Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does anyone's Kindle PW not have this? (pic attached)

Hi everyone,

I received my PW a few days ago and I'm really pretty pleased with it. It has some uneveness down the bottom where the LEDs are that really doesn't bother me. I came from a Sony PRS-505 with lightwedge cover, which was WAY more uneven than the PW. Anyway, the only thing that annoys me is the little streak of light down in the bottom, lefthand corner of the device. I've borrowed the attached picture from another thread on here to highlight what I'm referring to.

Please let me know if yours does NOT have this "defect." Thanks,

Kevin

Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (946.5 KB, 1657 views)
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I too have been curious if anyone has a screen *without* it. Mine has it and most of the pics and videos I have seen have it as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't consider that a defect. Mine has that but I never noticed it until it was pointed out on the forums. It's no different than the light and shadow at the bottom, it's just on the edge.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

I've seen others that are less pronounced than mine. I think if it were less bright on my unit, I wouldn't mind it as much. I've seen pictures of other devices where it is much less noticable than mine.

Also, it's not the same as the lights at the bottom... those streaks are clearly caused by the light coming from the LEDs being brighter near the LED than farther away, which makes sense. The left corner is caused by something else, which makes me think it may not exist on all devices.

Kevin
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
I've seen others that are less pronounced than mine. I think if it were less bright on my unit, I wouldn't mind it as much. I've seen pictures of other devices where it is much less noticable than mine.
Kevin
Did you see any of the other units in person? It's sometimes hard to tell the exact brightness in pics and it also might depend on the light setting.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't see such a feature on my screen.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Did you see any of the other units in person? It's sometimes hard to tell the exact brightness in pics and it also might depend on the light setting.
No, I haven't seen any ohters in person and that's part of the problem. Strangly, mine seems to be more pronounced when the light is set to a dimmer setting.

Kevin
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Mine has it too. I wonder why it's just on that corner.

At least yours doesn't have color blobs.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
Yes

Yes, mine has the same small splotches at the bottom but it does not affect my reading. I also have the Touch with the lighted case and that really casts shadows and streaks on the screen. After using the Touch, the PaperWhite is so much better. When I tap the screen with my finger it moves ahead one page. If I did that with the Touch more times than not it shot ahead 2-3 pages. I needed to use a Stylus with the Touch. The other features are nice too, especially seeing how much time is left to finish the chapter or the entire book.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Mine has it as well but since it is very un-noticeable and down in the margin area, I just ignore it. Actually I didn't notice it until users pointed it out.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The four points of light at the bottom are all that I see. I'll trade with you -- mine has the large color blotches.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I can't see that light on my unit. However, I posted a picture in another thread and a couple other folks saw a light there. For some reason I can't see it in the picture or my unit.

I do see the light on the picture you posted.

On the other hand I keep my PW light at level 22 of 24 and that may raise the overall screen light to such an extent that the light now blends in and cannot be seen.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Yep, mine has the vertical screen bleed on the left!

Amazon said it wasn't suppose to be there, and it's one of the issues I'm getting a replacement for..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote