Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
mlplouff
mlplouff began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Exclamation Problems with 2.0 AND 2.1 - can't create library (Mac OS X 10.9.4)

Okay, I don't know what went wrong. Up until 2.0, Calibre worked great. I can't get either 2.0 or 2.1 to work, though. I get this error message:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.1.0
ERROR: Failed to create library: Failed to create calibre library at: u'/Volumes/Plouff Shared/Calibre Master Library PlouffMain'.
You will be asked to choose a new library location.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 141, in get_library_path
File "lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Volumes/Plouff Shared/Calibre Master Library PlouffMain
'

I don't get asked to create a new library location, though - the app just crashes. So perhaps if I could start Calibre looking at no library at all, I could point it to the existing lib that I usually use?

Advice, please. Thanks.

- mlp
mlplouff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@mlplouff - its a file access error "[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Volumes/Plouff Shared/Calibre Master Library PlouffMain"

For some reason the calibre user is being denied access to that file, it needs to fixed at the level of OS/X, if you know how to manipulate access control lists on OS/X then start there, otherwise wait for an OS/X guru here, or ask on an OS/X guru forum.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Arianarw
Arianarw began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iphone
I'm having the same problem, with the same OSX. Things were fine with 2.0 but as soon as I upgraded to 2.1 I'm out of luck in opening Calibre. The only difference is the name of my library. Can anyone suggest a fix? I'm sort of desperate without Calibre. I did try reverting to 2.0 but the same problem occurs. Also, I need the solution in 'dummy' terms, like 'break and egg and put the contents in a bowl' kind of instructions.

Thanks for any help,

Ariana
Arianarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open Terminal.app and run this command

Code:
/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre --with-library ~/Calibre\ Library
Which will start calibre with a new empty library, unless you already have a library in the "Calibre Library" folder in your home directory, in whih case it will open that existing library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Arianarw
Arianarw began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iphone
Thank you so much, Kovid! It worked wonderfully. It did open up an empty library, but it was easy enough to direct it to the prior library. Thank you for all that you do for readers.

Ariana
Arianarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
mlplouff
mlplouff began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you! Fixed it.
mlplouff is offline   Reply With Quote