Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Angry Calibre not finding my Kindle Fire HD

I've looked through the forum but couldn't find this problem addressed elsewhere, so forgive me if it is a duplicate.

I've plugged my Kindle Fire HD into my computer via USB, but Calibre isn't seeing it at all. Is there some setting in either Calibre or Kindle I need to change? It sounds like Calibre does support the Fire, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
The root of the problem is that Google removed MSC support from versions of the Android operating system beginning with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). MSC - Mass Storage Media class mode causes the Android device to appear as a harddrive/thumbdrive. The Kindle Fire was based on Android 2.3 and so included MSC support. But the KFHD is based on ICS and doesn't.

If you are running Calibre on Windows, there is test mode (beta) for MTP support (which the KFHD supports). I don't remember offhand where in Calibre preferences the setting is stored, but I'm sure someone will post details.

Running OSX on my Macbook Pro, I'm dead in the water.... there's no MTP support for OSX.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 09-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The root of the problem is that Google removed MSC support from versions of the Android operating system beginning with 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). MSC - Mass Storage Media class mode causes the Android device to appear as a harddrive/thumbdrive. The Kindle Fire was based on Android 2.3 and so included MSC support. But the KFHD is based on ICS and doesn't.

If you are running Calibre on Windows, there is test mode (beta) for MTP support (which the KFHD supports). I don't remember offhand where in Calibre preferences the setting is stored, but I'm sure someone will post details.

Running OSX on my Macbook Pro, I'm dead in the water.... there's no MTP support for OSX.
Look here.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Today's calibre update contains these new drivers for MTP support.

Anyone running Windows XP HAS to update to Windows Media Player 11 before trying to access the HD using a USB cable.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I got the new update to Calibre and it works beautifully. I appreciate the help, though, guys!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
tjsoundguy
Enthusiast
tjsoundguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire / Touch /Paperwhite
Just read the above thread.

True sadness that it looks like us Mac people won't be able to use Calibre with the new HD Fire devices.

I SURE hope that it will still work on the Paperwhite (not being based on Android & all…)
tjsoundguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connection issues, fire not found, kindle fire hd