Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Anyone have experience with Clearwire 4G?

I've been getting a lot of fliers from Clearwire recently. My area has 4G coverage now.

I'm currently using Verizon DSL. I'm trying to get FIOS but it requires my whole condo building being re-cabled. Now that I'm getting into set-top boxes to stream content (Boxee Box and Roku XD), I'd like the speed boost and hope to downgrade or eliminate my DirecTV.

So do any of you have dealings with Clearwire? The pricing seems good (less than if I went through Sprint). I also like that I have the option of a month to month deal rather than a 2 year contract.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I used Clearwire in Jacksonville , Fla. . .

After horrible ISP service from the local cable provider. That was about 5-6 years ago. I was pretty happy with it. While not nearly as fast as a cable modem, it was fast enough for uploading high res photos (which are bandwidth intensive, especially in batch).

I have since moved and Clearwire is not available where I am, and Comcast provides excellent sevice, but based on my past experience, I would certainly consider them again.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
if it is anything like Vonage, run far and fast
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vonage is just a VoIP provider. I have them for over 5 years and have been very happy with them. What happened to you?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
After horrible ISP service from the local cable provider. That was about 5-6 years ago. I was pretty happy with it. While not nearly as fast as a cable modem, it was fast enough for uploading high res photos (which are bandwidth intensive, especially in batch).

I have since moved and Clearwire is not available where I am, and Comcast provides excellent sevice, but based on my past experience, I would certainly consider them again.
Thanks GlenB. I ordered the service on a month to month basis (with a too short 14 day return window). I'm supposedly in a very good 4G area, so we'll see.

I've been spending some time on their forums and there are a lot of unhappy campers posting. I posted about my concerns and am getting a good cross section of experience replies.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Vonage is just a VoIP provider. I have them for over 5 years and have been very happy with them. What happened to you?
a friend had it and never had reliable connectivity. when he did have connection it echoed or sounded like he was in the bottom of a barrel
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Thanks GlenB. I ordered the service on a month to month basis (with a too short 14 day return window). I'm supposedly in a very good 4G area, so we'll see.

I've been spending some time on their forums and there are a lot of unhappy campers posting. I posted about my concerns and am getting a good cross section of experience replies.
I'm one of those unhappy campers. The service here has been very sporadic, and I was having to reboot the modem almost on a daily basis. After they moved to WiMax, it was a little better, but they were still having outages sometimes lasting for days. After moving to a different area this month, and getting even worse service, I moved my broadband and phone service back to Time Warner. Now I’m just waiting for my contract to expire in February to turn them off completely. The ETF would be more than just paying for two more months of non-service.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thanks wodin. One of the responders to my post reminded me that even though my data is unlimited, Clearwire can reduce the data speed from the 6 Mbps advertised any time they choose.

Right now, I don't think I'll have a lot of competition in my area because Clearwire is very new and FIOS is being installed left and right.

Quote:
Unlimited Use Plans.If you subscribe to a service plan that does not impose limits on the amount of data you may download or upload during a month, you should be aware that such “unlimited” plans are nevertheless subject to the provisions of this AUP. What this means is that all of the provisions described in this AUP, including those that describe how Clearwire may perform reasonable network management such as reducing the data rate of bandwidth intensive users during periods of congestion, will apply to your use of the Service. The term “unlimited” means that we will not place a limit on how much data you upload or download during a month or other particular period, however, it does not mean that we will not take steps to reduce your data rate during periods of congestion or take other actions described in this AUP when your usage is negatively impacting other subscribers to our Service.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just changed to the Verizon 4G mobile hotspot and love it. If you are shopping, then I highly recommend it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
it does not mean that we will not take steps to reduce
Mrs. Hartwig, my high school English teacher, would have had fits over that double negative! That translates to "we can and we will!"
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I just changed to the Verizon 4G mobile hotspot and love it. If you are shopping, then I highly recommend it.
Are you talking about the MiFi?

I vacillated back and forth on whether to get the Hot Spot version (Clear Spot) or the Home modem. I chose the home modem because I can create a 3G Hot Spot with my cell phone, plus I didn't want to have to deal with keeping it charged.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Are you talking about the MiFi?

I vacillated back and forth on whether to get the Hot Spot version (Clear Spot) or the Home modem. I chose the home modem because I can create a 3G Hot Spot with my cell phone, plus I didn't want to have to deal with keeping it charged.
Yes, the Mifi. We had all of our ATT disconnected and went entirely with Verizon for phone and Mifi. You know that we travel a lot, so we almost never used our landline. And almost always have issues with hotel wifi. Otherwise ATT was perfect. But that os getting away from your original post.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote