Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-30-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
polar12
polar12 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Change kindle font and upload to kindle

I hopefully have a simple task to accomplish, I want to download all the books from my kindle (AZW) change the font to open dyslexic and then upload them back to the kindle - but keep both copies on my Kindle.

So far I have installed Calibre, Alfs tools and connected my kindle to my PC (ubuntu) and transferred my books to the library, I then managed to change the font but when I try to upload to Kindle the font is unchanged, I assume I now have two copies so how to I make sure the new font version is uploaded?

Many thanks!

Ubuntu
Kindle 4
Calibre

Last edited by polar12; 10-30-2015 at 09:22 AM.
polar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Make sure calibre is transferring AZW3 files to your Kindle. (MOBI file format can't include fonts.) I suggest changing the metadata on the version in which you've embedded the font.

Ummm... do remember that just changing the font which calibre uses to display an ebook won't actually change the ebook. Embedding the font will require individual editing of the books, unless there's a plugin that does it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
polar12

thanks yes I am using azw3 file format and when I open the book in calibre its in the new font and looks great.

OK I will change the metadata as advised and try again, if not I will try and find a plugin,

Thanks again,
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar12 View Post
and when I open the book in calibre its in the new font and looks great
While books that you haven't updated don't use the new font? (Just checking that you've not just made a global calibre change.)
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Another alternative would be to jailbreak your Kindle and install the font on the kindle itself.
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The font will show in calibre's ebook-viewer if your computer knows how to find the font.

But it won't show up on the Kindle unless the font is embedded in the book.

Conversions have the option to embed fonts, and add the extra CSS which makes the text use said font at the same time.
The Editor has a Tool for embedding fonts too.

I don't know which one you used to add the CSS.

Now you already have the AZW3 without (?) embedded fonts, the easiest fix would be to go over it once more, with Polish book -- one of calibre's builtin tools.
See Preferences ==> Toolbar to add it to your toolbar or right-click menu.
Or use the shortcut key which defaults to "P".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
polar12

Thanks both,
Yes I think that's exactly it, the font is not on the Kindle, so I need to embed the font in the book.

Also have been researching jail breaking, seems like the additional functionality could be handy too,

Thanks again,