Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
ebookcurious
ebookcurious began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
950 in Europe / outside of the US

Hi, I want to get a prs 950 or 650. If it would be possible to download free (google) public domain books via Wifi directly to the 950 I would prefer the 950. However members here told me it is possible only when being logged into your US Sony readerstore account and I don't know if it is possible to set up such an account from Europe.
Does anybody in this forum live in Europe/anywhere outside of the US and own a prs 950? Does it work? How?

P.S. I know it is not possible to buy the 950 in Europe, American friends of mine can buy me one. I also know the 3G doesn't work.

Last edited by ebookcurious; 12-17-2010 at 05:11 AM.
ebookcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I am in Taiwan, and I can verify that the 950 downloads google books directly to the machine, but you have to update it to the new firmware first.
Another thing is that while some books may have both pdf and epub format for download, on 950 you can only download the epub format (or so it seems on the book that I tried.)

ps. I do set my account region to the us, though I do not have a us credit card and cannot purchase books (non-free ones) from the sony store directly. So for google books, just setting your region in the us should be enough.

Last edited by antistar; 12-17-2010 at 05:23 AM.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
antistar, can you download from the browser or only from the Sony Store applet?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I downloaded from the shortcut that now appears beside the browser, and see my sony account name while browsing google books. Guess essentially I was still dealing with sony store.

The books were downloaded to the main memory, for anyone caring to know.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
ebookcurious
ebookcurious began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Well, thank you for these informations, antistar ! That's all I really need to know, I think.
Now I just hope the 950 isn't sold out before my friends can get me one.
ebookcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookcurious View Post
Well, thank you for these informations, antistar ! That's all I really need to know, I think.
Now I just hope the 950 isn't sold out before my friends can get me one.
Good luck mate! Seems everyone is running out of readers at the moment!
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Mine was delivered yesterday (Germany), ordered at B&H last Tuesday.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
ThR : can you tell us how much you did pay (in $ and €), with import taxes and shipping ? Did you use Paypal (it's not clear to me what $/€ exchange rate they use) ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Before ThR answers - the toll free amount in EU us 150€, what equals to ~195$ right now.
The base for calculation it the total amount, including the shipping costs.
Then, VAT-free amount is diffrent in each country (e.g. in Poland it is only 22€). The VAT is calculated basing on the amount already tolled.
So, ordering prs950 you should pay ((total costs including shipping)*1.07)*1,23
1,23 is for Poland (vat=23%), for France it will probably be 1,196
Anyway, it s.times (rarely) happens that they don't charge you nothing. That's just luck.

Last edited by grissley; 12-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
I ended up paying $305 for my 950 that includes about $50 for the shipping
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

grissley : the VAT is indeed 19.6 here, I didn't know about toll free amount though. To me it would be more logical to pay : ((Total price in US $) - 195) * 1.196 for France, if you have up to 195 $ toll-free...Also, where does the 1.07 come from ?

Anyway, if you order from B&H, they automatically include the import taxes given the delivery country, if you chose UPS or FeDex. And it's far more than 20%, for example it's about 100$ for a 230$ + 45$ shipping electronic device (namely Sony PCM M10, nothing to do with eReaders). So Federal Express and UPS handle the import taxes themselves, then there's another shipping option : International Express Mail, for which those taxes are not computed, so I don't know how it works, with this shipping method maybe it's a question of luck whether the custom duty holds your package or not. This shipping option is not cheap though, about 65$.

When I tried to order from Borders, they had International shipping for 10$ only, delivery time was 10 days-3 weeks, but at least it was cheap. Then again if you don't have luck, the tax & duties have to be paid. Unfortunately I couldn't order from Borders, else I would have done it.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
I ended up paying $305 for my 950 that includes about $50 for the shipping
From B&H ? With International Express Mail shipping ?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
from adorama, but i ordered it when the price was temporarily at $249 and shipping to Finland was $56 so I payed $305, which came to €232 I did not end up paying tax, as mentioned above by grissley sometimes you get lucky with tax..
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Here are the data from my invoice:

Sony STANDARD COVER f/PRS-950 (BLACK) - SOPRSASC95B 1 $34,00

Sony PRS-950 READER DAILY EDITION - SOPRS950SC 1 $249,99

Sub Total $283,99
Shipping $44,55 (UPS Worldwide Saver)
Sales Tax $0,00
Landed Cost $109,86 (inkl. VAT, etc. from Germany)
Total $438,40

Paid with my MasterCard.

The "landed cost" belongs to the import laws of a country. You will get a detailed list, when you add the PRC-950 to card (which is not possible at this time at b&H because the device is out of stock) and proceed to the checkout. When you change the country, B&H will show the details automatically.

MasterCard uses the exchange-course of the booking day (my information), so the the final cost of the device (with the cover!) was around € 320,--.

Last edited by ThR; 12-21-2010 at 06:52 AM.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #15
Papi
Addict

Thanks for the details eriksnoopy and ThR. I'll wait for the next promotion, the 950 is 300 $ again on adorama, B&H and 290 on Borders.