Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
No compatability for 350 & 650!

Doesn't look like the 300 & 600 covers will work with the 350 & 650.
The 650 is 6 7/8" high vs 6 5/8". That's enough of a difference to make the Sony cover attachment not fit. I applaud progress, but it would be nice not to have to replace everything when upgrading. I guess Sony hasn't learned from their DSLR division that it is an important factor, for many, when considering an upgrade. Maybe someone will develop an adapter to make the old cover work? Also, the proper Sony AC adapter is 5.2v & USB is 5v. Don't know if that will be an impediment to adapting the current adapter for use with the 350/650 micro USB connection. I assume that the ckt in the 350/650 would handle the 5.2v, but if they have a sensing ckt it may not work.
I had considered getting a PRS-650, primarily for the new screen, but the deal with the accessories will stop me.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Doesn't look like the 300 & 600 covers will work with the 350 & 650.
The 650 is 6 7/8" high vs 6 5/8". That's enough of a difference to make the Sony cover attachment not fit. I applaud progress, but it would be nice not to have to replace everything when upgrading. I guess Sony hasn't learned from their DSLR division that it is an important factor, for many, when considering an upgrade. Maybe someone will develop an adapter to make the old cover work? Also, the proper Sony AC adapter is 5.2v & USB is 5v. Don't know if that will be an impediment to adapting the current adapter for use with the 350/650 micro USB connection. I assume that the ckt in the 350/650 would handle the 5.2v, but if they have a sensing ckt it may not work.
I had considered getting a PRS-650, primarily for the new screen, but the deal with the accessories will stop me.
Cheers,
kev
I agree it is annoying. However, Sony, Amazon, Apple, and many others all do this. I'm not sure if any new Sony model has ever been able to use the previous generation covers. Certainly no new Kindle model has been able to use the previous generation covers. Most new generations of iPods are substantially different so that cases cannot be used from older models. And I still remember being angry at Palm when they changed their proprietary connector and rendered a heck of a lot more accessories than cases and covers obsolete. But that is how they make money off of us. From a business model it makes sense, but from a consumer perspective it sucks.
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree it is annoying. However, Sony, Amazon, Apple, and many others all do this. I'm not sure if any new Sony model has ever been able to use the previous generation covers. Certainly no new Kindle model has been able to use the previous generation covers. Most new generations of iPods are substantially different so that cases cannot be used from older models. And I still remember being angry at Palm when they changed their proprietary connector and rendered a heck of a lot more accessories than cases and covers obsolete. But that is how they make money off of us. From a business model it makes sense, but from a consumer perspective it sucks.
For what its worth, the 600 did fit the covers for the 505.

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote