such as yours have been asked and answered in here .... Which Reader Forum?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Welcome to MobileRead - you're probably going to get moved to the "Which One Should I Buy?" forum but if not you might want to head there and check out a few threads.

PDF files are tricky. I'd suggest checking out either an Android tablet, iPAD or one of the larger screen eInk models (Kindle DX, the Large Sony Reader).
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Synsane
Synsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySynsane has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nook Classic Wifi
Oh sorry for posting in wrong section. I just read the description of the section, and overlooked the obvious possibility of a "What to buy" section.

Could a Moderator please move this?
Synsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I do all (well most) of those things with my Nook Color - I have it set up to run CM7 off the SD card.

Via CM7, you can enable the Bluetooth and pair a keyboard for journaling on the go, or you can download a swype-style keyboard from the market.

The Moon+ reader app is great for highlighting and lets you export your highlighted selections to email, Evernote, just about anywhere actually.

There are quite a few PDF viewers in the Google market - I'm very fond of QuickOffice for zooming.

There's more information in my signature, or you can PM me. Good luck in your quest!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synsane View Post
Oh sorry for posting in wrong section. I just read the description of the section, and overlooked the obvious possibility of a "What to buy" section.

Could a Moderator please move this?
Moved, as you have requested.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle is fairly weak on PDFs, and you'd use a light to read at night, but strong on all other points. The keyboard makes notes, annotation, and then searching for them, fairly easy. The browser is probably as good or better than the browser on any other eInk device, which, admittedly, is saying almost nothing. But I like it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote