Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
celsius
celsius began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy wireless setup - enter a DNS..?

I have the Nook Color. It sees my home wireless SSID fine, encrypted with WPA/WPA2, but I have to enter a DNS for any guests that want to get on the internet. How do I enter a DNS and gateway on the Nook Color...? its pretty much useless at home if I can't. I am tied down to a static DNS for my wireless for security reasons...

any ideas.?

thanks,
celsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Wes
Wes began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Sony PRS700
Celsius,

Why don't you just access the configuration webpage for your access point and enter your dns information? Then devices connecting would get handed this information along with ip when they attach. I don't think there is a way to enter this information manually at the moment. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
Wes
Wes began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Edition, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, and Sony PRS700
Celsius,

Why don't you just access the configuration webpage for your access point and enter your dns information? Then devices connecting would get handed this information along with ip when they attach. I don't think there is a way to enter this information manually at the moment. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Wes

Sorry about double posting. It took an inordinate time to post and appeared twice.

Last edited by Wes; 11-27-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
[QUOTE=Wes;123809Why don't you just access the configuration webpage for your access point and enter your dns information?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsius View Post
I am tied down to a static DNS for my wireless for security reasons...
As for my own contribution, I tried a few tricks and came up empty handed. Sorry, celsius, but it seems as though it is full DHCP or bust.

As an aside, it seems odd to use DNS, of all things, as a security measure. There are plenty of public DNS servers out there, it doesn't stop attackers from connecting to local network computers, and anyone with a VPN connection could jump right onto the network and not even notice the hurdle.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
celsius

I have a private VPN for work and my own personnel wireless router all hooked up to a partitioned Cisco switch. So in order to keep things separated, I was advised by our IT people to put in a DNS every time a guest or wireless user needs to connect. No DHCP allowed because of my static IP. Anyways, I will keep messing with the router and see what happens..thanks for the comments...
C
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
celsius

Funny thing is, even with my Ipod Touch, I can enter a DNS and gateway...you would think that with the Nook Color the same should apply. Seems they missed something here...maybe another firmware version will fix it...!