Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #286
jswinden
Nameless Being

So-called professional previewers are what I call "jacks of all trades but masters of none." These guys and gals like to be known for being hip and up to date on everything labelled as a gadget. Most of them probably don't even own an eInk reader much less use them enough to know what is important for us to hear about in reviews.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #287
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Are these available in retail stores? If so, go play with it and see what you think.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #288
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Are these available in retail stores? If so, go play with it and see what you think.
None that we have found. I doubt they will be available in retail stores until at least November.

The problem with test driving an eInk reader in a retail store is that they have much different lighting than where you will be reading. So it might look bad in the store but good at home/office, or vice versa. Amazon has a very generous 30 day trial period, and returns are easy.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #289
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
I received mine. Initial impression is I don't love it. Bummer, because I was sure I'd be fine with it, as I'm not incredibly picky about e-readers. For me, it's not so much that I can see the 4 lights at the bottom as there's bad ghosting, some splotchiness, and for some reason the lighted screen isn't as comfortable to read as my K4NT.

With the light off it looks too dark and dingy to read, but the dimmer settings are straining for me. I will offer the caveat that I wear contacts and my eyesight is terrible. YMMV.

It's also much heavier than my K4NT. That's a small thing, but it's tilting in favor of returning this and getting one of the $69 K4NT and a lighted cover. I'll probably give it a day or so and a few more hours of reading.

The cover is nice, though. And the black body is nicer, in my opinion.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #290
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Adding more info to my previous review or comment ...

Honestly? the light is good to my eyes, no strain. And I'm picky with that! It does NOT feel like an LCD, it's better.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #291
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Honestly? the light is good to my eyes, no strain. And I'm picky with that! It does NOT feel like an LCD, it's better.
I agree. When I started reading last night in the dark I was afraid I would feel strain but it was very easy on the eyes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #292
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The thing that bothers me about the light isn't the bottom dispersion but the hue changes in various areas.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #293
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Thanks I read Sarah's review on her blog. She loves hers so I think I will still get one next month. It's not going to be my main eReader just my bedtime eReader. So as long as I can read comfortable in the dark with it, I will be happy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #294
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Blossom, I got this reader for mainly nighttime reading as well. I used it last night and it was great. This reader does have great lighting controls especially for reading at night without disturbing a significant other. You will really like it for that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #295
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Blossom, I got this reader for mainly nighttime reading as well. I used it last night and it was great. This reader does have great lighting controls especially for reading at night without disturbing a significant other. You will really like it for that.
Yay! Thanks! He still grumbles about the Kindle Fire but I ignore him. I mean if I can't use a book light or lighted cover he has to get use to a backlit screen or in this case a front lit. Now I need pick out a cover. I will be ordering one in November. This month hubby got his 40" LCDTV but November's extra is mine. So I am planning a shopping spree.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #296
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
This reader does have great lighting controls especially for reading at night without disturbing a significant other. You will really like it for that.
I'm planning on trying it out during sporting events where the SO demands no other lights be on save the light from the tv. LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #297
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I'm planning on trying it out during sporting events where the SO demands no other lights be on save the light from the tv. LOL
Mine tried to pull that with the new TV. I use it as an excuse to go upstairs and read in a nice and quiet room.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #298
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Yeah but I like to pretend we're bonding.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #299
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Yeah but I like to pretend we're bonding.
OMG my hubby is that way. I want to spend some time with you he tells me then he clicks on the TV. As long as I am in the room reading or on the Computer it's spending time with each other. The only way this works is if he uses headphones or I am listening to a Audiobook or using earplugs. And don't dare ask him to pause TV to chat because it's so much an inconvenience to do so.

I need my Paperwhite so I can read in the dark while we bond.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #300
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yay! Thanks! He still grumbles about the Kindle Fire but I ignore him. I mean if I can't use a book light or lighted cover he has to get use to a backlit screen or in this case a front lit. Now I need pick out a cover. I will be ordering one in November. This month hubby got his 40" LCDTV but November's extra is mine. So I am planning a shopping spree.
If he keeps complaining, hit him on the head, with HIS Kindle Fire, hahahaha... problem solved ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote