Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I can post the batch files and setup, if anyone is interested (and there is some permanent place it will be easily found by those looking for it).
As you say, it isn't hard to make mobidedrm and ereader2html easier to use, the problem is the DMCA in the US, and similar laws in other places, makes in unlawful to do so. Posting such software to a web site (any public web site) is definitely illegal in the US, and would open you up to potential prosecution if you ever touch down in the US (even if you are on a plane to somewhere else). I am obviously pointing out the worse case outcome here, but take legal advice before doing anything publicly with DRM stripping software. Note that in some cases using DRM stripping software is legal, but it is almost never legal to write or distribute such software.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-28-2008 at 05:38 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #32
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Actually, posting a batch file that calls another batch file and the second one that calls a program would in no way violate the DMCA. No actual code that touches the mobi file is in the two batch files - it's basically an extension of the attempts here to help those who can't figure out the command line and using the FOR command, a couple of MOVEs and a REN to make "it" more automated. The "it" could be mobidedrm or mobi2mobi or any program of any kind - it just depends on what you put in the 2nd batch file (which has the same command as has been posted here over and over on how to call mobidedrm). Obtaining the python scripts would be something you must do on your own (and the legal considerations something for you to figure out).

My offer was only on (a) better directions to help those who can't figure out the command line, using only folders on their desktop and (b) a couple of batch files that can be modified to call whatever external program you want, processing every PRC file in a directory, while preserving both the original and a created copy (if that's what the program you call does).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #33
hhardegen
hhardegen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Question about Error Message & PID

Hi

I'm fairly new to this forum having only had my Sony ebook Reader since July but I love it and am totally addicted. So far I've managed to find plenty of books to read that I can convert to lrf with calibre. However I really want to read two books that I couldn't get in lrf (as Sony online shop won't let me buy from there 'cos I'm in Australia) and so I've bought and downloaded them from Mobipocket with DRM. And now I really want to read them! :-)

I've read through lots of the past stuff about python and DRM and have got to the point where I have a batch file which runs but comes up with an error message : Error: no key found. Maybe the PID is incorrect

The PID I'm using is the one that Mobipocket gave me when I registered with them and it is one for my PC as I couldn't get my PRS505 to be seen by Mobipocket at the time. Is this the right PID to use or should I have a different one for each book?

Thanks for your help. It's a great forum.

Helen
hhardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhardegen View Post
Thanks for your help. It's a great forum.

Helen
Are you using the PID that shows up in the Mobireader software? And, the software can read the book that you have downloaded? Every book will have the same PID.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #35
hhardegen

The PID I'm using is the one that I get when I log in to Mobipocket's website. They call it my device PID. It's 10 digits long.

I haven't been able to get the books to read on my PC using the Mobipocket Reader software but haven't really worried about that as I don't want to read them on my PC. I can see the two books listed there. Is there a way to check the PID there?

Thanks
Helen
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The PID I'm using is the one that I get when I log in to Mobipocket's website. They call it my device PID. It's 10 digits long.

I haven't been able to get the books to read on my PC using the Mobipocket Reader software but haven't really worried about that as I don't want to read them on my PC. I can see the two books listed there. Is there a way to check the PID there?

Thanks
Helen
YEs, on the left click on devices, then a pic of a PC should show... then click Edit Properties and it should show you the PID.

What command line are you using with the script?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #37
hhardegen

Yep, edit properties comes up with the same PID I'm using. My script line is :

MobiDeDRM.py bookname.prc bookname.txt MY-PID

The MobiDeDRM.py is a script file I downloaded that was previously a txt file but I renamed it.

Does that help?

Helen
Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yep, edit properties comes up with the same PID I'm using. My script line is :

MobiDeDRM.py bookname.prc bookname.txt MY-PID

The MobiDeDRM.py is a script file I downloaded that was previously a txt file but I renamed it.

Does that help?

Helen
When you try to open the book in Mobipocket Reader, does it ask you for a username & password?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #39
hhardegen

OK, I might be getting somewhere with help from PilotBob and JSWolf. I've been back to Mobipocket's website and downloaded a totally new copy of the book just in case messing around with the first one 'upset' it. With this new copy, I can read the book on my PC. Also, the python batch file runs and happily says it's decrypted successfully so that part seems to be working. I've tried putting the converted file through calibre but it comes up with a page of errors, starting with

"UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 4-6: ordinal not in range(128)"

The converted book file loads on my book reader but the text is in computer-gobbledegook. This problem probably belongs in a different forum section now and I probably need to do more research.

Thanks
Helen
Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have the latest version of Calibre? 0.4.100 is the current version. Another question is what version MobiDeDRM.py do you have? if you have 0.01, you'll need to find 0.02. If you have 0.02 you'll need to update it to 0.04. Thsin link to find the patches that you have to apply yourself to 0.02 are in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...142#post222142. The error you have is possibly due to the wrong version of MobiDeDRM.py being used on that book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #41
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Thanks - this is enough info for my better half to get it set up for me to use this.

I second the comment about how surreal it is to have to go to elaborate lengths to read the thing I just bought. Publishers need to make it a little bit easier for us to give them money in exchange for getting what we want - most books, if I can't buy them in a format I can read easily in an electronic version, I'll put on my queue at the public library.

And thank you especially to the people who offered and provided help!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #42
RWJ
Zealot

As usual, I spoke too soon - I got it working on a book from FW without difficulty, only to try it on a book from CyberRead.com and get this:
Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect

Everything was exactly the same as it was when I did it (successfully) with the FW book.

Any suggestions?

ETA: I found my error, with the help of search and MR. For the benefit of any others who might have the same problem, this is what helped:
Quote:
Taylor514ce:
Here's the problem and the solution: human error, of course. When you download a Mobipocket PX book, you don't have to register the PID on the site. When you open the book in Mobipocket Reader for the first time, it prompts you to login to the site from which you purchased the book, to activate it. This creates a DRM'd copy of the book.

It's rather important to de-DRM THIS file, not the original file you downloaded.

Umm, duh.
And this is indeed exactly what worked. I tried to open it using the Mobipocket Reader on my laptop, it asked me to log in, and then I moved the copy of the file from "My eBooks" to the folder in which my mobidedrm.py lives, and all was well.

Last edited by RWJ; 10-31-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: A-ha! It's good to search the archives
Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 PM   #43
hhardegen

I'm back now.

Have upgraded Calibre to latest 4.101 version
Have added the patch lines to the MobiDeDRM.py file to take the 0.02 one I was using to 0.04

The decrytion says it works in the cmd box

When I try to convert the supposedly decrypted file using Calibre, I get a long error message. Hope you don't mind me copying it all here but maybe it's important:

Job: **Convert book: LordoftheSilent(2)** **tuple**: ('UnicodeEncodeError', u"'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 4-6: ordinal not in range(128)") **Traceback**: Traceback (most recent call last): File "parallel.py", line 928, in worker File "parallel.py", line 886, in work File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 192, in main File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 162, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\txt\c onvert_from.py", line 96, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 1918, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 273, in __init__ File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 387, in add_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 330, in preprocess File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1432, in __init__ File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1055, in __init__ File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1094, in _feed File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 99, in feed File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 138, in goahead File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 315, in parse_endtag File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 353, in finish_endtag UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 4-6: ordinal not in range(128) **Log**: Converting text to HTML... MARKDOWN-CRITICAL: "We've got a problem header!" Processing u'index.html' Parsing HTML... ('UnicodeEncodeError', u"'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 4-6: ordinal not in range(128)") Traceback (most recent call last): File "parallel.py", line 928, in worker File "parallel.py", line 886, in work File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 192, in main File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 162, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\txt\c onvert_from.py", line 96, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 1918, in process_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 273, in __init__ File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 387, in add_file File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\html\ convert_from.py", line 330, in preprocess File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1432, in __init__ File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1055, in __init__ File "calibre\ebooks\BeautifulSoup.pyo", line 1094, in _feed File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 99, in feed File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 138, in goahead File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 315, in parse_endtag File "calibre\ebooks\sgmllib.pyo", line 353, in finish_endtag UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 4-6: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm probably missing something obvious. Sorry.

Helen
Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
try it on a book from CyberRead.com and get this:
Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect
Some MOBI ebooks have no DRM and so don't need mobidedrm, but the more likely reason is that some Secure MOBIs are delivered with no active PIDs and Windows MobiPocket Reader "calls home" to get a new version with the PID included. So I suggest you first open the ebook with Windows MobiPocket Reader and then try mobidedrm using the PC's PID on the copy of the ebook in the MobiPocket directory (usually My Documents\My eBooks).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #45
RWJ
Zealot

Thanks, wallcraft, you hit the nail on the head.