Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Questions for iRex DR800SG owners / hackers /developers

Hi all!

I am curious if anyone here has tried any of the following with the DR800SG yet:
  • Installing a browser (Perhaps midori?)
  • Modifying the firmware to add a calibre library as a source (using dropbox or a web server)
  • Installing FBReader (I caught a whiff of it in a different thread, but not the full story)

Also, if you have found some third party software that is known to work with the DR800SG, can you add it to this list on the wiki?

Last edited by nikkie; 02-22-2010 at 07:15 PM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
FB Reader works fine.

Where would I find a possibly compatible version of Midori to try?
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

This thread on mobileread has instructions.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Thanks Just tried Midori. Version 0.1.09 actually runs more quickly than 0.1.10 which is sluggish. It works and I can open locally stored HTML files but haven't gotten it on the Net. The 3G connection is only active when in the eBook Mall and when checking for new downloads, then it closes immediately.

Without Midori, there's HTML support. Though IREX doesn't mention HTML, I was able to open an HTML book stored on the card by tapping on it (accessed the file via SD card hack). Apparently it uses webkit to do this-- how interesting. Also slow if you're trying to read a full length book in HTML format. Really, really slow to load and then slow to scroll.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
nikkie
Guru

I wonder what iRex's policy is on browsing anything but the emall. The source is open, so I'm sure we could make it work, the question is, how much trouble would we get in?
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Considering the extra $1 charge just to get a newspaper delivered (granted they are about 8 megs), I can only imagine how much they'd love us doing full web browsing . That said, I'd love to see it working!

I did notice a disclaimer that said 3G is free but for companies running their own apps that use data, fees would apply. Wonder if they'll ever be lucky enough to see US companies 1) buying that many DR800SGs, 2) developing corp. Net apps.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
Considering the extra $1 charge just to get a newspaper delivered (granted they are about 8 megs), I can only imagine how much they'd love us doing full web browsing . That said, I'd love to see it working!

I did notice a disclaimer that said 3G is free but for companies running their own apps that use data, fees would apply. Wonder if they'll ever be lucky enough to see US companies 1) buying that many DR800SGs, 2) developing corp. Net apps.
$1 per newspaper? Per issue?

Where did you see this disclaimer? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Actually a dollar and small change. Yes, per issue-- one would have to be crazy to use the service at that rate! Though I have a NewspaperDirect account that I logged into using the device, when I download papers it informs me there will be that additional "wireless delivery charge". I assume that goes to IREX which goes to Verizon since those aren't little old 300k ebooks, but rather 7 to 9 meg files (that look like junk compared to sideloading using PressDisplay's desktop app). That charge hasn't yet appeared on my credit card though...

The disclaimer for corporate app use of custom Net apps is either in the manual or somewhere on their US website, can't recall which at the moment.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
nikkie
Guru

Wow, that's highway robbery. Over a year that would add up pretty quickly.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

Again, we'll see if the charge does appear on my card. But imagine: $9.95/month for a PressDisplay 31 credit pass + $30/month for daily wireless delivery. That's $40/month for a newspaper subscription that one could potentially get from Amazon, Sony or B&N for $10 to $15/month. Granted you get a worldwide selection but most US users are probably not that captivated by Der Tagesspiegel and Le Figaro.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
What about that pViewer/pdf viewer?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote