Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
1countryboy
1countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
NC Charging Problem

I bought my wife a Nook Color last December (warranty up 19th) and she recently started having charging problems where it will intermittently charge or not charge at all. The LED on the cable will intermittently go to orange, green, but most of the time the led is off although sometimes if you wiggle the cable at the Nook connection it will briefly come on.

I can't figure out if it's the connection on the Nook itself or the cable is bad so I called B&N support and they said they would send a new ac charger. Well I figured I was getting a new power kit but they only sent the charger so that certainly didn't help me troubleshoot. By the way the Nook won't charge via my computer using the cable I have and I told B&N support this.

So does it sound like a cable issue or the connection on the Nook?

I'm running out of time on the warranty so there may be barely enough time to request a new cable and if that doesn't work still send in my Nook or should I just push for sending in the Nook?
1countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
I bought my wife a Nook Color last December (warranty up 19th) and she recently started having charging problems where it will intermittently charge or not charge at all. The LED on the cable will intermittently go to orange, green, but most of the time the led is off although sometimes if you wiggle the cable at the Nook connection it will briefly come on.

I can't figure out if it's the connection on the Nook itself or the cable is bad so I called B&N support and they said they would send a new ac charger. Well I figured I was getting a new power kit but they only sent the charger so that certainly didn't help me troubleshoot. By the way the Nook won't charge via my computer using the cable I have and I told B&N support this.

So does it sound like a cable issue or the connection on the Nook?

I'm running out of time on the warranty so there may be barely enough time to request a new cable and if that doesn't work still send in my Nook or should I just push for sending in the Nook?
Yes, this is a cable problem. This is a well known problem. B&N has probably already sent hundreds of free cables to people with cable problems. Strange that you only got a charger.
You really should request a new cable from B&N.

Until you get the new cable you can use any micro-USB cable or micro-USB charger to charge the NC. You will not get the charging message, but it will charge. Fully charging the NC will take about 8 hours this way.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
1countryboy
1countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Ok I will call tomorrow and request a new cable.

I did try a micro-USB cable I had both with the ac charger and connected to a computer but when looking at the Nook's battery display it shows "Not Charging" shouldn't it show "Charging"?

I also noticed when using the Nook USB cable with the charger the Nook's battery display shows "Discharging."
1countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
Ok I will call tomorrow and request a new cable.

I did try a micro-USB cable I had both with the ac charger and connected to a computer but when looking at the Nook's battery display it shows "Not Charging" shouldn't it show "Charging"?

I also noticed when using the Nook USB cable with the charger the Nook's battery display shows "Discharging."
The charging message is only triggered by the NC power charger and cable.
Although you do not get this message when using another charger (or your PC USB-port) the NC will charge just fine. Fully charging will take about 8 hours, and you cannot use the NC while charging.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
librarianchat
librarianchat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have that same problem where it will not start charging, just have to wiggle the cable around a bit and it usually fixes it.
librarianchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Had the "not charging" problem this morning. Prior to this, no issues at all. I did not have the original Nook cable (I bought the unit used) but I did have two generic USB cables that previously worked fine. Brought it all to B&N this morning and the first thing they did was try a genuine cable with -their- charger and the light on the micro-usb end of the cable did light up and enable charging. One thing that was pointed out to me was that the generic cables I brought to them had micro-usb ends that were about 1-2mm shorter that the genuine cable. Yet one of these cables had been my sync'ing cable to my iMac (and still worked as such this morning).

I decided to buy the new cable/charger set at the store and it runs out my old charger is still good but, indeed, the longer cable seems to make contact with the charging pins on the Nook whereas the shorter cables once did (but no longer do). This is probably a "wear" issue with the female connector.

As I didn't have the original cable, I can't go back to the online store and ask for a new one. Not a big thing; the local store resolved my problem and it was under $30 for the cable and charger. I'm supremely happy with my Color Nook and, frankly, if the unit had gone south and was out of warranty, I was prepared to buy another right there at the store.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Had the "not charging" problem this morning. Prior to this, no issues at all. I did not have the original Nook cable (I bought the unit used) but I did have two generic USB cables that previously worked fine. Brought it all to B&N this morning and the first thing they did was try a genuine cable with -their- charger and the light on the micro-usb end of the cable did light up and enable charging. One thing that was pointed out to me was that the generic cables I brought to them had micro-usb ends that were about 1-2mm shorter that the genuine cable. Yet one of these cables had been my sync'ing cable to my iMac (and still worked as such this morning).

I decided to buy the new cable/charger set at the store and it runs out my old charger is still good but, indeed, the longer cable seems to make contact with the charging pins on the Nook whereas the shorter cables once did (but no longer do). This is probably a "wear" issue with the female connector.

As I didn't have the original cable, I can't go back to the online store and ask for a new one. Not a big thing; the local store resolved my problem and it was under $30 for the cable and charger. I'm supremely happy with my Color Nook and, frankly, if the unit had gone south and was out of warranty, I was prepared to buy another right there at the store.
The NC USB cable has 2 extra power pins (longer than the regular pins) to supply more power to the NC, and make it possible to power charge. All other pins are the same as a regular USB-cable.

You can use a regular USB cable for data transfer, and for USB charging (will take about 8 hours instead of the 3 when power charging).
When using a regular USB cable you will not get the charging message, that is only triggered by the NC USB cable, but the NC will charge.

Last edited by geertm; 12-14-2011 at 03:54 PM.