Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Connect Software and Website not CONNECTed?

Has anybody had this problem:

I use the website to browse what's available because it is way quicker than the software.

This morning I saw a book I wanted on the website and so I searched for it via Connect software.

At first I did a key words search using the general search - no joy

I then tried to do a search using the "title" of the book in the title section of the advanced search - no joy

I then tried an "author" search on advanced search- no joy

I then tried "author" and "title" and no joy on the first page of 20 books that may have that name and author.

Interestingly it has given me 19 pages to look through to find the specific book title and author :-o

Is it me or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Andi
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
No, the search function in the software and on the website do suck quite a lot.

For the search problem I had I found that if I found one book by the author, then clicked on the author it shows you their other books this often gave me the result I wanted where the search function alone would turn up nothing.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It seems to be running an individual term search -- i.e. if I search for Tom Clancy (which they ain't got ) it looks for "tom OR clancy" instead of "tom clancy," resulting in 20 pages of not "Tom Clancy" books, but rather books who's authors' names have either tom or clancy in them.

As ultim8fury says, its got a very high suck quotient.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What if you put Tom Clancy in quotes. Then it should search for that literal string I expect.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You'd think so, wouldn't you? It seems to do it today, but I could swear it didn't last week.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
It is a surprisingly bad database search function. I suppose most of us could write a better one. Probably they rushed to market, didn't do a good job.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote