Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Name Your Own Price--does it work???

I'm not sure this article defines whether "name your own price" models work for books, but the stats are very interesting:

http://blog.smashwords.com/2010/02/w...customers.html

I don't think I was surprised to find that 85 percent chose not to pay. And if you are the author, I guess "success" depends upon your goal when you chose this payment method.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
There is an innate flaw in the way Smashwords counts these "purchases," however. I have read several books with the Name Your Price option. First I download it, which counts as a purchase, then after reading it I come back to review and pay what I think the book was worth. In order to pay, I have to make a second "purchase," which inflates the number of purchases relative to paying readers.

Of course, not everyone does it this way (paying after the fact), but I expect I am not the only one who does. Speaking for myself, I can say that I paid between $4 and $7.50 for the books I read, though one was bad enough that I dropped it less than a quarter of the way through and did not pay anything.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
This is already being discussed - join the fun over here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73509
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote