Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Calibre Now Supports jetBook!

I was pleasantly surprised today to see the new version of Calibre, 0.5.10 (01 May, 2009) adds jetBook support. Thanks! This is great news since the jetBook is now my ereader of choice.

Forgive me but what exactly does it mean? I don't see anywhere in the preferences to change output for a specific ereader. Page Setup only gives me choices of "none" and "PRS505".

I am having an minor issue converting pdf's to epub. The author and title appear at the beginning of every new page, which means randomly in the text, in that it will be every 3 or 4 page turns of the jetBook. Sorry I'm sure this is a newbie question, but that is what I am when it comes to conversions.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Support for a device typically means that when you connect it via USB, Calibre will detect the JetBook and automatically transfer ebooks for you (if you want).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually the jetbook support is only tested in linux, it may or may not work in windows and definitely wont work in OS X.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

OK I've got a Mac, but I prefer using a card reader anyway. Now that I have you here (nice to meet you) can you help me with the title, author problem I am having?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no easy fix for that, PDF conversion is just messy.
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I transferred a test book using XP. It does work with Windows.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
galavanter
Zealot

Understand, thanks. I was hoping I could just make an adjustment in the conversion preferences. I just want to add that the same pdf sent to Amazon for conversion to azw doesn't suffer from this issue, for whatever that is worth.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
I transferred a test book using XP. It does work with Windows.
Good to know, thanks. If someone with OS X wants OS X support you need to do the following:

Post the output from
Code:
calibre-debug -d
And then run
Code:
ioreg  -w 0 -S -c IOMedia > log.txt
And attach the file log.txt here
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Understand, thanks. I was hoping I could just make an adjustment in the conversion preferences. I just want to add that the same pdf sent to Amazon for conversion to azw doesn't suffer from this issue, for whatever that is worth.
Yeah well like I said PDF conversion is hit and miss, you'll find the amazon conversion worse for other PDFs. Best to try both and see whic algorithm works better for the particular PDF
Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Pdf is kind of a hit and miss, some work great some dont. What i do is I test with calibre and if it doesnt work I then use solid pdf converted to convert to doc and paste to wordpad so it removes uneeded formating! Then i copy and paste the content into composer to create a html file Finally I convert to lrf or epup with calibre ! Long but it works fine!

Last edited by Student1; 05-04-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
galavanter
Zealot

Geez I got a lot to learn. Thanks to all.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
That's great to hear, THANKS, When Calibre offered me an upgrade last night I passed 'cause it was past my bedtime.

I have been using Mobi files in my jetBook because it is one less step after downloading and MobiDeDRMing them. Now that jetBook is supported, it only makes sense to bring my files into Calibre, and let it handle the file folders so converting to ePub becomes more feasible.

So here’s the question; does the jetBook like ePub or Mobi files better? I noticed that I lost the TOC with Mobi files (actually it’s still there, just at the end of the book and without links)

Last edited by wodin; 05-04-2009 at 03:24 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The jetbook does not always love Calibre Mobi files. Calibre sometimes gets the encoding wrong and the Jetbook is not tolerant. When I convert to mobi for JetBook, I mostly use the Mobipocket Creator.

I tried opening an epub and a mobi of the same source. The epub took much longer to load. I don't know whether this was a special case or not.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
The jetbook does not always love Calibre Mobi files. Calibre sometimes gets the encoding wrong and the Jetbook is not tolerant. When I convert to mobi for JetBook, I mostly use the Mobipocket Creator.

I tried opening an epub and a mobi of the same source. The epub took much longer to load. I don't know whether this was a special case or not.
Can you opena ticket and attach the source file from which you generated the MOBI
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
So here’s the question; does the jetBook like ePub or Mobi files better? I noticed that I lost the TOC with Mobi files (actually it’s still there, just at the end of the book and without links)
A MOBI without the TOC isn't good. Does the jetBook have an alternative way to select the TOC? Normally with MOBI (including 3rd party MOBI readers like FBReader) there is a key or an icon that can bring up the TOC. Two good examples of MOBI TOC are Ring of Fire by Eric Flint (Baen free library) and Thoughtcrime Experiments (MOBI by Arachne Jericho). The former has a TOC at the end, but also a link to that TOC near the start. The latter has an in-lined TOC near the start. Both are addressable as MOBI TOCs. There is a 3rd type of TOC, which is like Ring of Fire but with the TOC only accessible via the MOBI TOC icon/key.

How well do these MOBIs work on the jetBook? Note that both are short story collections and both have some images.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote