Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like sex/love scenes in the stories you read?
No nookie for me. I don't want to go there. 36 12.29%
Love scenes are fine if they contribute to characterization and plot. 165 56.31%
I really enjoy sexuality in fiction. 46 15.70%
Some sex is OK but only in small doses. 38 12.97%
Love scenes are why I read! 8 2.73%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #76
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Do we have another JSWolf who cannot multi quote?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #77
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Well I read it several yours ago (and carefully !) but I'd swear Miles and Taura did it only once.
It's mentioned in _Memory_, in a scene of them together on the trip back to Barrayar.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #78
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Actually, I found sex in some other SF series (like "Gaea") to be more logical and purposefull then in Miles Vorkosigan, where it sometimes seemed to me it only served the purpose of spicing things up. Like Miles and Taura for example.
You keep mentioning Gaea & I'm quite interested in trying them. Unfortunately, they are not available as e-books.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #79
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Well it is only the best ever SF book IMHO !
Can't find on Amazon, Smashwords or elsewhere.
PM me and I'll send them to you, or just buy hardcover, it's worth it !
Author : John Varley
Books : "Titan", "Wizard", "Demon" ("Gaea" trilogy)

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 04-01-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #80
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:

This is all just obvious blatant propaganda as part of a smear campaign, you're just trying to take Poppaea for yourself, like that sneaky Spellbinder recently tried a smear campaign on me to steal my herd...

Its spellbanisher you jackwagon! And what herd? What woman would go for someone so whiny and oversensitive? Studs don't need to complain or claim victim status. They're too busy getting laid. Everything else is just dirt off their shoulders.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #81
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
The thing that made me hate The Time Traveler's Wife was the sex scenes. They were worthless and contributed almost nothing to the book. For a moment it seemed like the author was going to throw something in there that would validate their inclusion, but she didn't.

When it comes to sex scenes in fiction, I prefer it to be clear cut. Implied sex is one thing, because it's usually only there to progress the story for some purpose. Explicit sex tends not to be an issue because I don't usually read the books where I find it. My biggest beef is when I find an explicit sex scene in a book that does nothing for it, ala The Time Traveler's Wife or Cory Doctorow's Makers. It just sits in there as if the publisher grabbed a generic erotic lit. piece, plugged in the names and inserted it in the book.

Annoys the heck out of me.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #82
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Its spellbanisher you jackwagon! And what herd? What woman would go for someone so whiny and oversensitive? Studs don't need to complain or claim victim status. They're too busy getting laid. Everything else is just dirt off their shoulders.

Well excuse me, stud, but what exactly are you doing on your portret ?

Nighty night everyone...
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #83
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
@spellbanisher
well he said herd - you know like a herd of sheep maybe
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #84
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
The thing that made me hate The Time Traveler's Wife was the sex scenes. They were worthless and contributed almost nothing to the book. For a moment it seemed like the author was going to throw something in there that would validate their inclusion, but she didn't.
You could say that about anything superfluous or extraneous, couldn't you? What about a superfluous conversation, or an extraneous character? What about excessive plot twists, or illogical endings? The complaints made about sex could be applied to any element of fiction. It does not matter what an author writes about, only how and why he writes about it.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #85
spellbanisher
Guru

Quote:

Well excuse me, stud, but what exactly are you doing on your portret ?

Nighty night everyone...
To quote Woody Allen, "Its sex with someone you love."
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #86
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
When it comes to sex scenes in fiction, I prefer it to be clear cut. Implied sex is one thing, because it's usually only there to progress the story for some purpose. Explicit sex tends not to be an issue because I don't usually read the books where I find it. My biggest beef is when I find an explicit sex scene in a book that does nothing for it, ala The Time Traveler's Wife or Cory Doctorow's Makers. It just sits in there as if the publisher grabbed a generic erotic lit. piece, plugged in the names and inserted it in the book.
I loved the sex in Makers; it made the stories more plausible to me. I could see them as real relationships that changed over time; it helped me understand the characters because I could relate them to some of my own experiences.

I wouldn't have brought it up in this thread because, from my perspective, it dovetailed so seamlessly with the rest of the story that I have to be reminded that there were sex scenes in Makers.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #87
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Piers Anthony novels would be better off with the sex scenes. Because they generally are creepy and/or involve underage girls.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #88
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oh yeah I love them, the dirtier the better, bring them on baby!
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #89
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Sex scenes are perfectly fine. And sometimes horribly uncomfortable (when done right, great!). And sometimes arousing (but these can be so so cheap! You know the kind, Sexualized situations connected by tissue paper thin story elements. Yeah, we get it, the sex is the main point and if your not here for that your totally in the wrong place!)

Sex is a part of my identity and I assume the same can be said for fictional (or not) characters.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #90
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Sex is a part of my identity and I assume the same can be said for fictional (or not) characters.
So are a lot of other bodily functions, but there is no reason to describe them in excruciating detail.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love scenes, poll, sex scenes